Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Shift for Older S/X Models Possible?

garyhartaz

Nov 13, 2020
Scottsdale, AZ
For those in the know....or who just either know, any reason why pre-refresh S/X models can't have the Smart Shift? Seems like it's obviously just software since the new steering wheel has a physical switch just as the stalk acts....curious to know and discuss.

Verranzo

Jan 9, 2018
Denver
It's not a matter of want but a matter of what the future software upgrade path for the S/X looks like. Will it be forced upon the older fleet?
I doubt it will be "forced" upon us but I do believe it would be super easy to implement in our older cars if they decided to add it. I do recall seeing in some of the Model S Refresh leaks that there was a way to disable it in the settings menu as well. Thus if we do get it hopefully we also can turn it off if we don't like it.

Reactions: ratsbew

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
It's not a matter of want but a matter of what the future software upgrade path for the S/X looks like. Will it be forced upon the older fleet?
I see. I kind of doubt it since it would be redundant since the existing cars have sticks. But the auto direction select might be added as a feature in FSD. Hopefully as a disablable feature!

Reactions: X-pilot

elguapo

Supporting Member
Apr 24, 2013
Maryland
I don’t think it will be an option for the reasons others mentioned, but also it appears the screen orientation will have such a vastly different arrangement. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the “tile” functionality seen from the Reddit post isn’t available in v11 as it won’t look or fit right in a vertical format.

Seattle Tom

Mar 31, 2016
Seattle, WA
It would be possible I think, but that assumes the gear selector isn’t required to be moved to change gears. If it’s all electronic and software, then I believe it could be offered to the existing fleet.

But forced upon the older fleet? Seems impossible. Even if I had the new screen with the option, I also still have the gear selector. I can’t imagine a scenario where Tesla forcibly disables that so it’s literally a useless stalk that can’t be used. Well I guess I can imagine the scenario but I struggle to imagine why they’d go to that trouble.

I share the concern with how this Smart Shift would possible be useful...but I’m willing to try it out. I’m glad I’d have the gear selector there for me if I needed it though!

Davehardy7

Mar 26, 2021
Agua Dulce
I'd like to see smart shift as an option for my 3. If I can get used to not using the gear shifter then moving into an x without a shifter wouldn't be so drastic.

ratsbew

Mar 3, 2012
O'Fallon, IL
I'd love to see this feature come to older 3/Y cars too. If it's just software build on the existing hardware then I don't see a reason that it couldn't. From a brand standpoint it helps emphasize that the cars are always evolving and getting better. If it's a toggle then you can always turn it off.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC