TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Smart Preconditioning

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by scaesare, Jan 23, 2015.

1. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

So I thought I'd start a separate thread for this specific feature rather than have it get buried in the general 6.1 thread.

Has anybody had smart preconditioning kick in for them yet?

I've only had 6.1 for 3 days, and as luck has had it my schedule has been pretty wonky since then, so my car hasn't seen a consistent baseline for my schedule yet.

If anybody has seen it start working, how long did it take for your car to learn, and what's the behavior?

2. Newscutter

Newscutter Member

Pretty rigid/OCD with the times I commute-- down to the minute-- so preconditioning is welcome.

I just installed 6.1 last night and this morning the car didn't make any effort to precondition-- so at the very least, I can confirm that the feature does NOT use any of the preexisting on-board logs. (which seems like an obvious thing to do??)

3. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

I wondered if the navigation route-planning feature introduced with 6.0 would have captured the typical commute times and that similar data may be used for the SP algorithm...

4. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

I installed 6.1 last night, and seems preconditioning is off by default. I'll switch it on.
    Should be pretty easy for the car to learn my schedule as I leave at the same time everyday except Sunday.

5. R²B

R²B All Star

#5 R²B, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    My preconditioning started a few days ago. The car starts climate controlling around 8:00am in the morning M-F. Looks like it took about a week and half to learn.

6. DieAbetic

DieAbetic Member

I've had 6.1 since it came out. It took (from what I noticed in my morning daze) about 5 days for the pre-conditioning to learn my work schedule. I leave at 7:30am on the dot almost every day, I noticed one day it was pre-conditioning at about 7:10-15am. No idea if it started earlier than that.

7. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Cool... thanks for the feedback.

Wonder if it's smart enough to watch for weekend differences.

8. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

I had smart preconditioning on for about a week or more up through a couple days with 2.2.113 and it wasn't doing a good job for me. My schedule for the work commute is very regular, but after work I would leave the house again on most days - at different times. I found the smart conditioning kicking in one evening as the car sat in the garage just by chance as I was looking at the app. At that point I just turned off the feature because I felt like it was wasting energy more than conserving. I know it's in the early stages so I'll give it some more time and maybe give it another shot later. I would probably prefer a non-smart preconditioning. :p

9. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

How much variation is there in your daily schedule?

10. R²B

R²B All Star

Not much. I leave within the same 30 min window pretty much everyday. I'll check tomorrow (Saturday) and see if it takes the weekends off.

11. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Well, despite only having 6.1 for 3 days and not leaving consistently each day, the car was warmed up for me today when I left about 2 hours early today... I'll have to check and see if it's enabling the HVAC early and just letting it run...

12. arijaycomet

arijaycomet Member

Have we been able to confirm, does the precondition ONLY occur when plugged in? Or will it also occur at other times? For me, I'm plugged in before leaving for work (AM), but would love preconditioning to occur before I leave work (on battery)

13. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

In my limited testing, I only saw preconditioning while plugged in.

14. efusco

Thanks, my mornings, 4 days a week, are fairly consistent, but my very first day was about an hour earlier than my usual. My afternoons, leaving work, again just 4 days a week, are within about 30 minutes of each other most days. I'm curious how well it does predicting my travels.

Also, do you have to leave the AC turned on for it to work? I sometimes turn mine off.

15. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Mine was that latter scenario... sitting at my work parking lot this afternoon while not plugged in... the car was nice and toasty when I got inside.

16. efusco

Good to hear.

17. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Very surprised at that. The release notes say it happens if the car is plugged in. Some would not want the car to be routinely preheated from the battery because of the effect on range. Of course you could do it manually from the app.

18. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Hmm, where do you see that in the notes? According to the Release Notes online:

I haven't compared the notes in-car with those online, but my experience is that it happened while unplugged...

19. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

I read "it will start preconditioning when you are charging at home or at work" without the commas. Otherwise it didn't make sense to me. What would "start preconditioning when you are charging" mean as a separate item from "home" and "work" ?

20. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Yeah, that phrasing could be better. It looks like it must mean that it will start pre-conditioning at home or at work, even if charging. The way it's written you aren't sure if "charging" is a prerequisite for it to kick in, or even just "plugged in".