Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Solar Home for the rest of us...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ABCTG

Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2017
3RFTS
When the landlord/owner next door moved with his wife into his house after 20 years of renting it out; the first thing he did was put in a brand new central air conditioning unit, which probably provided much better living conditions than the existing window A/C units.

As a renter myself, there will be no solar panels installed on my house, no replacement of the antique A/C unit, no rewiring to make it a smart home.

To make my house a smart home is by installing individual smart bulbs, doorbell etc. It can be done piecemeal.

Which got me thinking, how can I power my house from the sun?

My 3 piece cordless drill set has some pretty good batteries, that can be used on a drill, a saw, or a flashlight.

What if there was a portable solar panel that I could set outside that had a portable multiple battery charging unit?

The batteries could be used in backup power strips that could be made to be swapped out as easily as the cordless drill charging unit.

Then with backup power strips to all my small appliances, the batteries could be swapped out at intervals, which, yes would be tedious, but would be a chore that could get used to being done.

The solar panel could even have a sun tracking function to be more efficient.

If there was something like this on the market I would buy it.

P.S. the landlord next door sold the house after 2 years of living there, reaped his tax free equity gains, and moved on. it sold to a new investor; at least the new tenants have central A/C.