Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smelly stinky socks / mold in Model 3 AC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone have any luck with understanding the warranty on the AC filter. We had the car for a few months when it started smelling like stinky socks and mold.

We did not call it in right away since the car is not driven that much initially. Then when the passenger door did not close properly, we had to call for service. Oddly, back passenger car door was not used much. I feel like we got a lemon.

Anyhow... we wanted to address both issues. Door is covered under warranty but not AC filter. They want to charge $149. There was a message that the AC filter will be changed with no charge, but message disappeared when service person came to the house and insist that we have to pay.

I told him to get me the Service Manager but we cannot get anyone on the phone. I told him to fix only the door and now I cannot see the History on the app.

I am on the Tesla chat and said I needed help with the AC filter on car and was transferred to an "Energy Customer Service' who is not transferring me to Vehicle. It's been over 20 minutes and no one is on my chat.

Anyone can explain the filter? I read it's a software update from 2020 posts. With that said, why would we be charged! Service person said we need to change and clean filter every 10 months. I used to drive BMW and Mercedes and I don't recall having to do it every 10 months - nor did I have the aggravating moldy, smelly socks to deal with. This seems expensive.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Informative
Reactions: enemji and Maric
A few people have reported them covering it, but they make most people pay for a replacement filter. The people that got it covered, were told it was "good will" so it does not appear to be a warranty item (filters in general are consumable items anyway for most manufacturers).

As for advice, it tends to get moldy because it doesnt dry out, and some people have worse time than others with it, based on how they have their AC set. I have never had the issue, and I drive with the HVAC on auto all the time, and I DO NOT have on recirculation.

I think you are likely on the hook for paying for it, but might be able to get them to "good will" it as long as you havent burnt that bridge with "fire and brimstone" ("you cant charge me for this!! this is a warranty item! I want to talk to the manager!") but it sounds like you might have done that already, so its unlikely they will "good will" anything.

After you get the replacement resolved one way or another, I suggest not using recirculate for long periods of time if you are doing that, making sure your car is up to date and you are not refusing updates (of you are doing that) and letting the HVAV system do its thing when you get out of the car.

Our 2021 Model Y stunk from delivery, had to pay to have it replaced. Our 2018 Model 3 stinks every year.

I have tried changing in the fall, but the best time is to wait until it gets humid in the spring to do a Kilma/KoolIT clean and change the filters to get through summer.

I'm convinced there is no way around it. Lots of people will claim it's normal and all cars suffer from this.

I wouldn't mind doing this every year except it it such a pain to change, especially the earlier models with the screw at the top.

Our 2021 Model Y stunk from delivery, had to pay to have it replaced. Our 2018 Model 3 stinks every year.

I have tried changing in the fall, but the best time is to wait until it gets humid in the spring to do a Kilma/KoolIT clean and change the filters to get through summer.

I'm convinced there is no way around it. Lots of people will claim it's normal and all cars suffer from this.

I wouldn't mind doing this every year except it it such a pain to change, especially the earlier m
It smelled within the first few months! We're in SoCal... so not much humidity. I do think there has to be a way for Tesla to fix this issue. Better sealing or a fan within a fan. It seems silly to have to change a filter every few months. They charge $149 to clean out but less if they just replace new filter without doing anything. Service guy did not give me quote for just filter replacement because he said that he needed to get in there.

A few people have reported them covering it, but they make most people pay for a replacement filter. The people that got it covered, were told it was "good will" so it does not appear to be a warranty item (filters in general are consumable items anyway for most manufacturers).

As for advice, it tends to get moldy because it doesnt dry out, and some people have worse time than others with it, based on how they have their AC set. I have never had the issue, and I drive with the HVAC on auto all the time, and I DO NOT have on recirculation.

I think you are likely on the hook for paying for it, but might be able to get them to "good will" it as long as you havent burnt that bridge with "fire and brimstone" ("you cant charge me for this!! this is a warranty item! I want to talk to the manager!") but it sounds like you might have done that already, so its unlikely they will "good will" anything.

After you get the replacement resolved one way or another, I suggest not using recirculate for long periods of time if you are doing that, making sure your car is up to date and you are not refusing updates (of you are doing that) and letting the HVAV system do its thing when you get out of the car.
Thank you for the suggestion re not recirculating the air. That seems counter intuitive because if the air is circulated, then there would be less liquid build up. We're in Sunny SoCal, so it's freaking hot here most of the year. The smell started almost within a few months.

