Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Preconditioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to prolong this OT issue - but if the Nest in the cabin is accessible off the net, then its easy to simply turn it OFF from the app. (Just like switching OFF a manual thermostat). And then turn it back ON when driving up to the cabin.

Yep. That's what he does now, although in the winter he can't turn it completely off. He sets it to 10 C when away. The problem was he had it set for "smart Away" or whatever Nest calls it and it would turn itself back up to 22 C at various intervals. He has figured out how to disable that and just use the "manual" Away feature.

To bring this back on topic, this would be my concern with smart pre-conditioning. The car may be heating/cooling at intervals on its own. Aside from the waste of power, there is the issue (admittedly small) of consuming more of your finite charge/discharge cycles on the battery when it does this needlessly. I would prefer a programmable schedule I can set myself, with the ability to do so via the app.

I've had the latest 6.1 since Saturday. Drove the car for a couple hours on Sunday and then Monday my hisband drove it to from work. Yesterday he said when he got in from work there was an error message about the smart preconditioning not being able to work because a door had been left open (even though he said all the doors were closed and he was able to lock the car (something you CANNOT do if a door isn't completely shut) then last night about 30 minutes after he got home I went out in the garage and I heard the fan on. Opened the door and the AC was blasting and it was freezing inside the car. Turned off the climate. Three hours later I went out to the car to get my daughter some meds from the store and again the climate is on full blast with AC running. (It was 39 degrees F. All the windows were frosted so it had been running awhile. Weve yet to leave the house at 8pm since getting 6.1 so I have no idea why it was just running nor have we used the AC since getting it. I tuned off the smart preconditioning for now and sent a message to tesla. I love the idea of this but don't understand the thought of turning on at od times with odd temps.

I have had my Smart Preconditioning active for 3 weeks now, but have yet to see it actually warm my car ever (besides once late Saturday evening, a time I have never driven at). I have scheduled the car to start charging at 04:00, I leave for work at 06:35 (plus or minus 5 minutes) every workday, and I keep using the mobile access to start heating my car at around 06:10. I have never seen the car having been smart enough to start preconditioning by itself.

It could be that it would warm the car for less than 20 minutes before I start driving, but I prefer to heat for at least 20 minutes, preferably 30 minutes.

Actually the mornings are less important to heating the car than when I leave work for home, but since I don't plug in at work it probably does not preheat then. This week my 3G did not work on one day, and the car was cold when I started driving home.

Too bad the feature seems to be pretty useless, I had hoped it would learn at least to warm the car in the mornings when plugged in, with my very regular schedule (more than 10 minute variation either way is extremely rare).

I too wish for a manual schedule, something like Tesla Companion had. That worked very well (when my 3G stayed on).

This should move to a Poll, Does Smart Conditioning work for you?

No, I've disabled the feature due to completely random temperatures and times. I checked the app at work the other day and saw the interior was 99 degrees. (I'm in Denver, ya know?)
It must have been on for hours.
I've also noticed that the pano roof will vent/12% as well. (Based upon my drive style, I always have it open)
Anyone else had the roof open?

The car sends a notification when it's done charging... it really needs to send one when it's preconditioning...

Definitely! I wish I was notified when it started heating the car so I could cancel it if not needed.
A few times this week I have gone to preheat the car before leaving work only to notice it was at 11 degrees inside the car (it is below zero here this week). So it probably preheated it an hour ago and the temperature continued to drop inside the car. And I wasn't plugged in, so it wasted part of my battery.

We need that notification when it starts preconditioning.

My car seems to precondition pretty early compared to when I leave in the morning. I usually try to do it ~15 min before I leave which has been really close to 6:40 all this week and at 6 when I check the app my car has already turned on the heater. temp is mid 50s in the am currently and heat set 69-70 so shouldn't need that much time to heat

I asked about this when I was at the SC yesterday. They said that it's still in beta and that tweaks will be coming. But they also said that unless you have the exact same sheduke every single day it won't work very well. Meaning if you come home late and then an hour later go to the store and come home the car right now will try to warm or cool at random times. I've just turned it off. For now.

I suspect it passed the wiggle test in the lab.

They could have programmed the learning to start before turning the functionality on, and then in .115 added a prompt to say "Smart Preconditioning would have turned on your climate control at XYZ today. Do you wish to enable this feature?" Add in an editable list of such decisions, and I think many people would be MUCH happier than it.

While the fancy auto-programming, ala The Nest, is cool. I could stand to just have a manual program mode. My home thermostat allows me to program for weekday and weekend times that suit my typical schedule. This would seem to be easier.

At the least a way to pull up the self-programmed list and delete the auto-programmed options you don't want so it could be customized.

While the fancy auto-programming, ala The Nest, is cool. I could stand to just have a manual program mode. My home thermostat allows me to program for weekday and weekend times that suit my typical schedule. This would seem to be easier.

At the least a way to pull up the self-programmed list and delete the auto-programmed options you don't want so it could be customized.

On-Off is the best feature of automation systems. Glad they included it here. I find most around me head to off after the initial period.

So I thought I'd start a separate thread for this specific feature rather than have it get buried in the general 6.1 thread.

Has anybody had smart preconditioning kick in for them yet?

I've only had 6.1 for 3 days, and as luck has had it my schedule has been pretty wonky since then, so my car hasn't seen a consistent baseline for my schedule yet.

If anybody has seen it start working, how long did it take for your car to learn, and what's the behavior?

Rather then "Smart Preconditioning", it should be a "Scheduled Pre-conditioning" that would allow us to set specific times that it would pre-condition. I have found the smart pre-conditioning to not be so smart and have turned it off as it kept starting at times that really were not a valid trend.

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before in this thread (or elsewhere). Do you have to select "Work" and "Home" from the Nav screen in order for the learning process to know that you are going to and from Work? Or is the learning process simply related to the time you get in your car and leave home regardless of destination and the time you leave work regardless of the destination?

Some new information to throw into the mix...

Does not seem to use GPS (started for me on Friday in the afternoon while I was at home thinking I was leaving work).
Does not require being plugged in to start the preconditioning.