Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Summon Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a week old Model 3 and am having all sorts of issues with smart summon. First when I tried to summon it from the end of my driveway (20 ft away) to me it tried to back out away from me instead of coming forward to me. I thought is might have been a confused GPS but today (3 days later) I parked in a spot about 100 ft. from the entrance to a hospital. When I smart summoned it the car went in the opposite direction from me. I though it was going around a traffic circle but it stopped maybe 600 ft away in the middle of the street and I had to walk to it. What can I do to try to diagnose this? In both cases the blue and red dots were correctly located on the app. Thanks.

Reactions: wchomak
I think most folks after trying Smart Summons for a few times, come to the conclusion that it's not a reliably or fully functional feature, and don't use it anymore.

Maybe this will change with FSD, but it seems Tesla hasn't updated Smart Summons since it was released in it's current form.
Yeah, seems like all Tesla's software development is focused on getting the City Streets function out first (as that is promised for this year). Afterwards maybe they might work on Smart Summons (although their attention might instead focus on trying to get FSD closer to L4/L5).

I have a week old Model 3 and am having all sorts of issues with smart summon. First when I tried to summon it from the end of my driveway (20 ft away) to me it tried to back out away from me instead of coming forward to me. I thought is might have been a confused GPS but today (3 days later) I parked in a spot about 100 ft. from the entrance to a hospital. When I smart summoned it the car went in the opposite direction from me. I though it was going around a traffic circle but it stopped maybe 600 ft away in the middle of the street and I had to walk to it. What can I do to try to diagnose this? In both cases the blue and red dots were correctly located on the app. Thanks.
Have you tried the Go To Target -vs- the Come To Me setting?

Our model x stopped summoning into our tight garage, but still backs out. A Tesla tech came out and told us it’s likely a firmware issue and there’s not currently a fix. I’ll be climbing out the window each time I park in the garage, like Starsky and Hutch…or whoever it was….bummmmmer but at least they acknowledged the problem and are working on a fix.

Reactions: Nightshifter
I have renamed Summons to “Try and Catch Me” - it appears the feature is designed to make me chase down the car!

• Funny
Reactions: Enginerd
Smart summon is only supposed to work properly in public car parks that have been mapped properly
Somewhere along the way someone discovered Tesla was using open street maps for public car parks
or maybe it was just a rumor. Dozens of dedicated Teslarites set off on a mission to drive around car parks
feverishly submitting to open street maps. Hoping that eventually their cars would stop running away.
Some say they those cars are still out there, wild and free as nature intended

To this day you can still see that wild unpredictable Teslang streak when your car answers the call of the wild
and decides to make a bid to freedom across the car park

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow
Our model x stopped summoning into our tight garage, but still backs out. A Tesla tech came out and told us it’s likely a firmware issue and there’s not currently a fix. I’ll be climbing out the window each time I park in the garage, like Starsky and Hutch…or whoever it was….bummmmmer but at least they acknowledged the problem and are working on a fix.
Boom box playing Starsky and Hutch theme as you slide across the frunk
Huggy Bear ...were have you been

Reactions: JHCCAZ
I am having problems with my Tesla app not being able to summon outside of wifi range. I use an iPhone XR. My wife’s uses an iPhone XS and has no problems. I have done all the possible troubleshooting including removing app and reloading to no avail. Switching summon off and back on etc. Nothing makes it work. The car is connected to LTE so no problem there. Only thing I have not tried is remove my other app “watch for Tesla” just in case there is a software issue there that prevents it as my wife doesn’t use that. Update to follow.

I am having problems with my Tesla app not being able to summon outside of wifi range. I use an iPhone XR. My wife’s uses an iPhone XS and has no problems. I have done all the possible troubleshooting including removing app and reloading to no avail. Switching summon off and back on etc. Nothing makes it work. The car is connected to LTE so no problem there. Only thing I have not tried is remove my other app “watch for Tesla” just in case there is a software issue there that prevents it as my wife doesn’t use that. Update to follow.
When the app gets stuck in general, I have found if you disable wifi and use LTE on your phone it may work. Just some ideas.

Dukes of Hazzard (although I see why you would want to forget that show)