Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Summon is Useless?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But it could be useful. My work often has me at a couple of school buildings at 5pm when the parking lot is empty. But because I often get there around 9am, well after all the teachers get there, my car is parked far away from the entrance. I’d love to summon the car to the front door on cold, windy or rainy days instead of walking across the lot. I mean, that’s basically what it’s designed for. And that’s not dangerous. But I can’t even do that!
Oh yeah it definitely could be useful, it just is pointless because the hazard is so high.

I needed time to find it - I wasn't imagining it :)
A little miscommunication here - of course they will improve it at some point. I read your comment as it being stated (by someone, not you) that Summon has gotten FSD stack. (These claims of course have been made.)

Fairly likely that is not true. When it does happen, we will hear about it!

Oh yeah it definitely could be useful, it just is pointless because the hazard is so high.

A little miscommunication here - of course they will improve it at some point. I read your comment as it being stated (by someone, not you) that Summon has gotten FSD stack. (These claims of course have been made.)

Fairly likely that is not true. When it does happen, we will hear about it!
well, I've got FSDb and haven't bothered trying Smart Summon since I got the beta - hmm.
maybe after it quits raining ;)

How hard is it to walk to your car? Feature complete!
Pretty hard if you have a 75 lb child who’s bone-tired, and you can’t convince them to walk anymore.

Pretty hard if you have a passenger with a physical disability that makes it difficult to walk across a busy parking lot.

Pretty hard if you have a passenger that’s a disabled vet, and it hurts them to walk too much.

Annoying if it unexpectedly started to rain, you don’t have an umbrella, and you can’t let your hair get wet (eg you’ve dyed it a vivid color).

Annoying if you have a heavy shopping cart and a steep parking lot to climb.

Dangerous if you’re a woman and it’s after dark in a dimly lit parking lot.

There are a ton of reasons people other than yourself would need the feature they paid for. These are just the reasons that apply to me. I’m sure there are even more reasons that apply to other people as well.

There are a ton of reasons people other than yourself would need the feature they paid for.
Yes it would be great if it worked and if Tesla would take responsibility for damage caused while using Smart Summon (the only conditions under which I would use it - so obviously I will never use it, except for jousting (I only ever used it to joust with a friend’s Model 3, which in retrospect could have ended poorly)).

• Funny
Reactions: DarkForest
It seems to me the ability to use even regular summon to park in a tight space is not that valuable. If the tight space is adjacent to other cars, you would block their doors unless they are also Teslas with summon. That would make them very angry and you would be like to return to a damaged car, sentry mode or not. So really you can only use it to get into a tight space where there is a wall on one side or both, like your own garage.

FWIW many have said basic summon is SUPER valuable for exactly that reason- they have a narrow garage.

Also for its ability to get OUT of a tight space, because some idiot parked so close to you after your own parking of the car that you have no room to open the drivers side door and get in.

As to the smart version... I've used it a number of times at work when it was raining to summon the car to an covered overhang near the door so I could get in dry-- only issue was due to its limited range it only worked if I arrived early enough to get a spot within range of said covered overhang- which pre-covid wasn't always the case.
(it's always the case NOW, but given I rarely have to drive in anymore I just tend not to go at all on bad weather days)

Outside of that one situation, I've used it a couple times as a show-off trick for stuff like leaving a restaurant with friends in a relatively quiet lot and it was...fine?

But yeah, right now the short range and relatively poor ability to deal with busy lots leaves it limited.... then again auto-park sucked for years and years and finally when they moved it from ultrasonics to vision it got useful (still not jaw dropping, but good enough to actually use anyway) and I have similar hopes for improvement in SS.

Reactions: DarkForest
FWIW many have said basic summon is SUPER valuable for exactly that reason- they have a narrow garage.

Also for its ability to get OUT of a tight space, because some idiot parked so close to you after your own parking of the car that you have no room to open the drivers side door and get in.

As to the smart version... I've used it a number of times at work when it was raining to summon the car to an covered overhang near the door so I could get in dry-- only issue was due to its limited range it only worked if I arrived early enough to get a spot within range of said covered overhang- which pre-covid wasn't always the case.
(it's always the case NOW, but given I rarely have to drive in anymore I just tend not to go at all on bad weather days)

Outside of that one situation, I've used it a couple times as a show-off trick for stuff like leaving a restaurant with friends in a relatively quiet lot and it was...fine?

