Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Summon Drove My Model Y Into A Tree - July 2021

AlanSubie4Life

Efficiency Obsessed Member
Oct 22, 2018
San Diego
someone who says it should never be used
Who said that in the conversation at issue? You said in this same post that he said it should never be trusted, which is not the same thing.
A thin sapling is hardly a tree that would, in fact, be "seen" by the ultrasonics.

Did you not look at the link he provided?

Smart Summon Runs Into A Parked Car

The quoted repair bill seems very modest, less than $5k, so it tends to make me think the story checks out (though who can know these days I guess?).
Your other contention that using this around other cars (e.g., parked cars) is "risky?" Sorry, don't agree.
It does seem risky, if you are not using it with a full view of any side of the vehicle that may contact another object, and you have not familiarized yourself with the lag and are not an expert experienced user.

I definitely think it can be used (personally I can’t come up with a use case, other than jousting with other Teslas which is fun, though stressful), but I also agree it should never be trusted, and that likely means avoiding use in some situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: El joe

qdeathstar

Completely Serious
May 17, 2019
VB
To "never" use it is clearly hyperbole. There are multiple use cases where it works - safely and effectively. "Never" implies 100% failure rate, which is absolutely a falsehood.
Yea, there are cases, but are you really gonna bother with the thirty seconds it takes to fumble with your phone in the hopes that it works so you can avoid the thirty steps to your car? Hard pass.

they shoulda stopped at dumb summon, it’s good enough.

rxlawdude

Jul 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
I just moved into a house with a garage in the back yard, and it's a TIGHT fit along side the house to the garage. I was hoping to use smart summon to back the car out of the garage and along the side of the house through the narrow part.

I thought it would be safer than me manually backing up along the tight part on the side of the house. Am I wrong?
Use dumb summon (just forward and backwards) to go in and out of the garage. Note there are settings you may need to set to handle tighter situations, and if it's too tight, it may refuse to dumb summon.

Works great for us.

Reactions: Ruffles

rxlawdude

Jul 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Who said that in the conversation at issue? You said in this same post that he said it should never be trusted, which is not the same thing.

Did you not look at the link he provided?

Smart Summon Runs Into A Parked Car

The quoted repair bill seems very modest, less than $5k, so it tends to make me think the story checks out (though who can know these days I guess?).

It does seem risky, if you are not using it with a full view of any side of the vehicle that may contact another object, and you have not familiarized yourself with the lag and are not an expert experienced user.

I definitely think it can be used (personally I can’t come up with a use case, other than jousting with other Teslas which is fun, though stressful), but I also agree it should never be trusted, and that likely means avoiding use in some situations.
Let's just disagree on the usefulness and safety of summon/smart summon for people that can read and follow clear instructions and caveats vs those who don't and then bitch and whine..

AlanSubie4Life

Oct 22, 2018
San Diego
people that can read and follow clear instructions and caveats.
And from this select group, we need to be sure to explicitly exclude people who do not know to ignore the example use case and stated capabilities on the Tesla website, shown when purchasing the vehicle:

A0E8666F-1C5A-4D49-82D4-F2B382E4A6B0.png

I agree that when we narrow the field to people who have that level of knowledge and common sense, there are use cases for those people where Smart Summon could have some value in specific situations (pouring rain in a deserted wide-open parking lot with relative lack of signposts, parking spot end stops, clear line of sight, etc., for example).

Daniel in SD

Jan 25, 2018
San Diego
Let's just disagree on the usefulness and safety of summon/smart summon for people that can read and follow clear instructions and caveats vs those who don't and then bitch and whine..
It’s funny how judgmental you are when you yourself did not know a very important caveat about the ultrasonic sensors.

• Love
Reactions: El joe

Daniel in SD

Jan 25, 2018
San Diego
This has what to do with following instructions?

Instructions...

WARNING: When you release the button to stop
Model Y, a slight delay occurs before the vehicle
stops. Therefore, it is critical that you pay close
attention to the vehicle’s driving path at all times
and proactively anticipate obstacles that the
vehicle may be unable to detect.

Depending on the quality of the
connectivity between the phone and Model Y,
there may be a slight delay between when you
release the button and when the car stops.

