Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Summon is Useless?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean the obvious reading is they're going to release a version that leverages the FSDb code, instead of the legacy code.

Same thing happened with basic self parking a while ago- it went from the legacy code that only used ultrasonics (and as a result often failed to detect spots, could ONLY park between 2 other cars, and was slow as hell) to newer vision based code that could park without any adjacent cars, was much better at detecting spots, and while still slow is actually usable.

I mean the obvious reading is they're going to release a version that leverages the FSDb code, instead of the legacy code.

Same thing happened with basic self parking a while ago- it went from the legacy code that only used ultrasonics (and as a result often failed to detect spots, could ONLY park between 2 other cars, and was slow as hell) to newer vision based code that could park without any adjacent cars, was much better at detecting spots, and while still slow is actually usable.
Another feature I can never get to work completely. Ends up starting and then aborning or just sitting there cranking the yoke left and right 😅

• Funny
Reactions: Dan D.
A word not to be confused with “useful.”

Eh, it's useful now, since it'll let me auto-park places there's no cars around, it's no longer SO slow it annoys others driving through the lot, and I can use the few seconds it takes to do stuff like put my phone from the charge pad back in my pocket, or grab my badge out of the center console if I was arriving at work, etc... I don't use it all the time, but unlike the legacy version I DO use it now.

Smart summon (the legacy version) I did use in a couple of very specific situations (one was if I got a really close parking spot at work, it was near enough I could summon the car under a covered area when it was raining- which is ABSOLUTELY useful but very situational)- the other was I once moved it from one place to another from inside an airbnb when it was pouring so someone else could pull into the spot I left.... again that was very useful but highly situational)... I'm hoping the "new" smart summon allows it to be useful more generally.

• Disagree
Reactions: bkp_duke
Eh, it's useful now, since it'll let me auto-park places there's no cars around, it's no longer SO slow it annoys others driving through the lot, and I can use the few seconds it takes to do stuff like put my phone from the charge pad back in my pocket, or grab my badge out of the center console if I was arriving at work, etc... I don't use it all the time, but unlike the legacy version I DO use it now.
Alan: it’s not useful due to clear shortcomings.
Knightshade: Ackchyually, it is useful to 1% of owners in spite of these shortcomings.

;)
Hopefully (Ackchyual) Smart Summon is useful, but I have some doubts that the class of situations where it has utility will be expanded broadly.

And more importantly you’ll still have to watch it and you’ll be responsible for collisions, while quite powerless to prevent them. Does not seem smart.

Last edited:
Another feature I can never get to work completely. Ends up starting and then aborning or just sitting there cranking the yoke left and right 😅

Initially I thought you had a typo and meant to put "aborting". But then I looked up the word aborning in the dictionary and realized you put exactly the right word to describe Smart Summon: )

Aborning: in birth; before being carried out: The scheme died aborning.

Just for little perspective, back in 2016, Elon promised summon would work cross country by around 2018. It's now 2022 and he is promising smart summon will be actually smart soon.

I don't view this perspective as being particularly relevant in terms of whether Tesla will deliver a "useful" version of smart summon in 2022/early 2023. Clearly, there is a night and day difference in the software and hardware from that used in 2016 versus now; and, from a practical point of view, being able to reliably use it in parking lots is what actually matters to most buyers.

Unlike in 2016, which was solely an Elon pipe/hype dream, we have actual hands-on experience via FSD beta that evidences that a reliable version of smart summon (parking lots - not cross country) is realistically attainable in the not so distant future.

Parking lots are a troublesome place. While the speed is slow and the problem simple, parking lots do not have to, and don't, conform to any norms, because they are on private land. OK, they do have some norms, but not like the roads. This is more challenging for parking, because parking spaces are often marked with signs in the local language which are just text to be understood, like "reserved for employee of the month" and the like. But they feature a complex dance among users and even trying to leave one presents challenges.

I would start using Smart Summon and Auto Parking when Tesla demonstrated the two features on their own parking lot. The new cars would come out of the factory floor and park on the storage lot by itself. Another use would be to load the new cars from the loading dock lots to the transport ship. How about just loading and unloading from the transport trucks! 😂

• Love
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I don't view this perspective as being particularly relevant in terms of whether Tesla will deliver a "useful" version of smart summon in 2022/early 2023. Clearly, there is a night and day difference in the software and hardware from that used in 2016 versus now; and, from a practical point of view, being able to reliably use it in parking lots is what actually matters to most buyers.

Unlike in 2016, which was solely an Elon pipe/hype dream, we have actual hands-on experience via FSD beta that evidences that a reliable version of smart summon (parking lots - not cross country) is realistically attainable in the not so distant future.

I was simply pointing out a pattern. Elon starts with hype, gets the timeline wrong, releases a half-baked feature, then promises the next update will be the one that is actually good. Eventually yes, I believe smart summon will be pretty good.

Reactions: edseloh and dcesq06
In my pre refresh I used to be able to get summon to work but the new one I can’t even get it to go in and out of my home garage. And if I try in a parking lot it always tries to move further away from me 😂 also the distance being so short now I am almost always next to the car before I am in the circle to even attempt the summon. Useless now .

I was simply pointing out a pattern. Elon starts with hype, gets the timeline wrong, releases a half-baked feature, then promises the next update will be the one that is actually good. Eventually yes, I believe smart summon will be pretty good.
Yeah, these delays happen when you are the first to develop such advanced tech.

Until any other manufacturer is able to release comparable non-geofenced features to 120K un-affiliated drivers, I will keep my bet on Tesla.

Parking lots are a troublesome place. While the speed is slow and the problem simple, parking lots do not have to, and don't, conform to any norms, because they are on private land. OK, they do have some norms, but not like the roads. This is more challenging for parking, because parking spaces are often marked with signs in the local language which are just text to be understood, like "reserved for employee of the month" and the like. But they feature a complex dance among users and even trying to leave one presents challenges.
Agree, especially the eye contact & hand waving that goes on between drivers and pedestrians.

Tried smart summon for the first time today. Such a failure, the car actually went away from then stopped. Attaching the parking lot, what the car did and where I was. When it stopped, it stated to get closer, then it just said summon complete. Any thoughts why it would do this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 8.25.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 8.25.02 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 90
Reactions: Ramphex