Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smelly stinky socks / mold in Model 3 AC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you documented any of the details? Link?

If they are as thorough as the Road Noise & Front Wind Noise thread you did, I would be Very interested to see what variations you have tested and the conclusions you have come to, and if they apply to all geographical locations.
The filter is the only thing I can remove and hold it to my nose. The filter is not stinky. What is causing the stink? That is still the mystery.

The filter is the only thing I can remove and hold it to my nose. The filter is not stinky. What is causing the stink? That is still the mystery.
If the intake screen (way down inside the opening) is free from leaves then the condenser may have mold. A foam AC cleaning like Klima or Kool-it will help. I use 2 cans Klima when I replace my filters every 6 months. No stink.

I finally replaced the air filters / cleaned the coils for the first time, after 100k miles, 5 1/2 yrs. Never had a real problem with the odor although I would notice a very slight smell from time to time during wet weather, when I'd do multiple back to back trips (high humidity situations). This was not unlike any other car I've ever owned, so it never appeared to be an issue. I'd purchsed the filters (including one for the top opening under the hood), and some "Kool It" cleaning solution maybe 3 years ago, and just never got around to it.

What surprised me was the condition of the filters after all that time. They were dirty, yes, but only slightly so. I noted a very small amount of what looked like tiny grass clippings in the folds of the filter closest to the intake, but that was about it. I live in Florida, and even with our warm weather (and frequent rain showers) I'd think I'd see more of this problem, but in all this time it has been very tame. Possibly it has to do with the fact the car's garage kept, like, 95% of the time its parked?