Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saturday night I tried to get a single, summon to bring the car. But all I could get were short segments:
  • Model 3: V2.5 hardware
  • Firmware: 2019.32.11.1
  • iPhone 5s (in water/shock resistant case)
  • IOS: 12.4.2
  • WiFi - OFF
  • TSLA App: Version 3.10.0
In all cases, I held the iPhone button down constantly and the car stopped on its own after 20 ft. I have basic AutoPilot.

This is the parking lot for testing:
summ_010.jpg

Testing was done on a dark and lightly stormy night:
summ_020.jpg

There are two ways to activate with the simple button:
summ_030.jpg

There is also a sub-menu:
summ_040.jpg

In the sub-menu, we have the basic and advanced summon:
summ_050.jpg

Here is the advanced option but I didn't try changing the destination. Regardless, it shows we were within range:
summ_060.jpg

Independent dash cam:

Tesla dash cam video:

I bought basic AutoPilot and sent an e-mail to Tesla support asking if this is an AutoPilot limitation or a problem seen in the car logs. There is an extended AutoPilot but for an additional $6,000, the 20 ft segments are good enough.

Bob Wilson

I thought I remembered in some of the beta tester videos, the phone app had a view that would show the obstacles that the car was painting with cameras & ultrasonics. Has anyone seen this in the wide V10 release?
Answering my own question... the app view showing obstacles rendered based on sensor data is linked to the "come to me" mode. When navigating to a dropped pin, only the map/satellite view shows up.

@diplomat33 -- Really? disagree with my experiences using it? You and the two others disagreeing live in an alternate reality. Keep smart summoning, please.

I've tested it several times and it's basically not useful because it will crash into more objects than dumb summon. It's also faster and way looser with the controls than dumb summon. I'm shocked people use it. Tesla repair times are horrible.