Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'Smart preconditioning' is a misnomer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They should have called it 'dumb as a doorknop battery charge drain', for a more descriptive name.

After almost 4 years of leaving the house at 8am, it still rarely warms up the car around that time. However, around 9pm, a time I literally never use my car, it is heating up.

The car has had several repairs and has had several resets, but to no avail. They just cannot get it to work properly. Does anybody share this experience? Does anybody know a solution?

And can anybody with autopilot confirm that autopilot doesn't use the same algorithm?

IIRC, even Elon once joked about how bad this smart preconditioning was.

I've always been for "stupid preconditioning" : "Stupid Preconditioning". Can we have that, pleeeeease ?. No idea why we can't simply tell our cars what schedule they should abide by to warm our cars up in the morning (I know there are third party apps doing this but I don't very much like the concept of third party apps controlling my car)

And yes, fortunately AP is a lot smarter!

• Funny
Reactions: PJFW8 and ReddyLeaf
Yes, I turned it off immediately. My 2011 Leaf preconditioning works better. Come on Tesla, you can do better. Hmmm, maybe Tesla forgot to factor in the time difference between CA & the Netherlands.;)

Its a California car, so the ability to schedule preheating will never happen, and ability to schedule the car to finish a charge right before you leave for work will never happen, just like there are no separate HEATER settings for the HVAC system, and so on.

Its a California car, so the ability to schedule preheating will never happen, and ability to schedule the car to finish a charge right before you leave for work will never happen, just like there are no separate HEATER settings for the HVAC system, and so on.

I use this TMC vendors app to complete charging at a specified time. Works perfectly
There are also some climate controls but I’ve never used them
Android only and there is a cost
I think you can get a trial or demo

Vendor - Dashboard for Tesla - the better app for your Tesla

Reactions: Cnixon
I tend to use the app to heat my car up. I don't like the idea of it running the heat or air if I'm not using the car so like weeks I take vacation or holidays. Kind of surprised this feature isn't solid though should be a simple scheduler.

Mine has only worked two or three days out of the two months I have had my Model S and it's getting colder so it's becoming more annoying. I miss the "go time" feature of my previous car, a Fusion Energi. It worked every time and I was able to schedule in five minute increments. I would like to have them just put in a daily scheduler like the Fusion and call it done. If I need to change it the phone app would work just fine to start it earlier or to cancel. I feel like I took a huge step backwards with the Tesla as it is such a great feature that only an electric car could do safely inside a garage.

Including and by no means limited to:

1. Smart preconditioning (see above)
2. Web browser (lol)
3 Bioweapons defense mode (too loud, eats battery)
4. Media management
5. UI inefficiencies (e.g., how many taps does it take to keep Nav on top and the rear camera on the bottom after trying to select a podcast?)
6. No glass breakage sensors
7. No rear (trunk/hatch) 12V port
8. No in-car hotspot
9. No 360 view
10. HUD, side (mirror) cameras
11. Massaging seats
12. Significant noise reduction at speed

I hope the Audi guy that Tesla hired to, in part, refresh the interior, has Apple-esque UI skills.

He could hit one out of the park by delivering *fully functional and optimized* versions of the above.

5+ years without a functioning web browser (try loading a pdf file or using Tesla’s own Design Studio)?

I think we’re past the proof of concept stage...

These design afterthoughts *polite cough* will become even more important as the competition materializes. It’s not just about EV range. They’ll compete for AP features *as well as* for whatever the competition’s marketing teams can inject into the minds of the buying public as “must-have” or “gee whiz” features.

So... this third arena (non-range, non-AP) is certainly one in which the aforementioned Audi guy could deliver a differentiating win for Tesla.

I'm a software developer, so I wrote my own external process that turns the climate control on and off at the right times.
Tasker to the rescue. On the point of AP being much smarter. Maybe if you could programme the car to turn the heating on when it can see a dustbin/trashcan! then it could turn on at least one day a week when everyone puts their bins (lets stick with uk!) out once a week.

Including and by no means limited to:

1. Smart preconditioning (see above)
2. Web browser (lol)
3 Bioweapons defense mode (too loud, eats battery)
4. Media management
5. UI inefficiencies (e.g., how many taps does it take to keep Nav on top and the rear camera on the bottom after trying to select a podcast?)
6. No glass breakage sensors
7. No rear (trunk/hatch) 12V port
8. No in-car hotspot
9. No 360 view
10. HUD, side (mirror) cameras
11. Massaging seats
12. Significant noise reduction at speed

I hope the Audi guy that Tesla hired to, in part, refresh the interior, has Apple-esque UI skills.

He could hit one out of the park by delivering *fully functional and optimized* versions of the above.

5+ years without a functioning web browser (try loading a pdf file or using Tesla’s own Design Studio)?

I think we’re past the proof of concept stage...

These design afterthoughts *polite cough* will become even more important as the competition materializes. It’s not just about EV range. They’ll compete for AP features *as well as* for whatever the competition’s marketing teams can inject into the minds of the buying public as “must-have” or “gee whiz” features.

So... this third arena (non-range, non-AP) is certainly one in which the aforementioned Audi guy could deliver a differentiating win for Tesla.
In the uk we HAVE to have a 'tilt' sensor for the alarm, unfortunately it disables (greys out) the interior temperature over-temperature protection. ugh!