Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Summon is Useless?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It "knows" because Summon requires you keep your finger on the button on your phone, and you would be foolish at present not to be "peeking to insure it wasn't doing anything weird."

So you were initially upset you can't do it without looking....

You said:
It has the garage door function but not the "do it while I am not watching."

But now admit it DOES have that function-it's just a dumb thing to do.

So to sum up- you're upset you can't do something you admit is dumb?

Well, you've got me there! :)

Also, unlike smart summon (which makes no sense to use for the "pull straight out of narrow garage" situation-- all dumb summon does is move forward and back in a roughly straight line... so it'd actually be pretty trivial to make it safely pull out of the garage without "watching" the car... ESPECIALLY if you used it to PARK the car originally since it'd ALREADY be in exactly the right position/angle to just reverse that..... heck you can even use the remote sentry view to insure the garage door opened correctly, and that there's not a fedex truck or something just pulled up to block you before you engage summon to pull out of the garage.

so it'd actually be pretty trivial to make it safely pull out of the garage without "watching" the car...
I mean, it seems trivial, for sure…but is it? They have not done it! I wonder whether they will ever do anything (with this iteration of the vehicles) like you propose (though it has some very substantial hazard associated with it, of course, so I would guess not)?

My model Y is both the best and worst car I have ever purchased... It has so much potential and promised so many unique enhancements and yet comes up short....

I am frankly sick of having guests in the car that want to see the gizmos only to have me explain that I dont know why the voice commands are not working today they worked yesterday and this morning or that auto park both does not get presented as an option when I park most of the time and when it does it does not work 95% of the time and no we are not even going to try and parallel park using it...

Or why my phone key which worked fine 999 times in a row until it was pouring cats and dogs then decided to not recognize my phone and require a key card which was physically in the damn car and the spare was at home. So I am in the parking lot drenched trying to reset my phone...

The sad reality is I have NEVER once gotten summon to work successfully - not a single time not for 5 feet in my driveway. I have a garage that has maybe 4 inches of clearance on each side and a car that screams bloody murder if i get within 24 inches of anything - awesome use case for summon and strangely no problem at all with every other car I have ever owned but I cant see the corners of the Tesla and have simply given up parking in the garage - you know the same place where the charger is installed...So I own a level 2 home charger but charge with an extension cord at my house. Not exactly the user experience that was marketed by Tesla...

I also have never told a single person I paid extra for FSD because then they would want to see it and it is embarrassingly bad. It was what i was most excited for on my road trips and I refuse to use it for more than 20-30 minutes because it is more stressful than just driving. Ever bought a $10k toy that was a pure luxury and never tell a soul and basically stop using it because it has never worked... but if I had a youtube channel i could get in on the BETA...

The things Non-tesla owners seem to equate with the car are mostly broken and it is a terrible experience that is a dark cloud overhanging what is otherwise the best car I have ever owned.

I mean, it seems trivial, for sure…but is it? They have not done it!

There's an extensive, extensive, list of trivial things Tesla hasn't done though (or took years to do).

It took them years to add shuffle to the media player. It took them almost a decade to add waypoints to nav.

In this case though the complexity is more in failures external to the car itself... Homelink for example notoriously is a stateless system-- it doesn't tell you if the door is open or closed. Tesla can try and get the AP cameras to tell... but it'd take more work than adding shuffle to the stereo did.

I wonder whether they will ever do anything (with this iteration of the vehicles) like you propose (though it has some very substantial hazard associated with it, of course, so I would guess not)?

Legal and regulatory liability is a whole separate issue--- letting the car do something with NO human supervision would exceed an L2 system- which is not currently legal in most US states (or most of the rest of the countries Tesla sells in to my knowledge). Hence why they currently require some active human control for both versions of summon.

Last edited:
FWIW many have said basic summon is SUPER valuable for exactly that reason- they have a narrow garage.
I sometimes try use regular summon to drive my car out the garage so that I can get the garbage carts out. I think only once it managed to get all the way out. Sometimes it will only go one foot, other times it will just about clear the garage, and then stop. I park in backwards, so this should be really easy! It usually gets out far enough that I can at least get the carts past it.

I have never been able to get it to reverse back in all the way using summon. It always tries to come in at an angle, and then stops short of where it needs to be to clear the garage door.

I wish we could teach it the correct spot in our garage, i.e. some sort of "learn this spot" button, then it would park itself in the exact spot each time. That would be super useful. I tried putting white tape on the ground to see if it would help. Made no difference.

but it'd take more work than adding shuffle to the stereo did.
So maybe not trivial. Guess it depends on how you define trivial!

Sounds like the answer is that maybe there is no point if they don't want the liability, if that even is applicable on private property?

Anyway I don't expect anything any time soon. Except when maybe FSD stack is applied to Smart Summon and that makes it slightly better, but still hazardous to use (and still will require extreme vigilance & monitoring).

I mean, sure, those things could be valuable. I can't say I have ever had somebody park so close to me that I needed to use summon to get my car out. And I'm a big guy. So I would rate that function as "maybe useful someday, but not so far."

I have family in your neck of the woods, so I can see why you have this viewpoint. Here in Boston, we have crappy parking garages and decks with very narrow lanes. You get squeezed in all the time. I won't say I use summon a lot, but there have been a few times where I had too little clearance on the driver side, and I wasn't willing to climb across the passenger side. In those times, I'm appreciative of the feature.

Smart summon - won't use it until it's way better.

Reactions: hgmichna
It is a party trick. Also, it seems to work more poorly since I got FSD Beta. Same goes for Autopark.

As others have written, Basic Summon is nice if someone parks too close. I have also used it to nudge the car forward or backward. However, it takes so long for the app to connect that it's a toss-up whether it would be faster to get back in the car (note: that includes get in, buckle up, position sear, remove sun shields, move car, then reverse previous steps.)

It’s garbage. I can never get it to work. Here’s my latest attempt a couple of days ago. Clear skies day with the car backed into a parking spot.

56A89947-D73F-47A8-A339-99554FCC1838.png

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
FWIW, Musk is claiming that Smart Summon is "almost" done, whatever that means.

I "love" how Elon calls features "smart" when they are basic and dumb and then hypes the next version as being the actually smart version. LOL. Why not wait and only call the version "smart" when it is actually smart? But this is par for the course for FSD. Tesla releases half-baked FSD features and then improves them over time. So eventually, the features do get pretty usable and useful, usually a couple years after the initial release.

Last edited:
I "love" how Elon calls features "smart" when they are basic and dumb and then hypes the next version as being the actually smart version. LOL. Why not wait and only call the version "smart" when it is actually smart? But this is part for the course for FSD. Tesla releases half-baked FSD features and then improves them over time. So eventually, the features get pretty usable and useful, usually a couple years after the initial release.
I really love reading your posts and see how your opinions have changed over time. I remember "poking' at you in your earliest posts when you were a full on uninformed fanboy!! ;)