We just got another Tesla the day before service guy came out. Had I known, I would insist on a brand new filter. I am guessing, the car must have sat in a warehouse and just absorbing moisture. Come to think of it... I think I will have the new car serviced with a new filter to preempt this issue.

As for burning the bridge, not sure... I couldn't even get anyone on the phone. Service guy said no one answered his call so he gave me a number to call. I had no luck. Chat was sent to "Energy Customer Service" after description re this issue to the initial CS agent. Energy CS said they would transfer me... but several hours later, it says there's a transmission error. FAILED. Back to zero.

Not loving Tesla Customer Service so far. I prefer my old service managers over at BMW and MB... at least they respond to calls and email when you need them. Already starting to look at those EVs...

Reactions: fredjan
Thank you for the suggestion re not recirculating the air. That seems counter intuitive because if the air is circulated, then there would be less liquid build up. We're in Sunny SoCal, so it's freaking hot here most of the year. The smell started almost within a few months.

We just got another Tesla the day before service guy came out. Had I known, I would insist on a brand new filter. I am guessing, the car must have sat in a warehouse and just absorbing moisture. Come to think of it... I think I will have the new car serviced with a new filter to preempt this issue.

As for burning the bridge, not sure... I couldn't even get anyone on the phone. Service guy said no one answered his call so he gave me a number to call. I had no luck. Chat was sent to "Energy Customer Service" after description re this issue to the initial CS agent. Energy CS said they would transfer me... but several hours later, it says there's a transmission error. FAILED. Back to zero.

Not loving Tesla Customer Service so far. I prefer my old service managers over at BMW and MB... at least they respond to calls and email when you need them. Already starting to look at those EVs...

Im in southern california too (Temecula actually), and have had my car 4 years, and have not had this issue. Most of the people I read here that have experienced this are also people who try to use recirculate either for long periods of time or all the time.

I was told that outside air is what helps dry the filter out, and that we are not "supposed" to use recirc all the time. I suspected you might be using a lot of recirc , because a lot of people who do that still experience this issue. With that being said, not ALL people who experience this use recirc all the time.

I read a lot less reports of this now though, since tesla changed the algorithms to run the HVAC system after parking for some time, to dry it out... except for people who use recirc a lot.

• Informative
Reactions: Maric and BeeGood
It smelled within the first few months! We're in SoCal... so not much humidity. I do think there has to be a way for Tesla to fix this issue. Better sealing or a fan within a fan. It seems silly to have to change a filter every few months. They charge $149 to clean out but less if they just replace new filter without doing anything. Service guy did not give me quote for just filter replacement because he said that he needed to get in there.
I've had my Model 3 for 9 months now (always garaged) and also live in SoCal (more like central California, near Fresno). I have not had any issues with my AC, but bought new HEPA filters and new windshield wipers from Tesla to have on standby, should the need arise for these parts. I have my AC on nearly year round, sometimes with recirc and sometimes not. Don't have any issues. My wife's Toyota Hybrid Camry XLE on the other hand, gives me a weird mold smell every other month, then goes away, only to come back. So, I know it isn't weather related.

Reactions: BeeGood
I don't think either cars or air filters sitting around just absorb moisture. The air filter is just paper or cotton, it's not a dessicant; my gut feel is that excess condensation out of the circulatiing air, from actually running the compressor cycle, is what gets things damp and then things start growing..,

I’ll share my experience with two M3s that have had the smell on and off, just so you have a better idea of what’s going on.

Under the frunk, there is a large opening on the left side close to the windshield. This is the air intake for your AC. If you stick your hand in as far as it will go, you’ll feel a metal grate in the back. You’ll also notice a small hole at the bottom, this is to drain any rain/car wash water that runs in (I’ll come back to this later).

Beyond the metal grate is your AC fan, then your filter, then the evaporator coils (the part that gets cold). The air flows into the intake, past the grate, through your filter and over the coils.

Now, to your problem. As others have said, the filter wouldn’t absorb moisture from the air, but it does likely wick water away from the condenser (the filter practically sits right against it). So both get (and can stay) wet. This is why Tesla recommends changing the filter and cleaning the coils. This is also what they tried to solve for with the software update in 2020 that runs your fan after you park.

