Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smelly stinky socks / mold in Model 3 AC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my car cleaned for free by Tesla last summer, about 9 months after buying the car. Smell was back in just a couple of months.

What if you just take the filter out? Or a fairly course filter? I would rather take in some road fumes than have to live with that stink every time I star the car.

Inhaling mold spores every time I drive my Tesla probably isn't particularly healthy. Hopefully "Tesla lung" doesn't become a new affliction.

I had my car cleaned for free by Tesla last summer, about 9 months after buying the car. Smell was back in just a couple of months.

What if you just take the filter out? Or a fairly course filter? I would rather take in some road fumes than have to live with that stink every time I star the car.

Inhaling mold spores every time I drive my Tesla probably isn't particularly healthy. Hopefully "Tesla lung" doesn't become a new affliction.
If it happens again even after doing what I have done (read my posts above), I will go down the path of removing the inside filter and only use an air filter on the frunk vent intake.

Today I replaced my filters with the scotchgard coated ones. The two filters that came out, the one in the bottom felt damp. I took the two used filters and weighed them. The top filter was 193g and the bottom slightly damp filter was 198g.
I think this is a decent idea except for the fact that it's going to reduce the filtering efficiency. (Though anything better then smelly socks). Are there any antimicrobial sprays available can impregnate a fabric? Im thinking a colloidal silver or similar.

The smell is back in my car and it's 100% not the filters.

My ac stinks again 3 months after using Kilma cleaner, I took the filters out today to swap in new ones, the old filters were a little dusty and dirty but didn't smell at all. There's no hint of mildew or mold on the filters themselves. I even wet them under the faucet to see if the smell appears, it didn't.

There's simply no sour smell from the filters while the ac stinks terribly. The ac always stinks for a minute after a short stop or if i toggle recirc on/off.

I used klima cleaner last time and interdynamics ac cleaner before that, both worked about the same, cleaning the sour smell for about 3-4 months. This time I'm trying non scented Microban to see if it works better or worse than the foaming ac cleaners.

The smell is back in my car and it's 100% not the filters.

My ac stinks again 3 months after using Kilma cleaner, I took the filters out today to swap in new ones, the old filters were a little dusty and dirty but doesn't smell at all. There's no hint of mildew or mold on the filters themselves. I even wet them under the faucet to see if the smell appears, it didn't.

There's simply no sour smell from the filters while the ac stinks terribly. The ac always stinks for a minute after a short stop or if i toggle recirc on/off.

I used klima cleaner last time and interdynamics ac cleaner before that, both worked about the same, cleaning the sour smell for about 3-4 months. This time I'm trying non scented Microban to see if it works better or worse than the foaming ac cleaners.
It's cases like yours why I said that people that claim it's all on wet filters and that coil cleaning was unnecessary are not correct. Obviously there are other places the smell comes from than the filter.

Did you check if the drain is perhaps clogged? Also perhaps check where the water drains to in the aero shield to see if there is some debris that may be the source of the smell.

Maybe some purpose made car AC duct odor eliminators? I found the below:
AircoFresh™ HVAC Odor Eliminator - Wynns USA
Autozone and Orielly's sells this one:
https://www.autozone.com/a-c-chargi...or/p/a-c-pro-vent-and-duct-cleaner/530806_0_0
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...-c-pro-vent-and-duct-cleaner/int1/17900?pos=0

Last edited:
It's cases like yours why I said that people that claim it's all on wet filters and that coil cleaning was unnecessary are not correct. Obviously there are other places the smell comes from than the filter.

Did you check if the drain is perhaps clogged? Also perhaps check where the water drains to in the aero shield to see if there is some debris that may be the source of the smell.

Maybe some purpose made car AC duct odor eliminators? I found the below:
AircoFresh™ HVAC Odor Eliminator - Wynns USA
Autozone and Orielly's sells this one:
https://www.autozone.com/a-c-chargi...or/p/a-c-pro-vent-and-duct-cleaner/530806_0_0
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...-c-pro-vent-and-duct-cleaner/int1/17900?pos=0
Yeah those posts that claim the filters got wet and moldy is why I put water on mine to check. It's 100% not true for my car, there's not even any hint of smell in the filters.

The drain isn't plugged, any time i sprayed ac cleaner it drains out no problem and I don't care enough to take the frunk lining off to check the aero shield. Seeing how small the drain hose is to the shield, I really doubt it could be a source of the strong smells. Anything is possible, but the ac fins has a huge surface area, and from the cell phone video footage i shot, it looked a little bit like mold was growing on the fins. The viewing angle is terrible so I'm not entirely sure.

As for ac cleaners, the two i tried are very well rated and they did work for a short few months. In fact your second link is the first one I tried.

Yeah those posts that claim the filters got wet and moldy is why I put water on mine to check. It's 100% not true for my car, there's not even any hint of smell in the filters.

The drain isn't plugged, any time i sprayed ac cleaner it drains out no problem and I don't care enough to take the frunk lining off to check the aero shield. Seeing how small the drain hose is to the shield, I really doubt it could be a source of the strong smells. Anything is possible, but the ac fins has a huge surface area, and from the cell phone video footage i shot, it looked a little bit like mold was growing on the fins. The viewing angle is terrible so I'm not entirely sure.

As for ac cleaners, the two i tried are very well rated and they did work for a short few months. In fact your second link is the first one I tried.
Be sure to check the intake under the frunk for debris (leaves etc.) Remove the shield look down the intake to the area of the screen that covers the intake (about 5 inches down inside). Assuming it is clear, I had the same problem until I did 2 complete Klima cleanings following the procedures on the can back to back before putting the new filter in. That worked for me. When I used 1 can it returned like you in 3 months. I also minimize the use of recirculate and try to use it only when necessary (usually only in peak summer with the AC). Some have also suggested after the cleanings running the heat on high for about 30 minutes to kill any mold left inside (I have not needed this step as the 2 cans Klima has worked well). I never had issues living in Los Angeles until I moved to New England and the summer humidity brought the smell. With west coast rains, you probably are now getting it. I clean every 6 months (spring and fall) even if no odor.

