Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Summon won’t leave garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a moderately tight garage. In particular there are ceiling to floor cabinets with a sliding door about 2 feet from the rear left (driver side) corner and the same about 6 inches from the front left corner of the car.

Normal Summon works fine: opens the garage door with Homelink and backs straight out. Because my driveway curves, I can only back it out about 10 ft beyond the garage door, max.

I have tried to use Smart Summon (“Come to Me”) multiple times now, thinking it could back down my curving driveway and meet me.

But it does not work. It constantly says “waiting to clear”. After maybe a minute it gives up entirely. During the whole process it does not move an inch.

I assume regular summon uses the ultrasonics too. So not sure why regular summon doesn’t freak out about the tight quarters and gets out just fine, but Smart Summon won’t budge, waiting for something (I assume the cabinets?) to “clear”.

Anybody have this happen or am I an unfortunate solo case here?

Thanks

I have a moderately tight garage. In particular there are ceiling to floor cabinets with a sliding door about 2 feet from the rear left (driver side) corner and the same about 6 inches from the front left corner of the car.

Normal Summon works fine: opens the garage door with Homelink and backs straight out. Because my driveway curves, I can only back it out about 10 ft beyond the garage door, max.

I have tried to use Smart Summon (“Come to Me”) multiple times now, thinking it could back down my curving driveway and meet me.

But it does not work. It constantly says “waiting to clear”. After maybe a minute it gives up entirely. During the whole process it does not move an inch.

I assume regular summon uses the ultrasonics too. So not sure why regular summon doesn’t freak out about the tight quarters and gets out just fine, but Smart Summon won’t budge, waiting for something (I assume the cabinets?) to “clear”.

Anybody have this happen or am I an unfortunate solo case here?

Thanks
Well I can only laugh. Yea I have the same situation too - the lip out or in from my garage to the driveway is deep so the car stops, considers, and when it does not just give up it rolls over the lip and immediately down into a runoff dip in the driveway which stops it every time on either the front or back end. IF it continues then the momentum of having to start moving again uphill causes it to charge backward so alarmingly fast such that I fear it will hit other objects in my wide driveway like my wife's car. Going in to the garage forward it navigates well but gets tripped up on the lip and stops more than half the time.

And why, when I summon it from a side parking area in front of my yard, does it go past MY driveway to the neighbors, turns around there, then comes back to and turns in correctly? This is an improvement however, because it used to try to drive through my yard to get the the garage. Honestly I am pretty much afraid to use summon in a public space.

Smart summon currently only works in parking lots and open driveways and it only works decently well when that private lot is mapped. You can submit a revision through that open source map program. I don't recall the site but you can search and find it and maybe add your house if you want. That doesn't guarantee success but it will tremendously boost the capability since vision alone is currently very bad.