I’ve come to believe that this is not the whole problem however. I mentioned the drain hole in the intake earlier. There is another one inside the compartment somewhere under the filter and coils. This water all drains to the same place…on top of the aero shield on the bottom of your car (if you look under your M3, there’s a plastic cover that runs the length of the car…this is the aero shield). I posted a video below that shows what’s going on at the 23 minute mark (this lady removed her frunk assembly to troubleshoot the smell). If water is just sitting there, it’s just a matter of time before it starts to stink.

My TESLA Smells New Again! (FULL TUTORIAL/ Exploring HVAC System)

In summary, you need the cleaning and a new filter. The cleaner will clean the coils, go through the drain hole and run out on top of the aero shield and take care of that if it is the issue. Tesla usually doesn’t good will this since filter changes are routine maintenance, but occasionally they do (it really seems to depend on who you talk to). You can also do it yourself. It’s not terribly difficult and there’s really nothing to mess up (I’ve done it 3 times on two M3s and I can assure you I’m not a car guy). If you get an inexpensive filter and a can of Koolit or Kilma Cleaner from Amazon it’ll cost you $30-$40.

I’ll also add that you can do a couple of things to help guard against the return of the smell afterwards:

• Don’t run recirculate all the time (as @jjrandorin said, you need to introduce fresh air to the system occasionally)
  • Adjust your cabin overheat protection settings. Either turn it off or set it to “fan only” (leaving it on AC will never give your unit a chance to dry out, especially considering where you live).
  • Occasionally run the AC on HI for 15-20 minutes (you can do this from the app). The heat/fan speed will help push any accumulated moisture out.
  • If you park in a garage daily (I do), occasionally park outside on clear, sunny days. This has helped get rid of the smell when it is mild

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Wondering if those with "a problem" turn off their AC regularly and/or don't just leave it on automatic setting. I'm betting many do "thinking" they are adding all kinds of range. Meh that's no way to live.

Again just wondering....

Wondering if those with "a problem" turn off their AC regularly and/or don't just leave it on automatic setting. I'm betting many do "thinking" they are adding all kinds of range. Meh that's no way to live.

Again just wondering....

I almost always drive in auto. Occasionally I increase the fan speed for more air flow (particularly when I’m hauling smelly kids after practice) but I always put it back in auto. I’ve had AC odors in two different Model 3s.

I have never driven the car with the climate controls off, but I’m not sure I understand the rationale behind the AC being off causing an odor either.

I almost always drive in auto. Occasionally I increase the fan speed for more air flow (particularly when I’m hauling smelly kids after practice) but I always put it back in auto. I’ve had AC odors in two different Model 3s.

I have never driven the car with the climate controls off, but I’m not sure I understand the rationale behind the AC being off causing an odor either.

Well me neither but an AC takes out humidity which I would think lessens "moisture" in the system and moisture is the cause of a lot of odors.
I've been wrong before but...

Well me neither but an AC takes out humidity which I would think lessens "moisture" in the system and moisture is the cause of a lot of odors.

Gotcha, yeah I can see how that that could cause moisture build up and odor in the cabin itself, but this smell is coming from within the HVAC system…it’s a consequence of condensation from the cold evaporator coils. Running the AC removes some of it, but it’s only going to make more as it runs (unless you only have the fan running with no AC).

I do agree about just leaving it in auto for the most part….I try to avoid jockeying controls as much as I can. The main reason I bought a Tesla in the first place is so it would do all this stuff for me. :cool:

Reactions: BMWM3Man
I’ll share my experience with two M3s that have had the smell on and off, just so you have a better idea of what’s going on.

Under the frunk, there is a large opening on the left side close to the windshield. This is the air intake for your AC. If you stick your hand in as far as it will go, you’ll feel a metal grate in the back. You’ll also notice a small hole at the bottom, this is to drain any rain/car wash water that runs in (I’ll come back to this later).

Beyond the metal grate is your AC fan, then your filter, then the evaporator coils (the part that gets cold). The air flows into the intake, past the grate, through your filter and over the coils.

Now, to your problem. As others have said, the filter wouldn’t absorb moisture from the air, but it does likely wick water away from the condenser (the filter practically sits right against it). So both get (and can stay) wet. This is why Tesla recommends changing the filter and cleaning the coils. This is also what they tried to solve for with the software update in 2020 that runs your fan after you park.

