Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Plates

derekmw

Oct 3, 2016
San Diego, CA
I just saw this news article for us in CA. One of the things that really annoy me is that we have to put on these UGLY HOV stickers to access carpool lanes. I have never put mine on. Arizona does plates, but this takes it whole step further. You can have HOV access shown on the plates and they go away once your HOV access expires for your year/make/model.

The other usages like showing 'stolen' or for amber alerts is pretty cool too:

Smart license plates hitting California roads

Only problem for me...is the cost. I'm not about to spend $700 on my license plates. lol

• Informative
Reactions: Ski_

DOCAL

May 5, 2016
San Jose, CA
$7 monthly fee after the huge purchase price. So sick of monthly fees...

I second that. $700 with no monthly fees would be too much for what is basically a Kindle on its side. The monthly fees just make it worse.

Still, I look forward to the day that people figure out how to hack them over the air, and everyone's car ends up with obscene messages.

FlyF4

Son of a MX
Mar 21, 2017
moved to San Diego
I second that. $700 with no monthly fees would be too much for what is basically a Kindle on its side. The monthly fees just make it worse.

Still, I look forward to the day that people figure out how to hack them over the air, and everyone's car ends up with obscene messages.
Oh gosh, you reminded me of something. A friend with a new M3 down in the SF bay area applied for custom plate "Titsla". It was not approved !!!

• Funny
Reactions: Fusion and DOCAL

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC