Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart summon still a parlor trick.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is in the service center right now getting the upgrade (AP2.5/MCU1 --> FSD/MCU2). Smart Summon was not high on my list of things to try post-upgrade I must admit, since I have very little practical use for it. I've not used Smart Summon more than a handful of times since it was added, and the last time was probably 4-5 software updates ago now. Car was running 2020.16.2.1 when I dropped it off this morning, and has been re-upgraded to the same version at least three times today as part of the hardware change (all expected).

My car is in the service center right now getting the upgrade (AP2.5/MCU1 --> FSD/MCU2). Smart Summon was not high on my list of things to try post-upgrade I must admit, since I have very little practical use for it. I've not used Smart Summon more than a handful of times since it was added, and the last time was probably 4-5 software updates ago now. Car was running 2020.16.2.1 when I dropped it off this morning, and has been re-upgraded to the same version at least three times today as part of the hardware change (all expected).
Just notified by service that the upgrade is complete, however an issue I reported with the FWD and rear hatch starting to regularly hit the garage door were previously they would not was reproduced and requires a part... so pickup delayed at least a delay. Glad to hear the upgrade went smoothly for them, and can't wait to try it.

it really is mostly a parlor trick, but let us not forget that is still a pretty impressive trick to show off.

The only one time I found it useful was getting off a commuter bus at a park and ride lot, and being able to summon it out of it's parking space as I tiredly walked across the parking lot back to my Tesla.

Last time I used it was at a park just after they re-opened them. Lot was pretty much empty, and was coming back from a hike with the dog, summoned the car, which decided to stop blocking the main route through the parking lot...right when a cop showed up trying to get through. I quickly ran to the car to move it out of the way.

• Funny
Reactions: Tdreamer
Range is so short that it's faster to walk to the car and leave then opening the app, wait to connect, summoning the car, get in, and then leave.

I wish I can summon it to the front of my office while I walk down to the 1st floor and the car is waiting for me outside. I also like to walk down the mountain of my house and have the car come down to pick me up because it's a 30-45 min back up to house. Would be awesome if it can find me miles a way. Can't wait for robotaxi.

Reactions: H4RDWRK and PrGrPa
I tried summon multiple times just before I requested the FSD refund today. It was horrible. The route didn't make any sense. The car just kept stopping hard and going again randomly. You have to be so close to the car it's quicker to walk and sometimes the app shows you away from the car when your next to it.

It's a useless feature right now. It needs like two years of work.

Reactions: H4RDWRK and PrGrPa
Virtually no improvements since launch. Party trick wore off pretty quickly.

Used it once recently to get my car out of a tight spot and go elsewhere in the parking lot. Car stopped in the middle of the lot driving lane and blocked traffic. Not cool.

Favorite part is that right now Summon (smart or dumb version) fails to start on the first try 100% of the time. Not fun since it’s how I get the car out of the garage and then back in on days where I want to take the motorcycle.

I have a detached garage and I use (dumb) Summon every single day. I would say 1 out of 20 times I would start then immediately stop but starting it back up works every time. Just wish it would respect the grass edging and keep itself on the pavement but those times are far and few.

I tried summon multiple times just before I requested the FSD refund today. It was horrible. The route didn't make any sense. The car just kept stopping hard and going again randomly. You have to be so close to the car it's quicker to walk and sometimes the app shows you away from the car when your next to it.

It's a useless feature right now. It needs like two years of work.

It really varies from parking lot to parking lot, based on whether or not the lot is actually mapped. Sleuths around here found Tesla uses Open Street Maps for parking lot navigation. I and others have found you can get it to drive properly if you annotate parking lots that weren't previously annotated.

Boy, this thread was just what I was looking for! I've had FSD for a week and yesterday thought I'd try Smart Summon in an empty school parking lot. Well it worked, sort of. Didn't pay any attention to the lane and stall markings. I was standing on the curb and the car nosed right up to me, stopping across the driving lane. I thought, This isn't ready for the Target parking lot! Looks like you all agree.
Thanks, everybody.

Reactions: diplomat33