How can you proactively anticipate objects that the vehicle may be unable to detect if you don't know about the blind spots of the ultrasonic sensors? You mistakenly thought that summon reliably detects other cars. It seems possible that you haven't experienced a summon mishap because you're lucky not because you followed the instructions.

I don't see why you insist on putting all the blame on the user when Tesla's demonstration of the feature on the website shows it being used contrary to the instructions.

rxlawdude

Jul 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
O
Instructions...

WARNING: When you release the button to stop
Model Y, a slight delay occurs before the vehicle
stops. Therefore, it is critical that you pay close
attention to the vehicle’s driving path at all times
and proactively anticipate obstacles that the
vehicle may be unable to detect.

Depending on the quality of the
connectivity between the phone and Model Y,
there may be a slight delay between when you
release the button and when the car stops.

How can you proactively anticipate objects that the vehicle may be unable to detect if you don't know about the blind spots of the ultrasonic sensors? You mistakenly thought that summon reliably detects other cars. It seems possible that you haven't experienced a summon mishap because you're lucky not because you followed the instructions.

I don't see why you insist on putting all the blame on the user when Tesla's demonstration of the feature on the website shows it being used contrary to the instructions.
Oy vey. I'm done arguing. You quoted the instructions and even highlighted them. Your point subsequent merely is gainsay.

AlanSubie4Life

Oct 22, 2018
San Diego
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ

JHCCAZ

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2021
Tucson
Yes, it is covered on page 103 of the 2021/07/09 Owner's Manual. (https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf) It's called "Summon," while the other more exciting version is called "Smart Summon."

It just moves back and forth in close to a straight line and does not steer around obstacles.
I guess that many in this thread would say, the Dumb Summon option is when you click that button to buy Smart Summon in FSD!

Which I did...
we'll see how smart or dumb that turns out to be.

AlanSubie4Life

Oct 22, 2018
San Diego
I guess that many in this thread would say, the Dumb Summon option is when you click that button to buy Smart Summon in FSD!

Which I did...
we'll see how smart or dumb that turns out to be.

The Tesla jousting match (a Smart Summon close opposing pass, a la the Blue Angels, but slower) I had with @Daniel in SD was worth at least a few hundred dollars, though it may have taken a year or two off my life. In retrospect it may have been ill advised. No harm, no foul.

Last edited:
Reactions: JHCCAZ

mspohr

Jul 27, 2014
California
Video footage of Smart Summon crash here:

I purchased the Full Self-Driving capability via subscription for my 2021 Tesla Model Y on Saturday, July 17, 2021. On Sunday, July 18, 2021 at approximately 12:40pm while activating the Smart Summon feature in a private residential parking lot, the car drove itself into a tree damaging the front of the car resulting in a total repair cost of $1,799.32.

Tesla is refusing to refund me the $200.00 for the Self-Driving subscription.

Please do not use the Smart Summon feature.
And you let it drive into the tree?

DrDabbles

Jul 28, 2017
NH, US
Seriously, how is FSD going to work if they can't get this to work ?

That's the trick, Cap'.

But seriously, go look at the city streets beta videos. They're chock full of seriously bad behavior, lots of which is outright dangerous. It doesn't work if it pulls into cross traffic and then stops.

i learned from other people never to trust it.

The unfortunate side of this is that lots of the people raising concerns about the behavior and performance of these "features" are being banned and accused of being "anti-Tesla" when warning others of this exact type of incident. The Moderators of some of the Tesla forums and the Tesla subreddit are equally to blame for whitewashing these glaring, common problems from their forums.

I like a lot of the useless crap in my car

Those fart noises don't cause your $60k car to need thousands of dollars in repair. So. Maybe "chill" is the wrong response here.

helvio

E-TARDIS
Aug 11, 2020
Phoenixville, PA
Those fart noises don't cause your $60k car to need thousands of dollars in repair. So. Maybe "chill" is the wrong response here.
Neither does summon, because I know how to use it. AKA I read the manual.
Looking to the side to fart on people could be a distraction which could result in an accident yielding thousands of dollars in repair - so your argument is invalid.

And I will reinforce my answer, because it's no one's fault but yours if you can't use the stuff you're given:
(emphasis intended)

CHILL

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC