Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Summon Collision - Any Advice?

Have you

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I'm usually very careful with my FSD Model 3. Recently during a test of Smart Summon, the car was supposed to make a turn, but then changed it's mind and went to full speed (about 10km/h) towards a gate. I released the button but with the speed the car was travelling it still collided into the gate. I am so saddened by this event.

Considering the circumstances I am certain that this incident was unavoidable.

I filed a detailed report through my excellent local service rep, with explanations and videos. After about a month of waiting Tesla's responded. Their position is that gates are not recognized and the responsibility is mine. The damage is in the order of thousands. I am unable to respond to this decision.

My thinking is that Tesla should at least be willing to help...

Does anyone have any experience dealing with an issue like this one? I really love my Tesla but very saddened by this event.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I dont believe you will get much help from Tesla on this. Their stance for other types of events (Autopark hitting things, etc) is you are responsible 100%.

Best bet would be to claim it on your insurance and let your insurance company fight Tesla on this for you.

Reactions: preilly44
Hello, I'm usually very careful with my FSD Model 3. Recently during a test of Smart Summon, the car was supposed to make a turn, but then changed it's mind and went to full speed (about 10km/h) towards a gate. I released the button but with the speed the car was travelling it still collided into the gate. I am so saddened by this event.

Considering the circumstances I am certain that this incident was unavoidable.

I filed a detailed report through my excellent local service rep, with explanations and videos. After about a month of waiting Tesla's responded. Their position is that gates are not recognized and the responsibility is mine. The damage is in the order of thousands. I am unable to respond to this decision.

My thinking is that Tesla should at least be willing to help...

Does anyone have any experience dealing with an issue like this one? I really love my Tesla but very saddened by this event.

Thanks.

I think you are out of luck, as all of the smart summon (and other stuff) has screens that say you are responsible. Also, I am having a hard time matching up a couple of your statements.

You say:

but then changed it's mind and went to full speed (about 10km/h)

and:

The damage is in the order of thousands.

When I run km to mph through "the google" I get that 10kmh = 6mph. So, you are saying that a collision that was going 6 mph has damage "in the thousands"? What exactly is the damage? Im guessing that you are having to pay for both damage to your car, and damage to the gate? You should just file this with your insurance (making an assumption that you have insurance here), and move on.

Hello and thanks to everyone for your replies.

For your interest, below is a picture of the gate from the dashcam video. Hopefully some of you will avoid experiencing similar mishaps. Also it is important to note that I was using version 2019.36.xx and it is very possible things have improved since then. Since then I have noticed that the car does not go to higher speeds as often.

Freeze Fram of Gate.png

There is definitely a lag of a few feet once removing your finger from the phone app. Also, I strongly advise not to use the 'Come to Me' feature as the path that the car is going to take, as well as any sudden changes is much less clear. The car stopped very shortly after contacting the gate, and the gate was made of raw aluminum. Thought the gate was chained it was loose enough to swing a bit, so thankfully there was no damage to the gate.

Apart from the headlight the damage on the car is not very obvious, but as we know the repairs add up fast. The headlight alone was over $1500 Canadian installed. I am waiting to perform the rest of the repairs, though it appears the cost will be at least similar.

Larry

Reactions: TomB985
Yikes… Thanks for posting the photo. I can completely understand how the car would miss that, very much like the semi trailer underrun accidents that made the news so much a couple years ago. I believe the radar and ultrasonic sensors are primarily used for close in maneuvering, and each would have missed that gate entirely when they got close.

This is another example of the real-world complications that arise from Tesla’s willingness to beta test features using customers. According to Tesla fineprint “You are still responsible for your car and must monitor it and its surroundings at all times and be within your line of sight because it may not detect all obstacles,” Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability.

Sorry this happened to you. As others had said, contact your insurance company.

This is exactly why I stopped testing Smart Summon from outside the car.

The delay on releasing the button can be too long, and I simply don't want to risk it. Plus there are times that my vantage point from outside the car doesn't allow me to see some curb it gets close to.

So I do all my testing from inside the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I think calling Smart Summon “Beta” is a stretch. I’ve stopped using it, too many close calls and Tesla takes no responsibility.

if my smart phone had a camera view and a steering wheel/accelerator button on the screen, I could see how I’m 100% responsible, but the way it operates, the software makes all the decisions and holds me responsible. No thanks.

I’m normally an early adopter of this type of tech, but Tesla needs to take some ownership of their programmed decisions before I will use it again.

if my smart phone had a camera view and a steering wheel/accelerator button on the screen, I could see how I’m 100% responsible

Since summon only happens if you tell it to, it's pretty easy to see how you're 100% responsible.

Indeed many states that already allow for self-driving cars on public roads include a clause stating that whoever activates the system is 100% responsible for what the system does.

Since summon only happens if you tell it to, it's pretty easy to see how you're 100% responsible.

Indeed many states that already allow for self-driving cars on public roads include a clause stating that whoever activates the system is 100% responsible for what the system does.

If I activate the system from some distance away, it is hard to see exactly what the car is doing. I’m not in the drivers seat. If I need to be close enough to monitor all the clearance around the car, it really limits the functionality. Essentially it becomes a party trick.

Reactions: Daniel in SD
If I activate the system from some distance away, it is hard to see exactly what the car is doing.

Then you probably shouldn't activate it.

In fact the owners manual on page 96 mentions these things about Smart Summon (among other warnings)-

Model 3 owners manual said:
Smart Summon is designed and intended for use only on parking lots and driveways located on private property where the surrounding area is familiar and predictable.

When using Smart Summon,you must maintain a clear line of sight between you and Model 3

I’m not in the drivers seat. If I need to be close enough to monitor all the clearance around the car, it really limits the functionality. Essentially it becomes a party trick.

Yup. So's autopark on the whole given it takes about 5x longer than a human does for the same task.