Be sure to check the intake under the frunk for debris (leaves etc.) Remove the shield look down the intake to the area of the screen that covers the intake (about 5 inches down inside). Assuming it is clear, I had the same problem until I did 2 complete Klima cleanings following the procedures on the can back to back before putting the new filter in. That worked for me. When I used 1 can it returned like you in 3 months. I also minimize the use of recirculate and try to use it only when necessary (usually only in peak summer with the AC). Some have also suggested after the cleanings running the heat on high for about 30 minutes to kill any mold left inside (I have not needed this step as the 2 cans Klima has worked well). I never had issues living in Los Angeles until I moved to New England and the summer humidity brought the smell. With west coast rains, you probably are now getting it. I clean every 6 months (spring and fall) even if no odor.
Looked in the intake, nothing in there at all. I sprayed a bunch of Microban down it so i had a real good look.

I'm in LA and also didn't have any smells for a year until i started using recirc before getting onto the freeway traffic jams to minimize breathing in concentrated exhaust gases. After i started doing that the sour smells came pretty quickly.

Looked in the intake, nothing in there at all. I sprayed a bunch of Microban down it so i had a real good look.

I'm in LA and also didn't have any smells for a year until i started using recirc before getting onto the freeway traffic jams to minimize breathing in concentrated exhaust gases. After i started doing that the sour smells came pretty quickly.
Maybe the recirc mode is picking up the fragrance of your wet stinky socks …. j/k

• Funny
Reactions: XPsionic
Same here. I have the smell coming back less than a week after filter + a bottle of HVAC cleaning spry can "maintenance". I have tried Lysol and 1:10 bleach spry too.

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY A DESIGN FAULT ON THE Y/3. Zero issues on my S or any of my previous cars from other automakers. We shouldn't have to go through stupid routines to make sure our cars doesn't smell on every drive.

My family is pissed off every time we have to smell the start of the AC/Heat cycle on our 2020 Y. This is not a filter issue like you stated. I bought way too many cabin filters for a 15K mile odometer car.

*I should add my dad thinks the cabin filter is a life time part and never changes it and his cars (Toyotas) never smells like our Y.*
I have had my filters changed 3 times (at $141.00 each time) on my MYP. I think there is a design flaw that needs to be addressed. I feel the mold is very bad for my families health. If proven it could be very costly for Tesla. A simple drain hose would drain the water or a condenser. It is very embarrassing to have people ride in my car.

I have had my filters changed 3 times (at $141.00 each time) on my MYP. I think there is a design flaw that needs to be addressed. I feel the mold is very bad for my families health. If proven it could be very costly for Tesla. A simple drain hose would drain the water or a condenser. It is very embarrassing to have people ride in my car.
2 cans Klima, every six months works for me. Some will also run heat on high for 30 minutes to kill off anything. Try running with recirculate off.

2 cans Klima, every six months works for me. Some will also run heat on high for 30 minutes to kill off anything. Try running with recirculate off.
I have had several cars and have never had this kind of problems. I don't feel it should be our responsibility to spray or run the heater for 30 minutes or change filters every 3 to 6 months. My service tech even said it was an issue.

have any of you guys tried putting a plastic filter rather than cotton/synthetic into the car which can soak up water?

This company makes them - they are also imho the best ones I have used.

NB: I dont actually buy the humid/wet/mould theory.... Many cars get driven in the tropics (florida, cairns, townsville etc) and dont have this problem.

Reactions: XPsionic
have any of you guys tried putting a plastic filter rather than cotton/synthetic into the car which can soak up water?

NB: I dont actually buy the humid/wet/mould theory.... Many cars get driven in the tropics (florida, cairns, townsville etc) and dont have this problem.
The smell is the common Mold/mildew smell that affects a lot of AC systems, so it definitely has to do with it.

A car driven in the same area may not necessarily be in the same conditions. Putting aside regional differences in weather/temps (even in areas very close to each other) where people park may not necessarily be the same. For example the car being parked in the garage (heated/conditioned or not; garage getting sunlight or not), outside in shade, or outside in sun, all makes a difference.

The humidity most people reference typically is from a weather station very far from where they typically park. Almost nobody actually does humidity measurements of the car itself, especially near the HVAC (I have added sensors in my car, I know for a fact in the sun, there is a huge temperature difference at roof level vs at center console level).

Reactions: enemji

I have put in filters that I have coated with 3M waterproof shield, but yet breathable. Let’s see how that works out long term.

just had mine cleaned today they don't even spray a cleaner in the system anymore. Just change the filters. Tech told me to buy carbon filters from1PZ. He also said it was a big problem with the Y/3 and he has heard rumor there may be a fix on the way

just had mine cleaned today they don't even spray a cleaner in the system anymore. Just change the filters. Tech told me to buy carbon filters from1PZ. He also said it was a big problem with the Y/3 and he has heard rumor there may be a fix on the way
Filters aren't the culprit at least in my car, the filters themselves didn't smell and had no moldy spots, they still didn't smell after I soaked them in water for a smell test outside the car.

I tried a non foam spray (microban) and it only worked for about 2 days before the smell came back (that's including a filter change). With the foaming sprays specifically designed for car AC, I got about 3 months of clean air before the smell came back.

Soon I'll try a cheaper foaming AC spray designed for exterior AC fins and see if that works as well as the ones with an extender tube for car AC condensers.