Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smelly stinky socks / mold in Model 3 AC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not just a Tesla problem. Our Toyota RAV4 Hybrid has it even worse, and Toyota tells me it's because I keep the recirculate on. First off, recirculate comes on by default upon vehicle startup even though I turn it off. Unlike the Model 3/Y, I can't spray the cleaner onto the evaporator or even through the drain line, and trying to force it down the front vents doesn't work.

It smells like old mildew/sweaty socks to us. The Tesla did this once since we bought it and I did the cleaner when I swapped out the cabin air filter.

hmm that's the other car I'm looking it for the wife ( RAV4 prime since it's a PHEV)

What year is it?

If anybody is replacing their filters, AutoZone now sells air filters for the Model 3. They are specific for it and two come in the box. They seem like good quality, but I won't be installing them yet (I haven't had the stinky socks smell). The filters were around $30 IIRC.
View attachment 820671
View attachment 820672View attachment 820673
View attachment 820679

any of these mold resistant?

If not I might just go w/ OEM. Mobile service is scheduled for next week.

Do they do disinfect/ foam or just swap filters? If they don't is there a way to get the foam in my self from the vents or from the intake area?

Last edited:
any of these mold resistant?

If not I might just go w/ OEM. Mobile service is scheduled for next week.

Do they do disinfect/ foam or just swap filters? If they don't is there a way to get the foam in my self from the vents or from the intake area?
The box says the STP filters are antibacterial, but not sure if that helps with mold or fungus. Mobile service will likely just swap your filters and spray cleaning foam into the cavity where they go. You can do that yourself too.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh and Rmchrger
The box says the STP filters are antibacterial, but not sure if that helps with mold or fungus. Mobile service will likely just swap your filters and spray cleaning foam into the cavity where they go. You can do that yourself too.

yeah not very handy for DIY where these are located. I wish they were in glove compartment like highlander etc.

thx! Can you stick that in thru vents or intake?
i removed the old filters and used the odor eliminator in the same hole where the filters would have been. followed the instructions and put the new filters in. I dont think the vents is a good spot and the intake by the hood may be doable if you avoid the drainage hole. But I think using the air filter spot is best.

If the goal is coil cleaning, you can't reach there from the under hood vent: filters are in the way first. Going the other way (through the vents): I don't know if that's possible but even if it is, you'll be on the coil's back (exit) side which is facing down, so hard for cleaner to go UP in it. Plus you can't see what you're doing. I would say the only real way to do it is through the filter hole.

Mike

If the goal is coil cleaning, you can't reach there from the under hood vent: filters are in the way first. Going the other way (through the vents): I don't know if that's possible but even if it is, you'll be on the coil's back (exit) side which is facing down, so hard for cleaner to go UP in it. Plus you can't see what you're doing. I would say the only real way to do it is through the filter hole.

Mike
The other way will be to go through the AC drain hole. I remember injecting the cleaning foam from the drain hole instead of the standard filter location. I will report back how good it will stay until the smell come back.

Reactions: android04
We have the heat issue, but not the humidity in AZ. The car bakes plenty when I drive though, but I think you might be on to something if the AC not running in garage is the problem..

What was the Rav4 fix? (my other favorite CUV BTW!)

I'm having ranger come on Fri. to replace filter. Do they do the cleaning/ foam as part of the service charge?

The RAV4 fix was major deconstruction (removing seats and dash) to replace the AC box with a new design. I can dig up the TSB if needed.

The RAV4 fix was major deconstruction (removing seats and dash) to replace the AC box with a new design. I can dig up the TSB if needed.

No thx. though Good for Toyota on really fixing it. TSLA focus is elsewhere.

TSLA Phone rep said to run the AC b/f getting in car. Also they've changed filter design, supposedly. I'll know soon!

Someone found a solution. Someone try it out and report back.

" Only posting this cause I see a million questions a day about Stinky A/C Odor in all models when it’s been humid or after a rain!
We’ve had our Model 3 Performance almost a year now, and every 3 months I notice the climate starting to smell bad, many of y’all are insightful & share how to replace your cabin filter and clean the evaporator coils (which should be done annually or 12-15k miles) I’m at 21k😅 but my filter is clean!
But this solution really works to get rid of the smell and it takes no disassembly!
• Have your car parked with plenty of battery
• Go to climate on your app and run it on HI with Defrost on (defrost forces the air out even hotter & you can hear the heat pump ramp up)
• Run the climate on defrost for atleast 20 minutes (this will not damage anything in your car, summer heat is hotter, but please remove any drinks, makeup etc in the car)
• Once your 25 minute timer goes off on your phone (set one, because I forgot once for an hour) run your climate at 72° for another 5-10 minutes to cool the interior
  • This basically force dries anything in your evap coil, and pulls out any moisture (which causes the stink sock smell) in your HVAC system & Filter
Now enjoy the new car smell! ( It’ll last atleast a few months or many weeks if it’s still humid out)
If you’re dealing with odors, just try this out first! (unless you’re at 35k miles with original air filter) "

Reactions: winsrufer
Someone found a solution. Someone try it out and report back.

" Only posting this cause I see a million questions a day about Stinky A/C Odor in all models when it’s been humid or after a rain!
We’ve had our Model 3 Performance almost a year now, and every 3 months I notice the climate starting to smell bad, many of y’all are insightful & share how to replace your cabin filter and clean the evaporator coils (which should be done annually or 12-15k miles) I’m at 21k😅 but my filter is clean!
But this solution really works to get rid of the smell and it takes no disassembly!
• Have your car parked with plenty of battery
• Go to climate on your app and run it on HI with Defrost on (defrost forces the air out even hotter & you can hear the heat pump ramp up)
• Run the climate on defrost for atleast 20 minutes (this will not damage anything in your car, summer heat is hotter, but please remove any drinks, makeup etc in the car)
• Once your 25 minute timer goes off on your phone (set one, because I forgot once for an hour) run your climate at 72° for another 5-10 minutes to cool the interior
  • This basically force dries anything in your evap coil, and pulls out any moisture (which causes the stink sock smell) in your HVAC system & Filter
Now enjoy the new car smell! ( It’ll last atleast a few months or many weeks if it’s still humid out)
If you’re dealing with odors, just try this out first! (unless you’re at 35k miles with original air filter) "

this seems like it will work if there is no mold.

Wonder if it will kill anything that's already there. I'm at 28k miles and my 2nd replacement (1st one was courtesy a few months after delivery in 2019)