Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart summon liability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the problem, they will release it it will just suck...so, why bother? Just like autopark and summon now they're cool on paper and to maybe show off but are not actually practical for normal people to use.
I use the auto parking feature all the time. The biggest problem is just getting the car to recognize the spot. I have found success by driving very slow and driving a good distance pass the spot.

I use the auto parking feature all the time. The biggest problem is just getting the car to recognize the spot. I have found success by driving very slow and driving a good distance pass the spot.

That's why I said, normal. ;-)

So, IF it finds a spot it's SLOW as hell...it's much faster, unless you really don't like parking to just do it yourself. Every time I've tried I feel like a fool waiting for it.

Here's a report on the new summon and what it (currently) works like in early release testing-
First look at Tesla’s new Enhanced Summon: self-driving in parking lots

Increases range to 150 feet, and lets you set destination with a pin instead of just "to your location"

Includes disclaimer of

Tesla said:
Enhanced Summon is only intended for use in parking lots and drive ways, not public roads. This feature is in beta mode and you must monitor your vehicle and its surrondings at all times.”

Unlike summon which used BT probably so you had to be close this uses LTE so you can be further away it's only software that is limiting. But, this means there is nothing stopping someone from starting it while they are in line or walking to the car etc which is where the trouble will start.

Honestly, I don't think it's a danger but it's SLOW as f*ck and is stupid so I see a lot of people getting pissed at Tesla owners because of this.

Unless something has changed recently, the Model 3 uses wi-fi / LTE for summon. It works with BT off, but won't work with mobile data off on my phone. I believe it's the opposite with S and X. Probably why the Model 3 keyfob can't do it.

That's why I said, normal. ;-)

So, IF it finds a spot it's SLOW as hell...it's much faster, unless you really don't like parking to just do it yourself. Every time I've tried I feel like a fool waiting for it.
I'm not great at parking in reverse, so it's actually faster than me. Sometimes I would need to readjust to be in the middle of the spot and that makes me feel like a fool. LOL

I've provided feedback.
Oh, and it can navigate a parking lot as long as it's empty or you don't mind waiting 45 minutes while it stops when the wind blows.

Think about this. There are no lane markers in parking lots. Picture your car pulling out of the spot and trying to drive to get you and another car comes down the lane towards you. What do you think happens? Think about a car coming out of a spot in front of you...your car will drive real close (until it triggers the sensors) and then stop. It won't move if it's in the cars way, it will just wait until it can go forward. Same with people, carts, etc. If it gets stuck or confused it just stops. If you're 100' away, guess who has to run to get their car that is now blocking other cars. Tesla owns already have a stigma, I can't wait until people get blocked in my auto driving cars in the parking lot.

"Works fairly well". LOL. Sure, sure.

• Funny
Reactions: Bladerskb
Agreed, all this talk about “regulators” stepping in and stopping Summon from being used doesn’t make much sense. Said “regulators” have jurisdiction over public roads, not private property like parking lots.

NHTSA has jurisdiction over passenger vehicles sold in the US. The Tesla is intended for on-road use, even if summon theoretically is only intended to be used on private property.

Not much different from when the FTC or the CPSC steps in to force a recall of a consumer product.

BTW, what's considered parking lot? Would a parking structure considered a parking lot? Would it limit itself to just one floor or can it go up and down the structure? Does it need GPS coverage? Also, there are quite a few parking lots I know of that has one way only lanes, so would it be able to deal wit this?

This will be the main feature that'll push me to order FSD if it works. But I am wondering what the potential limitations are?

When it first rolls out it will be limited to 150 feet. You have to watch it at all times and keep your finger on the button. It will move super slow and be very conservative in stopping. It will only come to you or a waypoint, not find a parking spot. No it will not work in a parking garage across multiple floors. First GPS must be working and it must be within view and distance. It can't work in 3D.

This reported from current testers with a few of my added guesses.

It makes 100% sense that driver is responsible for all FSD features except for smart summon. If you are in the opposite side of the parking lot and can't see your car, how can you use smart summon if you need to monitor it? And that also means it won't work in a parking structure since there is a very high chance your car will be on the different floor than you?

It won't do the things you just said for the reasons you just said.

When it first rolls out it will be limited to 150 feet. You have to watch it at all times and keep your finger on the button. It will move super slow and be very conservative in stopping. It will only come to you or a waypoint, not find a parking spot. No it will not work in a parking garage across multiple floors. First GPS must be working and it must be within view and distance. It can't work in 3D.

This reported from current testers with a few of my added guesses.

This sounds like the vast majority of Tesla owners will find it pretty useless (for anything other than backing down a long home driveway, which is really a different application of the technology); yet it will be very annoying to everyone else in the parking lot when the few owners who do try to use it in workplace or public lots insist on "experimenting with it" in those settings.

Also, that description, while likely quite accurate, sounds nothing like the new description on the Tesla website: "Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really. "

Reactions: more863-also
This sounds like the vast majority of Tesla owners will find it pretty useless (for anything other than backing down a long home driveway, which is really a different application of the technology); yet it will be very annoying to everyone else in the parking lot when the few owners who do try to use it in workplace or public lots insist on "experimenting with it" in those settings.

Also, that description, while likely quite accurate, sounds nothing like the new description on the Tesla website: "Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really. "

I think it is consistent with their description, but they left out some performance numbers, like how big a parking lot and how long you have to wait. They clearly say parking lot, not parking garage. I have only used Auto Park once because it is so hard to trigger and so slow that I can't be bothered with all the cars I am holding up. I think this will be thee same.

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
I think it is consistent with their description, but they left out some performance numbers, like how big a parking lot and how long you have to wait. They clearly say parking lot, not parking garage. I have only used Auto Park once because it is so hard to trigger and so slow that I can't be bothered with all the cars I am holding up. I think this will be thee same.

I think there's a huge difference between: "will find you anywhere in a parking lot" and "will come to a designated point and can only do so if you have a clear and direct line of sight on the car at all times so you can maintain control of the car."

I think there's a huge difference between: "will find you anywhere in a parking lot" and "will come to a designated point and can only do so if you have a clear and direct line of sight on the car at all times so you can maintain control of the car."

I said you or a waypoint. It will use your GPS coordinates of the phone. So you could move around I suppose. I think the waypoint is to send it somewhere else. Like to pick someone else up.

I said you or a waypoint. It will use your GPS coordinates of the phone. So you could move around I suppose. I think the waypoint is to send it somewhere else. Like to pick someone else up.

Fair enough.... The issue for me isn't whether it goes to a waypoint or homes in on the phone. The issue is that the feature requires maintenance of a clear line of sight (and presumes that the operator can visualize what the car is doing from 150 ft away in order to intervene before a crash).