TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Smart Preconditioning

Discussion in 'Model S' started by richardl007, Dec 19, 2015.

1. richardl007

richardl007 Member

Wouldn't it be nice ti get a notification when Smart Preconditioning started? This way we could either turn it off (if not needed) and understand when and why it's on.

2. Screwbal

Screwbal Member

I still have yet to turn this on but it's because I'm on vacation from work right now. Any clue if this just preheats the cabin or does it warm the battery so the yellow bars are gone when you set off?

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Preheating the cabin will warm the battery, but the yellow bars will be at 30 or 35 (instead of close to zero). I've found that when the bars are > 30 there isn't much difference between that and no bars in city driving. However, you'll likely have a better experience if you manually control the preheating as the smart preconditioning isn't very reliable yet (starts at odd times). Also setting the charge timer so that it ends about the time you are ready to start driving in combination with cabin heating will remove the bars if the temperature is around freezing (much below freezing and 30 - 35 is all you can expect).