Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart meter not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a 1st gen smart meter installed in 2016. I have since moved to another energy supplier which caused the smart meter to become dumb and therefore, I can’t get onto an EV tariff. I’ve spoken to the energy supplier who said they can’t install a new smart meter, and it’s not at all straight forward to upgrade my current meter to smart again, but are looking into it. Has anyone here had a similar situation and know a solution?

I had a 1st gen smart meter installed in 2016. I have since moved to another energy supplier which caused the smart meter to become dumb and therefore, I can’t get onto an EV tariff. I’ve spoken to the energy supplier who said they can’t install a new smart meter, and it’s not at all straight forward to upgrade my current meter to smart again, but are looking into it. Has anyone here had a similar situation and know a solution?
Why they can't install a new one?

When I last moved supplier my meter moved from smart to dumb (SMETS1 IIRC) and the new supplier offered to install a new meter. Along came covid and it got postponed. A few months ago my meter started working smart again and my appointment has been cancelled. So maybe there's a software update that can get them working again or a backend upgrade.