Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Scratch Insurance....Worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Billbrown1982

TM3 LR 2021 | Red | FSD
Dec 21, 2020
Basildon
Hey guys,

So with my last 3 new cars, I've always had the dealer throw in 3 or 5 years worth of scuff and scratch insurance for free (I know I'm sure I paid for it in a roundabout way) but i've always quite liked the reassurance of having it there.

I remember once my other half leant something up against my car and it slipped and put a load of scratches down the wring...luckily it only cost me £10 to get it repair (and a couple hundred for her funeral afterwards)

This time around though I find myself looking at options to buy it myself, I hadn't thought of it until I got a GAP insurance quote and they wanted £185 for a years worth of smart insurance....which seems excessive.

I'm getting the car PPF'd at the front end anyway and ceramic coated all over, so if I do get a scratch fixed its then going to have to be ceramic'd again etc etc...it just adds up and maybe I should just go somewhere that does it all.

I'm bound to pick up some scratches etc in car parks though, so whats your suggestions please?

My approach was going down the full PPF option (post lockdown) but I too am keen to see if there are any other options.

Why would you not go full PPF?

Honestly, the difference in price. In an ideal world I probably would but they want SO much more for a full PPF vs the front, which is kind of weird on a Tesla as in my mind, excluding the entire glass roof there's not that much left to do.

I'm paying somewhere around 1750 for the full frontal. Total car is over 3k.

Honestly, the difference in price. In an ideal world I probably would but they want SO much more for a full PPF vs the front, which is kind of weird on a Tesla as in my mind, excluding the entire glass roof there's not that much left to do.

I hear that. I managed to negotiate 2.5k and still not 100% sure but I think I will do it for that price. The lockdown has just got me questioning it far longer lol.

I hear that. I managed to negotiate 2.5k and still not 100% sure but I think I will do it for that price. The lockdown has just got me questioning it far longer lol.

Totally get that...I don't consider the backend high risk but really do wish I could have the doors done, the way people just throw their doors open without a care in the world is...frustrating to say the least.

2.5 seems like a good price though!

I looked at some options when I first got my car and almost purchased here:

https://www.tidyalloys.com/cosmetic-purchase/

£10 excess as you're used to with a £3000 aggregate claim limit, each repair being a minimum deduction of £250 from the £3000. 12/24/36 months are £149/£199/£249 respectively.

I was also looking for alloy wheel insurance, sorry if that's not something you thought you might need until now :)

Alternative is to invest in a good dual action polisher and watch some YouTube.

I looked at some options when I first got my car and almost purchased here:

https://www.tidyalloys.com/cosmetic-purchase/

£10 excess as you're used to with a £3000 aggregate claim limit, each repair being a minimum deduction of £250 from the £3000. 12/24/36 months are £149/£199/£249 respectively.

I was also looking for alloy wheel insurance, sorry if that's not something you thought you might need until now :)

Alternative is to invest in a good dual action polisher and watch some YouTube.

That's more like the price range I'd be willing to go! Thanks i'll check them out.

As for Alloy insurance...I had it once for free and never used it, and then they always made it an optional extra so I never took it again as I trust my own judgement/driving not to kerb them.

BUT, with Autopilot being....unpredictable.....I have been thinking about getting it this time around.

Course, getting an Alloy refurbed doesn't seem to cost a lot. £50 a wheel or something these days? Barely worth insuring.

I never took it again as I trust my own judgement/driving not to kerb them.

So did a lot of us, but there is something about those wheels that makes kerbs and potholes jump out on them :eek: The rims are totally unforgiving for any surface that is not flat.

BUT, with Autopilot being....unpredictable.....I have been thinking about getting it this time around.

tbh, you shouldn't be using autopilot where kerbs are ever likely going to be a problem.

Reactions: Mr Miserable
So did a lot of us, but there is something about those wheels that makes kerbs and potholes jump out on them :eek: The rims are totally unforgiving for any surface that is not flat.

tbh, you shouldn't be using autopilot where kerbs are ever likely going to be a problem.

Well thats not reassuring at all! lol - guess time will tell.

As for Autopilot, well FSD anyway - your right of course, but where's the fun in that ;)

Hey guys,

So with my last 3 new cars, I've always had the dealer throw in 3 or 5 years worth of scuff and scratch insurance for free (I know I'm sure I paid for it in a roundabout way) but i've always quite liked the reassurance of having it there.

I remember once my other half leant something up against my car and it slipped and put a load of scratches down the wring...luckily it only cost me £10 to get it repair (and a couple hundred for her funeral afterwards)

This time around though I find myself looking at options to buy it myself, I hadn't thought of it until I got a GAP insurance quote and they wanted £185 for a years worth of smart insurance....which seems excessive.

I'm getting the car PPF'd at the front end anyway and ceramic coated all over, so if I do get a scratch fixed its then going to have to be ceramic'd again etc etc...it just adds up and maybe I should just go somewhere that does it all.

I'm bound to pick up some scratches etc in car parks though, so whats your suggestions please?

How long will you keep the car? How many scratches do you typically accumulate per year? These are the questions to ask yourself to help work out the value.

I’ve seen people spend thousands on full PPF only to sell their car within a couple of years. My 3 year old MX with 40k miles has a couple of small stone chips on the front end, barely visible. As for smart repairs, they don’t cost much anyway. So I don’t see any point in effectively “pre-paying” with insurance. Just get them done when/if ever needed.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel

Is that with Steve at MC in Chelmsford?

How long will you keep the car? How many scratches do you typically accumulate per year? These are the questions to ask yourself to help work out the value.

I’ve seen people spend thousands on full PPF only to sell their car within a couple of years. My 3 year old MX with 40k miles has a couple of small stone chips on the front end, barely visible. As for smart repairs, they don’t cost much anyway. So I don’t see any point in effectively “pre-paying” with insurance. Just get them done when/if ever needed.

I have every intention of keeping this car for as long as possible! At the very very minimum until its "mine" after 6 years. I've never even considered PPF before but due to Tesla's paint reptuation, i'm taking a punt on it.

Is that with Steve at MC in Chelmsford?

Nope. Ended up going with Lussivo at Harlow. Just seemed to get better responses out of them than any of the others, including MC, plus the best price.

The other thing that swayed me was that they are the ONLY essex based installer that shows up on Xpel's site as an authorised instlaler.

Reactions: HKP_Tom
I have every intention of keeping this car for as long as possible! At the very very minimum until its "mine" after 6 years. I've never even considered PPF before but due to Tesla's paint reptuation, i'm taking a punt on it.

I can’t say I’ve noticed any difference with Tesla paint regarding stone chips. Mine is white, so maybe the multi-coat helps a little. PPF seems popular with all makes of car these days. I’m not convinced of the cost/benefit ratio, but I guess that’s a personal decision.

Only problem is with Keying. Had ours just under a week and I think we almost caught someone keying our car. Luckily they didn't key it.
Anyway just got ours 36 month Smart cover for £275 - doesn't cover bonnet though.
Doesn't the aero covers protect the alloys?

Doesn't the aero covers protect the alloys?
Not at all, they sit inside the wheel edge. My previous cars have had wheels where the tyres protect the edges of the wheel from light touches, but the M3 tyres are quite stretched & offer no protection at all. The slightest brush will mark them, as I found out a week after I got my car...