Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Shift for Older S/X Models Possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

garyhartaz

21 Pre-Refresh Model X Owner and "That Guy"
Nov 13, 2020
Scottsdale, AZ
For those in the know....or who just either know, any reason why pre-refresh S/X models can't have the Smart Shift? Seems like it's obviously just software since the new steering wheel has a physical switch just as the stalk acts....curious to know and discuss.

It's not a matter of want but a matter of what the future software upgrade path for the S/X looks like. Will it be forced upon the older fleet?
I doubt it will be "forced" upon us but I do believe it would be super easy to implement in our older cars if they decided to add it. I do recall seeing in some of the Model S Refresh leaks that there was a way to disable it in the settings menu as well. Thus if we do get it hopefully we also can turn it off if we don't like it.

Reactions: ratsbew
It's not a matter of want but a matter of what the future software upgrade path for the S/X looks like. Will it be forced upon the older fleet?
I see. I kind of doubt it since it would be redundant since the existing cars have sticks. But the auto direction select might be added as a feature in FSD. Hopefully as a disablable feature!

Reactions: X-pilot
I don’t think it will be an option for the reasons others mentioned, but also it appears the screen orientation will have such a vastly different arrangement. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the “tile” functionality seen from the Reddit post isn’t available in v11 as it won’t look or fit right in a vertical format.

It would be possible I think, but that assumes the gear selector isn’t required to be moved to change gears. If it’s all electronic and software, then I believe it could be offered to the existing fleet.

But forced upon the older fleet? Seems impossible. Even if I had the new screen with the option, I also still have the gear selector. I can’t imagine a scenario where Tesla forcibly disables that so it’s literally a useless stalk that can’t be used. Well I guess I can imagine the scenario but I struggle to imagine why they’d go to that trouble.

I share the concern with how this Smart Shift would possible be useful...but I’m willing to try it out. I’m glad I’d have the gear selector there for me if I needed it though!

I'd love to see this feature come to older 3/Y cars too. If it's just software build on the existing hardware then I don't see a reason that it couldn't. From a brand standpoint it helps emphasize that the cars are always evolving and getting better. If it's a toggle then you can always turn it off.