Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Summon is Useless?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never had it work for me. Stopped trying long ago. It was probably thought of as some kind of line item of things you get when you pay for FSD to pad it out. Well, that and auto park, which has never worked either. In fact, now I can’t even park in my garage because it ”sees” a large object in front of the car, so it just goes into park and won’t let me enter far enough to close the garage door. It is several feet from the object. That’s with teslavision. A real Mr. Magoo show.

Reactions: Ramphex
I never used smart summon. I don't know what technology it relies to locate you! I have a problem with Auto Lock with exclusion at Home. The car will not lock a block away on the parking lot of a restaurant on a different street or the road side next to a park also about a block away on a different road. So now I always check if my car is locked when away from home at my neighborhood.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Haven't used Smart Summon in over 2 years but thought I would give it a try this morning. Was at Westside park and there were almost no other cars there so thought it would be interesting to "play" with it again. Strangely I don't remember how to make it work. Thought you just long pressed on anywhere in the bubble and it would switch to Smart Summon. Nothing seemed to work. What obvious step am I totally forgetting?

IMG_2016.jpeg

• Funny
Haven't used Smart Summon in over 2 years but thought I would give it a try this morning. Was at Westside park and there were almost no other cars there so thought it would be interesting to "play" with it again. Strangely I don't remember how to make it work. Thought you just long pressed on anywhere in the bubble and it would switch to Smart Summon. Nothing seemed to work. What obvious step am I totally forgetting?

View attachment 867036
The greyed out button above the arrows is telling you why it can't be activated.

The greyed out button above the arrows is telling you why it can't be activated.
Thought that but was grayed out. So I checked Live View and all (4) cameras view were perfect. Also I got in my car and drove FSD Beta from the parking lot all the way home without a single disengagement, so the cameras are working fine. It was also super nice clear day. Wonder what could be the culprit of that?

Thought that but was grayed out. So I checked Live View and all (4) cameras view were perfect. Also I got in my car and drove FSD Beta from the parking lot all the way home without a single disengagement, so the cameras are working fine. It was also super nice clear day. Wonder what could be the culprit of that?

I haven't tried it in years either, but I recall seeing some posts about others that were having problems and turning off Sentry Mode may have helped.

View attachment 867036
I think you forgot that it’s legit just a pile of garbage that doesn’t work. I got it to work one time in 1.5 years of owning my refresh MSLR

I had no idea how this was supposed to work or, more importantly, that you are supposed to use it in a controlled environment.

Of course, since I did not know that, the first time I used it was in a busy shopping mall parking lot.

Hilarity ensued, and I will never use the feature again. I can’t imagine it will ever be good enough to come pick me up curbside of a mall or whatever

Then why haven't you returned it under your states lemon law?
It’s nothing major, the car functions, just has a bunch of annoying things. Trim coming off the door where it meets the glass. Trim on the trunk that says Tesla is peeling off. Dome light turns on with the press of the light but won’t turn off, have to toggle all dome lights on and then off on that screen to turn it off, driver handle gets stuck in the extended position and doesn’t retract 75% of the time, the side view mirror they replaced is curved glass with a different aspect ratio so now both of my sideview mirrors are different, the airbag cover was slashed with a razor all across when it was replaced under the recall, the front camera cover won’t stay on the windshield after they replaced the rear-view mirror that was not dimming from factory. So yea, nothing is critical, but they keep scheduling appointments for a month in advance, I adjust my schedule to make sure I’m available, then a couple days before the appointment, they push it another month forward, rinse and repeat, they’ve been doing it for over a year now. Annoying when they keep messing with my schedules and not getting anything fixed.

I used regular summon for months without any problem (buddy at work parks too close to my parking stall sometimes) until one random day it decides to try to go hard right wrap itself around one of the uprights in the garage - stopped it with less than an inch to spare - dont trust it / wont use it anymore

I used regular summon for months without any problem (buddy at work parks too close to my parking stall sometimes) until one random day it decides to try to go hard right wrap itself around one of the uprights in the garage - stopped it with less than an inch to spare - dont trust it / wont use it anymore
I had similiar experience but with smart summon. On my last S, I actually used it successfully a few times at the Costco parking lot. I park in same spot every time/away from others. Would pick me up near the front. Except the last time I tried, it changed its path from all previous trips, and attempted to go underneath the overhang park into one of those pickup lanes. Except it was about 4 inches from scraping the drivers side against the short 3 foot tall brick support area.

If I recall, I was told all of that was going to be solved once FSD beta came out, or when single stack came out, or it happened because its common for some functions to regress with updates (which is counter to what Tesla states about software always getting better/improving always).

But..never used it again after that. Here we are a few years later, and interesting to see how much Summon has "improved" from then.....

I mean the obvious reading is they're going to release a version that leverages the FSDb code, instead of the legacy code.

Same thing happened with basic self parking a while ago- it went from the legacy code that only used ultrasonics (and as a result often failed to detect spots, could ONLY park between 2 other cars, and was slow as hell) to newer vision based code that could park without any adjacent cars, was much better at detecting spots, and while still slow is actually usable.
Have to disagree with you here. My car self-parked much better prior to joining beta program. Sure, maybe now the car will theoretically "see" spots without cars on either side, but in my experience the car does a horrible job recognizing spots, cars or not. It's no contest.

Reactions: dbldwn02