Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Summon in the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 2019.40.2.5 today and it came with Smart Summons (I have AP 2.0 so I don't know if I'll ever see 50).

It is the most useless thing ever.

• Must be within 6m but at about 4m my key fob is out of range. Had to toss it on the seat in the car to make it work :/ (any ideas)
  • Phone must be in bluetooth range, but no measure of what that is so phone kept reporting out of range
  • It kept saying waiting for path to be clear, the path was clear, it was in the middle of a field and I was the only person standing there and I was to the side of the car
  • Tried it again at home and it still said waiting for path to be clear even though I'd driven home on auto pilot.

This isn't even a gimmick yet, so unimpressed :(. I also got something about improving the windscreen wiper speed... anyone want to give me odds on if that actually just turns the wipers off? :)

• Informative
Reactions: PaulJohn
I got 2019.40.2.5 today and it came with Smart Summons (I have AP 2.0 so I don't know if I'll ever see 50).

It is the most useless thing ever.

• Must be within 6m but at about 4m my key fob is out of range. Had to toss it on the seat in the car to make it work :/ (any ideas)
  • Phone must be in bluetooth range, but no measure of what that is so phone kept reporting out of range
  • It kept saying waiting for path to be clear, the path was clear, it was in the middle of a field and I was the only person standing there and I was to the side of the car
  • Tried it again at home and it still said waiting for path to be clear even though I'd driven home on auto pilot.

This isn't even a gimmick yet, so unimpressed :(. I also got something about improving the windscreen wiper speed... anyone want to give me odds on if that actually just turns the wipers off? :)

My feelings exactly. I had all the same issues as you did when there was nothing around but me! What’s worse is that I need to use summon to get my car out of the garage and now even the bog standard summon is reporting that it is waiting for the path to be clear. Never did that before smart summon arrived.
Can anybody think of a use for the smart summon that we have in the uk?

But if you have to get into the car to put a phone or key fob in you might just as well drive it!! I’m still waiting for somebody to come up with why we would want to use the severely restricted UK smart summon as I can not think of any situation where it would be useful.

Yeah you’d have to be pretty nuts to do this full time. This is akin to leaving your keys in a normal car, and that could cause problems with insurance payouts when it comes to theft. All someone would have to do is smash your car window and they can drive away.

I'm not usually negative about new features, but this has to be the most useless of all the things Tesla has added to the car so far.

It's only function is as a very weak tech demo and I imagine so they can claim the feature was delivered in 2019.

I struggle to think of any circumstances in which I'm going to stand and watch the car creeping towards me at 1mph irritating every other driver around, instead of just walking to the car...

Being able to summon it out of a tight parking situation is handy occasionally, this 'find you in the parking lot' stuff is just worthless.

Reactions: Durzel
I think what @squarepeg77 meant was that Tesla used lack of Enhanced Summon as justification for not putting price up of FSD like they used Enhanced Summon as justification to put FSD up by $1000 in US. That justification doesn't hold any more so FSD price adjustment a possibility. The fact it doesn't work the other side of a car park is mute.

Reactions: squarepeg77