I’ve come to believe that this is not the whole problem however. I mentioned the drain hole in the intake earlier. There is another one inside the compartment somewhere under the filter and coils. This water all drains to the same place…on top of the aero shield on the bottom of your car (if you look under your M3, there’s a plastic cover that runs the length of the car…this is the aero shield). I posted a video below that shows what’s going on at the 23 minute mark (this lady removed her frunk assembly to troubleshoot the smell). If water is just sitting there, it’s just a matter of time before it starts to stink.

My TESLA Smells New Again! (FULL TUTORIAL/ Exploring HVAC System)

In summary, you need the cleaning and a new filter. The cleaner will clean the coils, go through the drain hole and run out on top of the aero shield and take care of that if it is the issue. Tesla usually doesn’t good will this since filter changes are routine maintenance, but occasionally they do (it really seems to depend on who you talk to). You can also do it yourself. It’s not terribly difficult and there’s really nothing to mess up (I’ve done it 3 times on two M3s and I can assure you I’m not a car guy). If you get an inexpensive filter and a can of Koolit or Kilma Cleaner from Amazon it’ll cost you $30-$40.

I’ll also add that you can do a couple of things to help guard against the return of the smell afterwards:

• Don’t run recirculate all the time (as @jjrandorin said, you need to introduce fresh air to the system occasionally)
  • Adjust your cabin overheat protection settings. Either turn it off or set it to “fan only” (leaving it on AC will never give your unit a chance to dry out, especially considering where you live).
  • Occasionally run the AC on HI for 15-20 minutes (you can do this from the app). The heat/fan speed will help push any accumulated moisture out.
  • If you park in a garage daily (I do), occasionally park outside on clear, sunny days. This has helped get rid of the smell when it is mild

Hope this helps. Good luck!

This is a great post. Would you consider evaluating it as if I was going to make it the first post of a sticky post entitled something like "Why your Model 3 may have oder in HVAC, and what to do about it"?

I could do it as is, but also wanted to let you know I was considering it and see if there were any other changes / additions you might want to make if it were to be the first post of a sticky on the subject.

Great post!

AC takes humidity from the cabin, but the water goes to the coils, which is what is speculated to be the problem.

As for why recirculate might be a problem, if your car already been has the mold spores, it will stay inside and continue growing. If you introduce fresh air it may help dilute it.

Also as for cabin humidity, keep in mind your own breath has water vapor. So it's not like with recirculate there isn't a source of more water vs fresh air.

Gotcha, yeah I can see how that that could cause moisture build up and odor in the cabin itself, but this smell is coming from within the HVAC system…it’s a consequence of condensation from the cold evaporator coils. Running the AC removes some of it, but it’s only going to make more as it runs (unless you only have the fan running with no AC).

I do agree about just leaving it in auto for the most part….I try to avoid jockeying controls as much as I can. The main reason I bought a Tesla in the first place is so it would do all this stuff for me. :cool:
After watching the video you linked and recalling when I smell the stink, do you think it's possible that the bad smells are coming from the aero shield area where the drain hole pours to? I only get the smells after the fan stops blowing for 15-30 minutes. Looking at the video, it doesn't look like there's much decay or bacteria growth in the coils/filter area. Maybe the bad smells is back flowing through the drain hole from the aero shield area whenever the fan is off? The car honestly doesn't smell bad at all while the fan is running, it's always just a blast of sour smell for the first 30 seconds or so of turning on the car.

This is a great post. Would you consider evaluating it as if I was going to make it the first post of a sticky post entitled something like "Why your Model 3 may have oder in HVAC, and what to do about it"?

I could do it as is, but also wanted to let you know I was considering it and see if there were any other changes / additions you might want to make if it were to be the first post of a sticky on the subject.

Great post!

Thanks! And to be completely transparent, a lot of what I’ve tried and learned was from comments on this message board so it’s been a community effort. 😀

One small thing I’d change after re-reading…I didn’t mention in the second paragraph that you need to pop the vent cover off before you see the vent opening (it’s just second nature to me so I completely forgot).

I’d also add this to the list of remedies (with some hesitation):

• Turn fan on low, open the frunk, pull off the vent cover and spray lysol into the intake. My hesitation here is that when I did it, the lysol smell lasted for weeks and I don’t think it really did much to eliminate the odor. If you do this, I’d recommend it as an additional step to the coil cleaner and removing the filter first (so it doesn’t just soak up the spray)