Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Summon Drove My Model Y Into A Tree - July 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Video footage of Smart Summon crash here:

I purchased the Full Self-Driving capability via subscription for my 2021 Tesla Model Y on Saturday, July 17, 2021. On Sunday, July 18, 2021 at approximately 12:40pm while activating the Smart Summon feature in a private residential parking lot, the car drove itself into a tree damaging the front of the car resulting in a total repair cost of $1,799.32.

Tesla is refusing to refund me the $200.00 for the Self-Driving subscription.

Please do not use the Smart Summon feature.
Not feeling so smart now? Why did you let it continue on when it started pulling forward and turning toward the tree?

if it was me I would have stopped it the second it started rolling forward....

Reactions: APotatoGod
No way you could have prevented that, the crash happens so fast.

As others have pointed out; huge sensor blindspots close to the car. No 360 cameras, no ultrasonic in the doors, no radars in the bumper corners.

This is the problem with level 2 systems (like fsd beta): fails too often, fails unexpectedly, fails with too little time to correct, fails in dangerous ways.
A Level 2 system that never fails = level 4.

First time I tried smart summon I went to a local college parking lot on a Sunday. No obstructions or cars. It was like playing with a huge RC car. But i agree, it's mostly a party trick at this point.
Yes, it's just a party trick and that's how I describe it as well.

Tesla should be held
Good luck. Beta and all their other terms keeps from this happening. i would ask, what do we have to compare this to but I know of no other vehicle that offers this feature. Tesla does have some work to do I agree but this is a good start.

Forgot to mention this thread. I've seen this work well first hand.

Please learn to release your finger when you see your Smart Summoned vehicle heading into a tree (while on a nonsensical forward motion that should have said "stop" to YOU).

Factor here: the ultrasonics cannot "see" a thin sapling tree, or some posts, or some objects, and thus no cue to the car there was an obstruction. All this laid out very clearly in the manual section on Smart Summon.
.....or a parking meter!

Reactions: rxlawdude
the only conclusion that a sensible designer/tester would come to is: we would have to spend over our allowed budget to equip the car with enough 360 sensor array so that we really can put 'summon' in the hands of regular everyday users.

I bet it would take a lot in terms of cost to do it properly. its not impossible and I dont think its even that hard. afterall, we're talking low speed car movements, so sensors don't have to be nearly as high-speed as ones that track movements at 10x the speeds. and also, moving around slowly is a different (enough) kind of movement and even stress on the steering and wheels. its NOT just 'drive the car but at lower speeds'. all of us know that, instinctively, after just a short time of driving. we swing our heads and move our eyes and necks and try to see all angles and even use audible feedback to see if we've hit anything (tires and curbs, hopefully). btw, that brings up the very sore point of how EASY it is to curb the damned tesla wheels. all these years and they never did a thing. and there are things that could have been done.

I'd say this is reckless behavior, to relese a product that is known to cause damage to itself and others, WHEN USED AS DIRECTED. the manuf can't just say 'you held it wrong'. not when life and limb are at stake.

better to leave such features in the testing lab and never see the light of public test. irresponsible to release it at all beyond employee alpha testing.

what else will elon release 'just to be first' and make a market splash?

I dont trust his judgement. the man is not making rational decisions and hasn't been, for a long time, now. this kind of thought process and that no one there had the power to say NO to the man - that's really dangerous.

I'd be willing to bet lots of people on the ground wanted to stop shipment of this feature. and they were all overruled (since its in public hands).

this is going to be in the textbooks on how NOT to rush tech to the market.

Tesla should be held

HODL!

"proactively anticipate obstacles that the
vehicle may be unable to detect."

Seems easier & a lot less stressful to just drive the car yourself!

No way you could have prevented that, the crash happens so fast.
Huh?

It's like 100% normal vanilla run of the mill ****ing situation.
Haha. Also completely expected. It's weird though that Tesla doesn't even bother to try to create a map of the surroundings (in spite of all the nonsense on social media and all the point visualizations they display, there's clearly no memory). Not that weird, I know. But still kind of weird that at this point they haven't bothered to try. There's literally no point in Smart Summon as a result.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: DelPhonic1
Haha. Also completely expected. It's weird though that Tesla doesn't even bother to try to create a map of the surroundings (in spite of all the nonsense on social media and all the point visualizations they display, there's clearly no memory). Not that weird, I know. But still kind of weird that at this point they haven't bothered to try. There's literally no point in Smart Summon as a result.

The funny part is that it DOES build a map etc, and the ultrasonics should scream since it's a huge object next to it - A CAR. So why the heck doesn't it see it?

I don't understand why owners feel they don't have to monitor their cars while doing anything like self-driving or summon. We're all adults, and we know we are not driving anything that is level 5. What a shame.
I think the issue is that Tesla doesn't do a good job training users how to monitor it. The example on the website shows incorrect usage! Also the CEO of the company likes posts on Twitter that show incorrect usage.

this is going to be in the textbooks on how NOT to rush tech to the market.
If this is considered rushing tech to the market, put it against the backdrop of Elon's 2016 tweet saying that within two years summon *should* be able to navigate from NY to your phone location in LA

Five years after that tweet and it's crashing into stationary objects within seconds of activation. We'll still be talking about its shortcomings in 2026.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve