Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smelly A/C?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many auto parts stores carry an anti-mildew spray that you simply spray into the exterior air intake with the fan on high and it will clear this up. I have had cars with the odor and others without.

One trick is to turn off the a/c compressor but leave the fan on high for the last mile or so of your drive. It will dry out any water/moisture on the evaporator coils so that mildew will not form.

I had a similar issue. I mentioned it to service and they replaced the filter, as I recall (it was about a year ago). It hasn't recurred since then.
Or A/C has started to smell mildewy or funky for the first minute of use every day. The car isn't very old (Mar 2015 and 4500 miles). Our first Model S never did this. Any ideas? Plugged drain somewhere maybe?

Many auto parts stores carry an anti-mildew spray that you simply spray into the exterior air intake with the fan on high and it will clear this up. I have had cars with the odor and others without.

One trick is to turn off the a/c compressor but leave the fan on high for the last mile or so of your drive. It will dry out any water/moisture on the evaporator coils so that mildew will not form.
Perfect. A common problem here in AZ, we have to do this with our ICE cars as well. I don't know why it is more common in some cars and not others (especially of the same make), but there it is.

Perfect. A common problem here in AZ, we have to do this with our ICE cars as well. I don't know why it is more common in some cars and not others (especially of the same make), but there it is.

The most likely answer is your local conditions. For AC to work it has to deal with a number of different things in the air. In this case there is a balance for chilling air and pulling moisture out of the air it has to achieve. If that balance is at the dry extreme, it cools well but there isn't enough moisture condensing on the condenser coils and carrying debris/mold/whatever off with it out of the drain. In a place with lots of moisture in the air, the condenser is less efficient at cooling, but it pulls lots of water out of the air and effectively rinses itself.

Manufacturers try to balance the needs well with the right fill of refrigerant, but no system is perfect.

That "first minute" unpleasant odor is exactly what we complained to our Service Center several months ago. Our P85 is from Oct 2013. SC notes state "...found non charcoal cabin air filter. Charcoal cabin air filter is used to eliminate cabin odor. Replaced with charcoal air filter."

And we've not had any recurrence of the odor. I hope this solves your problem, although I find it strange that such a recent build as yours might still not have had the earlier, non-charcoal filter.