Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart meter how long without electricity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

Octopus have said they can book me in for a meter installation.

However I have builders at home and wanted to know hoe long I will be without electricity while they replace the meter.

My meter in under the stairs?

Any ideas?

Hi

Octopus have said they can book me in for a meter installation.

However I have builders at home and wanted to know hoe long I will be without electricity while they replace the meter.

My meter in under the stairs?

Any ideas?
Here’s what SMS (installer) sent to me. It will be the 2nd time they have visited, as previously they couldn’t proceed as meter board needed replacing…
67DBA48A-6297-4DB3-881F-14745CEE0100.jpeg

Gas meters are battery powered, they don't need the power off to replace.

They only need the power off to swap the electric meter.

Usually it's a very simple job. Obviously they wouldn't tell you that.

It depends on your existing install, if it isnt to current spec then they'll need to spend time replacing bits as they can't just stick a meter into 1950's era wiring on the meter side (you consumer unit can still be steam powered though!). Have a nose at your current meter: are the wires (tails) from the main fuse to the meter, and the wires from the meter to the consumer unit ancient looking cables, or are they coloured, relatively modern and fat? And is there an isolation switch between the meter and consumer unit?

If yes, then you'll have an easier time than if they have to replace the tails as well as the meter. If there isn't an isolation switch they don't always add one, but you can usually ask and they'll do it for you for free. Adds to the install time but it's worth having as it makes work on the consumer unit much easier. The guys Octopus use tend to be really good.

I could never quite get the point of the isolation switch.
Does it not just simply do what the master breaker does in your consumer board?
What actually do you gain by having one fitted?
Mainly, the ability to work on the consumer unit (replace it, or add an extra one, if full, for instance) without having to call the electricity supplier to disconnect the power before the electrician can do their work.

Reactions: Toblerone
Last year when Octopus replaced my meter with a smart one the installer pulled the mains fuse to isolate the meter feeds.
Earlier this year before Octopus/Ohme would to fit my Ohme Pro chargepoint Octopus insisted that an isolating switch needed to be installed first.
They did a special visit to fit the isolating switch.

I think the problem is that technically, the master fuse, is owned by London Power Network or whoever covers that area. Technically speaking, an engineer from Octopus (or anyone else for that matter) is not allowed to break the seal and remove that fuse.

This would mean they can't turn off power to the consumer unit and therefore work on it in any way.

In reality a lot of guys will just pull the fuse, do what they have to and put it back. But it makes it a lot less hassle if you have a isolator.

Edit: Hah didn't see Acarneiro's reply....so yeah, that.

I think the problem is that technically, the master fuse, is owned by London Power Network or whoever covers that area. Technically speaking, an engineer from Octopus (or anyone else for that matter) is not allowed to break the seal and remove that fuse.
The cut out (main fuse) is indeed owned by the distribution network operator (DNO), but the electricity supplier and meter operator are also permitted to access it, at least under certain circumstances. The problem is that an ordinary electrician isn't allowed to.

If you have a car charger fitted they generally either need to have a proper dual pole isolator fitted before the consumer unit or also have to book the DNO guys to be onsite at the same time. In my last house I had to pay £120 to get the isolator fitted before I could have a charger as it was a more reliable option than trying to have both booked. This time round when I had my smart meters fitted, I asked if he could fit in isolator switch while he was putting the new meter in and to my surprise he said "yea sure" and fitted one.
I had the power off for about 15 minutes tops, But as stated above it could be longer if they need to fit things like fireproof boarding (I had this in my last house, meter was screwed to wood, which they weren't allowed to do) or move some wires about, as the smart meters are about the same size as the old analogue meters but a lot bigger than the basic digital meters.

The cut out (main fuse) is indeed owned by the distribution network operator (DNO), but the electricity supplier and meter operator are also permitted to access it, at least under certain circumstances. The problem is that an ordinary electrician isn't allowed to.

Didn't know that....interesting. I was told by Octopus that I had to get my DNO in to remove the fuse before their engineer could touch it. Guess its that same old story on who you actually speak to.

So a pretty niche gain, then.

Thank you, was wondering if I’d missed something :)

It's not that niche, since one of the prime examples of needing to isolate is when fitting an EV chargepoint (in the fairly common case where it isn't practical to do that as a circuit within the existing consumer unit).

Without an isolator switch, you either break the law or suffer significant cost and inconvenience getting the fuse pulled officially.

It's not that niche, since one of the prime examples of needing to isolate is when fitting an EV chargepoint (in the fairly common case where it isn't practical to do that as a circuit within the existing consumer unit).

Without an isolator switch, you either break the law or suffer significant cost and inconvenience getting the fuse pulled officially.
Ah, good point.
I assumed most people would be able to just pull a circuit from their board as luckily was the case with me (my house being a new build). I do now remember many posts on here where that was not the case.
Thank you for reminding me and welcome back, I’ve missed your superbly knowledgeable posts and hope to see a few more of them again :)

Reactions: arg
Didn't know that....interesting. I was told by Octopus that I had to get my DNO in to remove the fuse before their engineer could touch it. Guess its that same old story on who you actually speak to.
It's all a bit complicated, and I don't know the rules exactly (and policies vary by region) - and I did qualify it as "at least under certain circumstances". I'm pretty sure, for example, that pulling the cut-out for the purposes of installing an isolator can be done by the DNO, the electricity supplier or any meter operator (not just the one responsible for your meter). That doesn't mean that any particular DNO, electricity supplier or meter operator is actually willing to fit an isolator - just that they are legally allowed to pull the cut-out for the purposes of doing so.

The arcane rules and policies around this are part of the reason why getting an isolator installed is a benefit. Particularly if you can get one installed by the meter operator - maybe even for free - at the time you are upgraded to a smart meter.

EDIT TO ADD: Getting work done otherwise can often result in needing to book two separate visits by the DNO (to pull the cut-out and then to refit it) either side of the actual work that needs to be done. With significant risk of being left without electricity longer than expected if the second DNO visit for some reason doesn't take place as scheduled.

To add to the complexity, historically at least (maybe still?) a couple of DNOs allowed electricians to contact them to request permission to pull the cut-out themselves. Of course, historically, many electricians would just pull the cut-out illegally and then (if you were lucky) reapply seals afterwards and assume no one would be any the wiser. But you really want to steer clear of electricians that do this, as with smart meters the supplier can tell that the supply has been interrupted - and the first you're likely to know about this is your supplier contacting you asking what is going on (with the background being that they will suspect you of tampering with your meter to steal electricity).

Last edited: