Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart suspension question(s)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just been playing with the car since it's brand new - first full day of owning it. My question is about the smart suspension - I've tried to raise it a couple of times and it always seems to return to the standard height within a few seconds. Looking at the manual, it says that you need to hold the brake pedal down (and I've done that) - same effect.

Have I missed something here or am I using it wrong? I was trying to use it to raise it to avoid a curb. No speed as I was on the brakes. I also thought that one could potentially need to adjust ride height on the fly so something doesn't makes sense.

This seems strange to me. I am currently parked at work and I have my car as high as possible to avoid the curb.

The only reason my car lowers to the standard height is when I am driving above 35 mph. I'm sure you have rebooted the car and all of the other "typical" things we do when something doesn't work properly. If it still is a problem, I'd talk with the Service Center about it...

Good luck!

Yeah something is not right from your description. If you are below the necessary speeds (something like 35 for high and 22 for very high) you should be able to adjust on the fly, even if the car is moving.

Do you see a message in the top middle of the screen saying that the car is in an auto-raising location? If so, X that out to start from a clean slate. Just taking shots in the dark, but maybe if you have been playing with it a lot in one spot there are conflicting messages?

Yeah something is not right from your description. If you are below the necessary speeds (something like 35 for high and 22 for very high) you should be able to adjust on the fly, even if the car is moving.

Do you see a message in the top middle of the screen saying that the car is in an auto-raising location? If so, X that out to start from a clean slate. Just taking shots in the dark, but maybe if you have been playing with it a lot in one spot there are conflicting messages?

That's a possibility. I will try both clearing the auto-raising location as well as a reboot.

No error messages are popping up either.

Hmm... Same issue on my P85+. Set to go to the low setting at 55+ mph. Display shows that I am at standard. Press low, and 3-4 seconds later button goes back to standard. Frustrating. Which software update? I do not see that an update is waiting...

Hmm... Same issue on my P85+. Set to go to the low setting at 55+ mph. Display shows that I am at standard. Press low, and 3-4 seconds later button goes back to standard. Frustrating. Which software update? I do not see that an update is waiting...

There was a software update I received notification while away last week. I did it on Sunday night and it resolved the suspension issue (so far as raising it). I'll give it a try with lowering at highway speed later. I don't know if it impacted all S models, or just the new facelifted ones. Mine is one of the facelifted models.

^ Dumb question but are you actually going 55+ when you press it?
Yes - I'm usually around 70 mph when I press it. Low turns blue for a few seconds, then it goes back to standard. Tried the reboot last night in my garage - where the car is set to automatically go to very high. Sit in the garage, foot on the brake, I was unable to have it change to anything - would keep going back to very high. Disabled the gps aware part, but still no luck. I must be doing something wrong - or the owner's manual is wrong...