TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Smart Plates

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by derekmw, Apr 20, 2018.

1. derekmw

derekmw Member

I just saw this news article for us in CA. One of the things that really annoy me is that we have to put on these UGLY HOV stickers to access carpool lanes. I have never put mine on. Arizona does plates, but this takes it whole step further. You can have HOV access shown on the plates and they go away once your HOV access expires for your year/make/model.

The other usages like showing 'stolen' or for amber alerts is pretty cool too:

Smart license plates hitting California roads

Only problem for me...is the cost. I'm not about to spend $700 on my license plates. lol

• Informative x 1
  2. FlyF4

FlyF4 Son of a MX

Right, too expensive. That's the government for you. And I bet anyone can rip off that plate if they steal the car. I don't buy the idea that it can't be removed.

3. Ski_

Ski_ Enthusiast

$7 monthly fee after the huge purchase price. So sick of monthly fees...

4. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

I second that. $700 with no monthly fees would be too much for what is basically a Kindle on its side. The monthly fees just make it worse.

Still, I look forward to the day that people figure out how to hack them over the air, and everyone's car ends up with obscene messages.

• Funny x 3
  5. FlyF4

FlyF4 Son of a MX

Oh gosh, you reminded me of something. A friend with a new M3 down in the SF bay area applied for custom plate "Titsla". It was not approved !!!

• Funny x 2
  6. jimmyjohn

jimmyjohn Member

"SMART PLATES" ... Dumb consumer.

• Funny x 2
  7. Phrixotrichus

Phrixotrichus Member

Selling refurbished kindles for 700$ AND a monthly fee....that`s indeed very smart.

Buying that, however, is definitely not.