Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smelly A/C - how to clean?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gregd

Dec 31, 2014
CM98
A quick search didn't net anything, but I'm guessing I'm not the first to have this problem.

With summer here it's time to be using the air conditioner... Unfortunately, mine seems to have developed a mold or some other kind of slime problem, where it starts smelling rather bad when the A/C is running. With just the fan, or with heat last winter, not a problem, but when the evaporator gets cold and presumably wet, things get smelly.

Is there something I can spray into a vent somewhere to kill whatever is growing in there, or do I need to take half the car apart to get at the fins to clean them properly?

The problem is condensation gets trapped inside the evaporator and you get that smell, whenever possible try using the A/C without recirculate enabled, when you park the car make sure you leave the A/C in outside air so the water can evaporate and is not sealed.

if that doesn't help then you may have to get the evaporator cleaned.

Source: Used to be a mechanic, also had the same issue with my Infiniti

As a rule, always leave it on Fresh Air (versus Recirc) in any car to keep bacteria and mold from growing in the ducts. But it's inevitable to get some stink at some point. I've used this before, it worked great:

Amazon.com: einszett 961108 Klima-Cleaner Air Conditioner Cleaner - 10 fl. oz.,: Automotive

Ok, yeah, that's what I was thinking of. Where do I squirt it? Just turn on the fan and blow it in from the front, or do I need to be more precise on its delivery?

I almost never use recirc... Kind of pointless with a car that's that drafty :)

Evaporator drain tube under the car (where the water comes from when the A/C is on)

Ok, so obvious next dumb question... Where's the drain tube?

I don't recall seeing any water on the ground (which may indicate the real problem - a plugged tube). Just ran the A/C for a bit in the garage; nothing dripping...

Just looking under from the side, all I see is flat sheet metal. Where did they put the thing?

Ha! There it is. Thanks!

I pushed a piece of 1/8" drip line hose up through the drain pipe. It came out with some water drops on it, but no gush of fluid so not likely plugged. I wouldn't expect a pipe that size to plug anyway. The drain on my other cars are about 1/4", and one did tend to plug up from time to time. Ew. Never did smell much, though.

Sprayed the stuff into the two grills in the front. Made a bit of a mess, but we'll see if it helps in a few days when the weather gets hot again. Thanks for the help!

I had the same problem -smelled pretty bad. Replaced the cabin filters and sprayed the anti something spray and eventually smell went away. I read somewhere that if you take the car through a carwash that you should shut off the HVAC. It might suck moisture into the system. I do that now and no more smell!

I had the same problem -smelled pretty bad. Replaced the cabin filters and sprayed the anti something spray and eventually smell went away. I read somewhere that if you take the car through a carwash that you should shut off the HVAC. It might suck moisture into the system. I do that now and no more smell!
Cabin filters? I didn't know the Roadsters had them...

By way of an update, the spray didn't seem to do much good. I don't think I really got much of it into where it needed to go. But eventually by running the system when it was warm out, even if I didn't absolutely have to, the smell seemed to dissipate. Maybe it just took time to suck the spray into the system, but I think it simply dried out. Winter's set in now, so we'll see what happens next spring.

I had a smelly AC last week due to someone throwing their cigarette out on the freeway which got sucked up into my car. Windows down with AC on full for several hours didn't fully get rid of the smell, so I think i'll have to try out some of that AC cleaner.
Surprised that it would actually go into the vent system. My car has a mesh screen over the two duct intakes behind the front grill. Are yours not screened? Worst case I'd expect it might have gotten stuck on the screen, but you should be able to see that when looking into the front of the car.