TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Smart Pre-conditioning revisited?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Caligula, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Caligula

Caligula Member

I haven't looked into this at all after turning it off last year, so I'm wondering if anyone has has any positive experience with it lately? I'd like to think the SPC programming would have been fine tuned given how many software pushes I've received since I last tried it... but who knows? Anyone?

2. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

Still terrible. I have continued to test it periodically and I frequently find HVAC running at times I would never regularly be driving. I can only imagine the number of times I haven't been around to notice it running.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. Evee

Evee Member

Would love to be able to edit the schedule like a nest thermostat. Would be a much better system. I'll turn it back on then.

• Like x 1
  4. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Agreed. Nest-like scheduling would be ideal, or at least the option for it....there's some that let Nest figure it out, and that's fine, but I'd rather define the schedule.

• Like x 1
  5. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I'm also a +1 for nest like functionality.

• Like x 1
  6. RamshakleZ

RamshakleZ Member

"Nest like" functionality is an incorrect term here. The whole point behind Nest is that you let it figure things out on its own (which is what the current <terrible> Tesla functionality also attempts). If you want scheduling, a vast majority of plain old thermostats in homes can do that. No Nest necessary. Sure, Nest's GUI is nicer but the core scheduling functionality isn't much different than a plain Jane thermostat.

That said, I agree that being able to manually schedule would be better than "Nest like" functionality.

7. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

My commute schedule is not regular. A pre-condition in response to a keyword available in a calendar event would be very helpful.

8. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Member

i dono... its pretty fun finding my car blasting the air conditioning all day while im sitting at home in my undies...

9. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I don't use it either. But Sam Gabbay's app Energi will allow you to set alarms on your phone that will ask you if you want to turn it on, based on your settings. That's a good way there. You'll find it on the forum. Nice app.

10. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Sort of. 'Nest like' can be either option. Either let the house (car) figure it out based on usage patterns, or provide a robust scheduling engine. I know plenty of people that have replaced a basic stat with Nest and saved money, but more money is saved (typically) by creating your own schedules (and then add geo-fence logic etc).

11. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Member

Hopefully this is on topic:

If I leave for work at 06:00 most weekdays, what is the best way, currently, to have the car heat up (in Winter) just prior to that?

Happy to set a schedule for the week ahead, or to select it "the night before", but not so sure about doing it from APP "now" first thing when i wake up (but maybe that's the answer, currently?)

12. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

Unfortunately, the only (supported) method is to manually turn it on from the app. In the winter, I generally do this while eating breakfast and the timing works out pretty well. Another option is to use the Visible Tesla java app. You can set up a schedule there. However, it only runs on a PC/Mac (or other java platform), and you have to leave your computer running all the time.

• Like x 1