Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart paint repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know how well Smart paint repair works on M3 paint? (Specifically the metallic blue). Through to the primer in parts but doesn’t seem to have damaged the door fortunately (no dent)

E15C52E3-8C34-4C0D-B546-F50ED38B4C41.jpeg

Other half left the car in the highest traffic spots at the supermarket to get lunch, and of course some goon in a 4x4 which is all beat up damaged the door paint as they couldn’t be bothered to watch the doors. She will get strict instructions to park further away, next to an end run or a posh car at worst in future.

Did get them on Sentry but not sure it helps me much.

Anyone know how well Smart paint repair works on M3 paint? (Specifically the metallic blue). Through to the primer in parts but doesn’t seem to have damaged the door fortunately (no dent)

View attachment 831989

Other half left the car in the highest traffic spots at the supermarket to get lunch, and of course some goon in a 4x4 which is all beat up damaged the door paint as they couldn’t be bothered to watch the doors. She will get strict instructions to park further away, next to an end run or a posh car at worst in future.

Did get them on Sentry but not sure it helps me much.
If you have it on sentry make a claim against their insurance

Looks great. What do they mean by “smart repair ?” How is it different from a normal repair?
SMART repair stands for 'Small, Medium Area Repair Technology'. It's the process of repairing a small area of your vehicle to make it look as good as new again, without replacing a whole panel. The SMART Repair service is made to make your life easier and to cut cost.
@bareyb - just noticed you are in the US. Smart repairs may not be a 'thing' in your part of the world, but are essential on our overcrowded island with tiny inadequate roads.

Last edited:
@bareyb - just noticed you are in the US. Smart repairs may not be a 'thing' in your part of the world, but are essential on our overcrowded island with tiny inadequate roads.
I wish they had it here. I needed to have a small 1" scratch removed from my front passenger door recently and after the touch up and the "blending" with the paint on the back door, they had to re-clear not only the front door but the back door too. Cost me $1700.00 for a 1" scratch and I had to rent a car for a week while they did it... Sounds like something like what you describe would've saved me a ton of time and money.

I wish they had it here. I needed to have a small 1" scratch removed from my front passenger door recently and after the touch up and the "blending" with the paint on the back door, they had to re-clear not only the front door but the back door too. Cost me $1700.00 for a 1" scratch and I had to rent a car for a week while they did it... Sounds like something like what you describe would've saved me a ton of time and money.
That was just the sort of thing my 'other' repair was, which was also fixed at the same time and in the total cost. I managed to stab the front bumper with a pair of scissors (don't ask) which was fixed perfectly as well.

Sounds like there is a business/franchise opportunity over there for some enterprising types.

Reactions: bareyb
I think it's language thing. Looks like Spot Repair is the term you need to search for:

Reactions: bareyb
My plumber has just dropped some boxes on the side of my M3 whilst it was parked on my drive, has some scratches and a slight dent on the passenger door the size of a 20 pence coin.

car 1.jpg
car 2.jpg

Plumber has been honest and will pay for the damage, so wont go through my insurance. will want a good repair - looks like this "smart" repair might be the ticket here?

I'm in Hertfordshire - does this look like a good solution - any recommendations for company down here?

My plumber has just dropped some boxes on the side of my M3 whilst it was parked on my drive, has some scratches and a slight dent on the passenger door the size of a 20 pence coin.

View attachment 849416View attachment 849417

Plumber has been honest and will pay for the damage, so wont go through my insurance. will want a good repair - looks like this "smart" repair might be the ticket here?

I'm in Hertfordshire - does this look like a good solution - any recommendations for company down here?

View attachment 849416View attachment 849417

If the paint isn’t broken there, I’d be looking into paintless dent removal and professional flat / polish first. Of course that all depends on the verdict of the dent puller, and the depth of the damage in what looks like clear coat.

Whilst smart repairs can be decent, they can be easier to spot on large flat panels such as a door

Reactions: JupiterMan