Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart summon missing, 2019 Model S Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

Having only owned my S for a month now i'm still learning about autopilot, fsd etc so apologies if this is already covered in the forums elsewhere ( i did try a search ).

I note some people of talking about smart summon being available since the latest upgrade. My car is now on the latest release (2019.40.50.7) but i don't have the summon feature in the app.

I this because i only have Autopilot and not the FSD features ? If so, how does one go about ordering FSD, i can't see an option for upgrades in the account section on the Tesla website.

Thanks

Andy
Model S Performance

Hi

Having only owned my S for a month now i'm still learning about autopilot, fsd etc so apologies if this is already covered in the forums elsewhere ( i did try a search ).

I note some people of talking about smart summon being available since the latest upgrade. My car is now on the latest release (2019.40.50.7) but i don't have the summon feature in the app.

I this because i only have Autopilot and not the FSD features ? If so, how does one go about ordering FSD, i can't see an option for upgrades in the account section on the Tesla website.

Thanks

Andy
Model S Performance

Andy, I’m a Model 3 owner and a new one at that but in the absence of anyone at 1am, assuming it’s the same as the 3, you’ll only get it with FSD. To purchase it in my case, I go to web and my Tesla account, click ‘mange’ on the car amd then upgrades. It’s not as obvious as it seems until you’ve done it once. hope it’s the same for your Model S. can’t see why it wouldn’t be.

I’d read up a bit on UK users who have it first before taking the plunge though. It seems most things under the FSD banner are a tad crippled for UK owners.

Attachments

• 66AEDA57-67F6-45A4-800E-9809A99A4767.jpeg
    66AEDA57-67F6-45A4-800E-9809A99A4767.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 65
  • 60749EF2-9731-455D-9613-1E64B5B5846E.png
    60749EF2-9731-455D-9613-1E64B5B5846E.png
    601.8 KB · Views: 40
Smart Summon is on my 2019 S with FSD. However I'd advise that smart summon alone is really not worth paying for right now. You need to want the other benefits of FSD to go for it.

in the UK smart summon is massively hampered by regulation. It only works when you're standing right next to the car and even then is so unreliable as to mean you're almost certain to give up on it before it gets anywhere.

For the FSD upgrade you get lane change, navigate on autopilot and some future stuff yet to be released, all of which have some (subjective) value. I'm comfortable I paid for it on my 2019 S because I see it as an investment in what's to come and I use lane change/NoA all the time, but smart summon as it stands today in the UK is not something I'd pay even a fiver for!

Jimbo and Luke, thanks for taking the time to reply. I hear the warnings about paying for FSD and i'm not sure i want just yet, but i don't even have the option for upgrades on the my Tesla webpage. see attached

Attachments

• models.JPG
    models.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 35
I have smart summon and tried it once and gave up as in uk it’s basically useless. I would be interested to know if anybody here has actually used it for a genuine reason rather than just trying it out or showing it off to people?

You are calling it Smart Summon but I think you just mean "Summon". If it only works when you are standing by the car - what's the point? The old "Summon" available on cars since the original AP1 is fine if you are standing by the car, just to pull it out of a tight space so you can get in.Smart summon is meant to have the car come to you from across a car park.

You are calling it Smart Summon but I think you just mean "Summon". If it only works when you are standing by the car - what's the point? The old "Summon" available on cars since the original AP1 is fine if you are standing by the car, just to pull it out of a tight space so you can get in.Smart summon is meant to have the car come to you from across a car park.

In the latest update for us in the uk we got our version of “smart summon” as well as the standard “summon” that we already had. We even have a smart summon button on our app as well as the standard summon forward and reverse buttons. The difference between the 2 is that smart summon actually steers the car and switches between forward and reverse whereas with summon it can only go in a straight line and either forward or back depending which button you press on the app. Both types of summon have a restriction on how far you can move the car.
However the EU smart summon restrictions mean that both the phone and the key fob have to be in range of the car. Hence why the only way it works in uk is if we walk along beside the car - we might as well be inside driving it!