Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smashed C-Pillar window at Fleming's in Santa Clara, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tonight between 8:23pm and 9:48pm, some asshat smashed the C-pillar window on my Model S driver's side. They flipped down the rear seat. Guess they saw the case of bottled water in the trunk and moved on. Luckily my window tint kept a huge chunk of the glass together on the rear floor deck; there were bits of glass on the back seat and floor though.

I was parked right in front of Fleming's Steakhouse in Santa Clara. The manager said they don't have exterior security cameras and that he's only had this happen twice. The parking lot security guy said it happens all the time in their parking lot.

I filed a police report and don't expect anything to happen.

Does anyone know the cost of repairing the window? Does Tesla do it or farm it out to a shop?

Attachments

• IMG_1360.JPG
    IMG_1360.JPG
    291.5 KB · Views: 193
I was parked right in front of Fleming's Steakhouse in Santa Clara. The manager said they don't have exterior security cameras and that he's only had this happen twice. The parking lot security guy said it happens all the time in their parking lot.

A quick scan of Streetview suggests that the nearby Whole Foods Store and the Chase Bank have security cameras.

You’d think there would be an alarm for breaking glass.
UK Teslas do have an intrusion alarm, with the sensor fitted just above the rear view mirror. IIRC, this used to be an optional "Security Package" but this is now standard. I think this is down to EU directives and local national regulations.

Thanks. Doubt I’ll file an insurance claim. Not worth it. You’d think there would be an alarm for breaking glass.

Well, that just blows.

It would be nice if we had the Euro Tesla package that *does* have that. Especially given the scope of the problem.

When they replace the tint and those 2 corner window glass pieces, do consider C-Bond’s window tint additive that helps strengthen the tint/glass barrier.

There are threads about the subject. I don’t know who the NorCal authorized shop would be. Had mine done in SoCal.

Why the North American market can’t have glass breaker sensors and an alarm that would at least trigger an app alert is a disturbing situation, yeah. Most of the cars targeted have been in the Bay Area - perhaps due to that large crew that just got taken down, although clearly the break-ins have continued.

Frustrating.

Yes I use the privacy screen. No I’m
Not going to remove it. I read all the debates on this.

I called Tesla and have an appt in a week at a service center to check it out. They said if the trim wasn’t damaged then they can fix at the dealer. Looks like the trim is intact and that my window tint helped with that.

Attachments

• C741EF8D-1740-48D9-8BCB-0BB5BCD63328.jpeg
    C741EF8D-1740-48D9-8BCB-0BB5BCD63328.jpeg
    415.3 KB · Views: 121
  • Helpful
Reactions: FlatSix911
My brother had the exact same thing happened to him. They visited the Winchester Mystery House, and the thief followed them from there to the restaurant knowing that they won't bring camera and such into the restaurant. And they did a smash and grab and got his camera even though it was hidden from sight. He found out about the "being followed from Winchester House" part from the Police because they said it happened all the time in that area.

What they do is hang out at tourist attractions around meal time. If they see someone with nice car and big camera, they follow them to the restaurant (tourists have to eat out) and do their 20 sec smash and grab.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Same thing happened to my Model S last Tuesday in Oakland, CA . The car was parked in front of a restaurant on a fairly busy street. They cracked a hole on the quarter window, passenger side. Got a quote from Tesla service for about 1,300 bucks. Out of pocket cost is $150 deductible (AAA insurance).

It kinda pisses me off that my tint shop didn't tell me about this, when I had my PhotoSync applied a couple years ago.

C-Bond Systems - Absolute Perfection Window Tinting

I just sent them a note to see if they can retrofit this stuff. Also may get the front window done too to protect from stone impacts..

Great links. I would also recommend that C-Bond exterior windshield coating, which is a) inexpensive and b) comes with a great warranty. For those in SoCal, Extreme Autowerks now in Brea is the place to go for C-Bond productized services.

Lastly, for those who want a bit of visual reinforcement wrt the general concept, here’s an example (below) of what we’re trying to achieve - which is to simply make it more annoying and more of a time-consuming hassle to get into your chariot than the 100 chariots nearby. Security film not yet available for cars afaik, but the additive is.

In this video, that’s the owner of Extreme Autowerks (and staff, and customers), and that’s his own shop’s front door.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe