Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SMART (minor scratch and rents) Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What sort of price as this is the main deciding factor?

With the exception of main insurance for expensive assets ie car house etc, I find with many of the smaller policies the financials often don’t work out. It can be cheaper to not have the policy over a few years and use that money for any repairs

Imho, you are talking minor repairs which won't cost much. And then when something does arise, its the hassle of dealing with it, insurance or not.

I was paying insurance for an american fridge freezer for the last ten years and now that its misbehaving. After calling the insurance, I realised that this is not the right product for me. Why you ask?.... To have someone have a look at it it will take about a week and its not guaranteed that it will be repaired on the spot. This is the sort of thing I/you would want sorted pronto and the insurance does not work to that effect. Bottom line is that I can have a brand new unit delivered and the old one taken away in a two/next day turnaround. After paying circa £900 over the course of the 10 years, I have not made a claim and it is now cancelled.

Just put some money aside for such eventualities or you can just take out a credit card at the time that will allow you to defer interest for 2 years or more should the need arise is my advice.

The SMART or scratch and dent insurances are usually offered by dealers and resellers and they cost around £300-400 for 3 years or so. What they say is we can make certain number of claims (usually 4-5 a year)and they fix minor scratches (under 15 cm length) and dents (under 1.5 cm diameter)
I was offered this when I leased my previous car, but I denied it because those minor scratches and dents will most likely be considered as wear and tear at the end of the term.
But considering I have bought my MY and I am planning it to have it for a long term, I thought it may be worth it. But I am not fully convinced if any realistic scratches and dents will be considered as minor by these guys. So trying to see if there is anyone here with the experience of using that. Also most of these insurances are through dealers and I found very few online who offer these to individuals.

Also most of these insurances are through dealers and I found very few online who offer these to individuals.
Likely because these "insurances" are mostly worthless & the dealers use them to eek as much extra cash from a sale of a new car as possible. I had paint chip and alloy wheel cover on my ID.3 because it was offered as a sweetener for free by the dealer. For the type of damage they cover, I wouldn't have paid for them.

Reactions: sakethcr
For the price of individual repairs to alloys and paintwork I figured it was worth having on my last 5 series. Used both paint and alloy cover a fair few times and felt like I was vindicated in the buy. If nothing else, when something happens it totally removes the feeling of annoyance experienced, it’s just a quick call and then fixed pdq. I used direct gap and they used DWV, always careful, considerate and left no trace of the damage.

Reactions: sakethcr
What sort of price as this is the main deciding factor?

With the exception of main insurance for expensive assets ie car house etc, I find with many of the smaller policies the financials often don’t work out. It can be cheaper to not have the policy over a few years and use that money for any repairs
I dont think applies to a brand new Tesla.
How much is it to have one panel scratch or dent repaired
Or if alloys are scratched, if you do not have any Smart Insurance... im presuming £80-£150
SMART insurance covers 5-6 claims a year if i am not correct?

So you would be better off with it?

Or if alloys are scratched, if you do not have any Smart Insurance... im presuming £80-£150

I think so.

I have taken this mainly because mine is a lease car. If I remember correctly I paid around 180-200 for 3 years which I think is pretty good as I used to pay a lot to repair the alloys etc.. with all my previous cars.

I think so.

I have taken this mainly because mine is a lease car. If I remember correctly I paid around 180-200 for 3 years which I think is pretty good as I used to pay a lot to repair the alloys etc.. with all my previous cars.
you may want to check the terms and conditions, what provider did you get it from?
most ask if you are the owner + keeper

Imho, you are talking minor repairs which won't cost much. And then when something does arise, its the hassle of dealing with it, insurance or not.

I was paying insurance for an american fridge freezer for the last ten years and now that its misbehaving. After calling the insurance, I realised that this is not the right product for me. Why you ask?.... To have someone have a look at it it will take about a week and its not guaranteed that it will be repaired on the spot. This is the sort of thing I/you would want sorted pronto and the insurance does not work to that effect. Bottom line is that I can have a brand new unit delivered and the old one taken away in a two/next day turnaround. After paying circa £900 over the course of the 10 years, I have not made a claim and it is now cancelled.

Just put some money aside for such eventualities or you can just take out a credit card at the time that will allow you to defer interest for 2 years or more should the need arise is my advice.
since your fridge is not on the road there is less risk of damage right?

• Funny
Reactions: Billbrown1982
As mentioned some months back, we used Revive! for a single repair and subsequently bought their scratch and dent insurance. I specifically asked their underwriters to confirm a leased car would be covered, which they did. It was about £400 (split into three consecutive payments I think) for 3 years, and you can make three claims every year.

I've not made a claim yet and I'm not sure if it only covers bodywork, but I've kerbed the alloys so frequently (I blame the ridiculously narrow roads near Winchester University!) that I'm going to be getting in touch soon...

I took out alloy insurance and then found the damage to the alloy couldn’t be fixed but I would get £150 off a £450 alloy
You can get rim protectors on some tyres which may be useful

As mentioned some months back, we used Revive! for a single repair and subsequently bought their scratch and dent insurance. I specifically asked their underwriters to confirm a leased car would be covered, which they did. It was about £400 (split into three consecutive payments I think) for 3 years, and you can make three claims every year.

I've not made a claim yet and I'm not sure if it only covers bodywork, but I've kerbed the alloys so frequently (I blame the ridiculously narrow roads near Winchester University!) that I'm going to be getting in touch soon...
Resurrecting an oldish thread just to update people on the scratch/dent insurance offered by Revive!

In a nutshell, like most insurance policies, it's not worth the paper it's written on.

First off, caveat emptor. The policy does not cover alloy scratches. That's entirely on me.

Secondly, they have a list of exclusions as long as your arm for paintwork damage. Also caveat emptor, in as much as I didn't read the Ts&Cs, and should have (and should probably have walked away...).

The context for this is that I found three minuscule stone chips on the bonnet of the M3 recently and thought I'd better submit a claim before the first year was up. Unfortunately "damage, which is situated on your vehicle's horizontal panels, including roof, bonnet, boot lids etc." is specifically excluded. Oddly, the insurance does cover "paint chips... less than 300mm in diameter and no deeper than 3mm", but not "stone chips" (not defined). Reading between the lines (it's quite opaque), if your car was keyed (for example), you'd better pray the miscreant goes for a door panel, but runs out of enthusiasm after 30cm.

Basically, I've paid £400 for three years of insurance that perhaps covers an occasional minor argument with a supermarket trolley, but that's about it. A waste of money, IMO, and a reminder that if something looks too good to be true, well, you know how this ends...

There's more I could say about how both the Revive! technician and their web page effectively sold this insurance as straightforward scratch and dent cover, but given that I did, on the day the first (part) payment went out, receive all the documents, I'm not expecting sympathy from this forum - or a fair hearing from the insurers (Nice1 Ltd/MB&G Insurance). However, I thought I'd mention this here, so that you can learn from my mistakes.

(I'm now off to find someone who repairs alloys - and minuscule Tesla stone chips... Or perhaps I'll leave it another two years until the car gets handed back and throw myself on the mercy of the inspector.)

Reactions: SpanishJ0n