But yeah, right now the short range and relatively poor ability to deal with busy lots leaves it limited.... then again auto-park sucked for years and years and finally when they moved it from ultrasonics to vision it got useful (still not jaw dropping, but good enough to actually use anyway) and I have similar hopes for improvement in SS.
I mean, sure, those things could be valuable. I can't say I have ever had somebody park so close to me that I needed to use summon to get my car out. And I'm a big guy. So I would rate that function as "maybe useful someday, but not so far."

And yes, if your garage is like that it could make this possible. I would personally find it a major pain to have to do that every time I parked or wanted my car. Maybe people who do that only park on rare days and stick to the driveway in nice weather. If they could fully automate it, so I just push a button and it opens the garage door and pulls out the car while I am inside, not watching, that would be usable. It has the garage door function but not the "do it while I am not watching."

I mean, sure, those things could be valuable. I can't say I have ever had somebody park so close to me that I needed to use summon to get my car out. And I'm a big guy. So I would rate that function as "maybe useful someday, but not so far."

And yes, if your garage is like that it could make this possible. I would personally find it a major pain to have to do that every time I parked or wanted my car. Maybe people who do that only park on rare days and stick to the driveway in nice weather. If they could fully automate it, so I just push a button and it opens the garage door and pulls out the car while I am inside, not watching, that would be usable. It has the garage door function but not the "do it while I am not watching."

How...exactly... do you think the car "knows" if you're watching or not?

As long as you're in range of the feature at all, it works just fine- watching or not.

FWIW I did once use smart summon for a fairly cool party trick while INSIDE a house... at a airbnb I had parked it in the parking area nearest the front door to unload.... but then another couple were going to arrive shortly, so using smart summon I pulled it around to the side, then rear, of the house parking area which was near the plug I was gonna use to charge... all while inside the home (because it was drizzling and because I could)- just peeking out the window to insure it wasn't doing anything weird.

Though I'm a little confused WHY in the narrow garage situation you want to pull the car out of or into the garage while you're inside/can't see.... seems if you were arriving home you'd have the garage already open (automatically), get out, be standing right there to use summon to pull it the last few feet into the narrow garage.

And likewise, when leaving, you're usually only wanting it to pull OUT of the garage when you're there to get into it, right?

How...exactly... do you think the car "knows" if you're watching or not?

As long as you're in range of the feature at all, it works just fine- watching or not.

FWIW I did once use smart summon for a fairly cool party trick while INSIDE a house... at a airbnb I had parked it in the parking area nearest the front door to unload.... but then another couple were going to arrive shortly, so using smart summon I pulled it around to the side, then rear, of the house parking area which was near the plug I was gonna use to charge... all while inside the home (because it was drizzling and because I could)- just peeking out the window to insure it wasn't doing anything weird.

Though I'm a little confused WHY in the narrow garage situation you want to pull the car out of or into the garage while you're inside/can't see.... seems if you were arriving home you'd have the garage already open (automatically), get out, be standing right there to use summon to pull it the last few feet into the narrow garage.

And likewise, when leaving, you're usually only wanting it to pull OUT of the garage when you're there to get into it, right?
It "knows" because Summon requires you keep your finger on the button on your phone, and you would be foolish at present not to be "peeking to insure it wasn't doing anything weird." Before I would not be watching it, I would want it to be at the level where Tesla agrees you don't have to watch it. (In fact, I wonder if I even trust Tesla. I've had to stop self-park from hitting stuff.)

And as for going out. It's slow so it takes time to get the car out of the garage. I would, absent very bad weather, just prefer to get in my car and go. Just like I like the fact I don't even have to get out keys to get into my car, or press a starter.

I tried to use it several weeks ago when it was pouring down rain. It had a clear path to me, but pulled forward about 30 feet into the middle of a driveway in the parking lot and refused to move any farther. I'm hopeful it will improve once FSD technology is applied to it.
Rain is one thing that can mess up Tesla automation. The rear camera always gets covered with water drops that distort the image so the car can't see clearly so it stops all automatic driving.

So when Elon promised that a Tesla could be smart summoned from nyc to la (by end of 2019), the assumption was that the owner would have to hold his finger on the summon button on his or her phone the entire duration of the trip?

And simps BELIEVED him.

Elon is a WILD dude. 😂😂

Reactions: phonetele226