Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart summon fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

talkingevs

GO AVS! 2022 CHAMPS!
Jan 28, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
So I've had smart summon since it was released but have never tried it as I was too nervous. Everyone at work today wanted to see it so I went out and tried it. First it told me I needed to be closer (was only roughly 50ft and 1 curve away). So I walked so it would be a straight shot and then it gave me the option to start. I held the button and the lights flashed, tires moved slightly, and then it stated summon stopping. The car didn't move forward at all. At first I thought maybe because of the window shade so I went and removed it. But still nothing. What would be stopping it? It was parked between two cars but neither was near the lines. One of the two cars even moved eventually and still nothing. Shouldnt it come to me and be able to do corners? Or what is the point? What is everyone's experiences?

Depends where you did it. SS will only work on mapped off-road areas such as parking lots, and if its happy about can connectivity etc. Try going a quiet (large) parking lot somewhere quiet (say late at night) and experimenting.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Another thing that can sometimes happen is that your phone GPS location can be off, so it thinks you are outside the maximum range when you aren’t, or you locate the target in a different place than you intended on the map.

But the above comment about unmapped parking lots is definitely the most common issue for me.

I tried summons a few times. Works like a charm as long as you're not on public roads.

However, one time I stealthily summoned it while the missus was sitting, waiting in the passenger seat. She was startled by the car moving on its own and frantically pressed the P on the stalk, stopping the summons. I activated the summons again and she pressed the P again(while probably yelling expletives at this point). I tried summoning a third time but got a hard fail and summons was no longer possible.

It was in a parking lot that was mapped on the Tesla app map. Like I said, I moved to a straight shot even and it wouldnt do it. Not trying it up until now I just assumed it worked. I actually just did the autopark for the first time too. Its frustrating that its supposed to do it but didnt. I will try to find an open parking lot to see if it will do it.

In my experience, SS was mostly a failure, in wide open parking lot with no one there. Each row of the parking lot had median dividers to keep each row separated. Many times the car did not care what direction is was going, it just wanted to get to my location via the quickest route. many times there was a lot of indecision from the car, not knowing which way to go and trying to reverse course. Most attempts I just has to abort and then walk to the car to drive it out manually. I was very glad that there were no other cars or people in the area or it could have been a major problem. I recently received the HW 3.0 upgrade and haven't tried it yet to see if there are any improvements. Might try it again soon to see if there are any improvements. From what I have read from other readers, once reverse summons is released there are supposed to be major updates to Auto Pilot, so SS will likely be greatly improved as well. Fingers crossed!

Everyone of you who says “summons” instead of “summon“ is going on the list.

Attachments

• 9A928921-8EB3-43AB-A7A9-179010732F29.jpeg
    9A928921-8EB3-43AB-A7A9-179010732F29.jpeg
    31 KB · Views: 46