Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Pre-conditioning revisited?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't looked into this at all after turning it off last year, so I'm wondering if anyone has has any positive experience with it lately? I'd like to think the SPC programming would have been fine tuned given how many software pushes I've received since I last tried it... but who knows? Anyone?

"Nest like" functionality is an incorrect term here. The whole point behind Nest is that you let it figure things out on its own (which is what the current <terrible> Tesla functionality also attempts). If you want scheduling, a vast majority of plain old thermostats in homes can do that. No Nest necessary. Sure, Nest's GUI is nicer but the core scheduling functionality isn't much different than a plain Jane thermostat.

That said, I agree that being able to manually schedule would be better than "Nest like" functionality.

"Nest like" functionality is an incorrect term here. The whole point behind Nest is that you let it figure things out on its own (which is what the current <terrible> Tesla functionality also attempts). If you want scheduling, a vast majority of plain old thermostats in homes can do that. No Nest necessary. Sure, Nest's GUI is nicer but the core scheduling functionality isn't much different than a plain Jane thermostat.

That said, I agree that being able to manually schedule would be better than "Nest like" functionality.
Sort of. 'Nest like' can be either option. Either let the house (car) figure it out based on usage patterns, or provide a robust scheduling engine. I know plenty of people that have replaced a basic stat with Nest and saved money, but more money is saved (typically) by creating your own schedules (and then add geo-fence logic etc).

Hopefully this is on topic:

If I leave for work at 06:00 most weekdays, what is the best way, currently, to have the car heat up (in Winter) just prior to that?

Happy to set a schedule for the week ahead, or to select it "the night before", but not so sure about doing it from APP "now" first thing when i wake up (but maybe that's the answer, currently?)

Hopefully this is on topic:

If I leave for work at 06:00 most weekdays, what is the best way, currently, to have the car heat up (in Winter) just prior to that?

Happy to set a schedule for the week ahead, or to select it "the night before", but not so sure about doing it from APP "now" first thing when i wake up (but maybe that's the answer, currently?)
Unfortunately, the only (supported) method is to manually turn it on from the app. In the winter, I generally do this while eating breakfast and the timing works out pretty well. Another option is to use the Visible Tesla java app. You can set up a schedule there. However, it only runs on a PC/Mac (or other java platform), and you have to leave your computer running all the time.

Reactions: WannabeOwner