Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SMET2 meters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I’ve received an email from my electricity provider offering a free gas and electricity smart meter.

Are there any disadvantages of installing g it?

Did anyone have a bad experience and regrets getting it?

These come with an in-home device that consumes additional power. Depends if the live display of use helps offset some to compensate for that.

Because they are over-the-air updatable (SMETS2) they are susceptible to remote exploit attack that could lead to ridiculous billing and halting of service by the providers while they investigate.

Getting one installed typically involves a house-wide electrical inspection too, which may find issues requiring attention and extra expense for the sake of this.

There is some convenience in reading meters without having to physically inspect the device. Beware that energy providers may still mess up the meter serial numbers during transfer. Oddly during transfer you'll also have to manually give meter readings for the smart meter (for the first bill), due to the lengthy delays in switching gas (far slower than electricity, 6–8 weeks vs 2).

The in home display does not need to be plugged in which would stop it's tiny consumption.

There is no evidence that they are open to malisous attacks.

I have had them fitted at two properties and have not had an electrical survey either time.

Any type of meter will case a problem if the serial number is recorded wrongly.

There are problems with smart meters that you seem to have ignored.
The south of the country uses 3G to connect and this is to be switched off shortly.
The north uses a dedicated radio network which interferes which certain radar systems notably RAF Fylingdale, which means that at the present time a large area cannot have a smart meter.

Reactions: MrBadger
The "Smart Meter" project has a simple objective: save the supply companies money as they don't need to employ meter readers. Eventually, possibly, they will take a reading every 30 mins and the rate charged will go up and down. Given the impossibility of getting Scottish Power to move us on to a variable tarif so I can charge at night, I'm not holding my breath.
Why will Scottish Power NOT move us to their EV tarif? The 3G signal at the meter box isn't reliable enough... I could have told them that.
4G isn't much better.

Weather a smart meter is right depends on your perspective, not having a reader call to inspect/read the meters may be viewed as a positive, however Smart meters don't save anything for the customer - which is how they seem to be marketed - they save a shed load to the energy companies because they can get rid of the meter readers - and do you think they will pass those savings on to the customer? - decide yourself.

The big negative for me is that when majority of customers have adopted the smart meter the energy companies will be able to introduce variable charging - so at peak times charge a higher rate for the energy supplied per KWhr- so if you want to eat at the time most people eat you will pay more for the energy, likewise in the winter the gas for your boiler will be charged at a higher rate.

The energy companies say the customer doesn't have to have a smart meter fitted by law but quite a few of them choose their words carefully and by semantics they imply all customers must have one by a certain date as a government instruction - which is misleading. My fear is that the next game the energy companies will play is using safety as an issue - "Your meter is ten years old and needs to be replaced and only smart meters are available - no new Schlumberger meters made any more" - and therefore no choice in the matter (despite when it suits the energy companies they leave the old Schlumberger units in place for 50 years with only a non qualified "Gas Reader" supposedly carrying out a safety check when they read them)

So, if you want variable charging, or perhaps to save money you would prefer to eat at 2300hrs then fill your boots and have a smart meter

The "Smart Meter" project has a simple objective: save the supply companies money as they don't need to employ meter readers.

Actually, smart meters are mostly to do with 'demand side response' (DSR), not that they ever advertised it as such as many would run a mile. We are potentially over the honeymoon 'carrot' period and possibly heading into the 'stick' period.

Various articles relating to DSR relating to both commercial and domestic scenarios. Here is a link to a randomly chosen 2014 one to give a rough idea of what DSO and smart meters was aiming to achieve https://innovation.ukpowernetworks....s-an-Alternative-to-Network-Reinforcement.pdf

Last edited:
Even more stupidly, our neighbour across the street has a smart electricity, but a dumb gas meter, because the meter boxes are on opposite sides of the house and too far apart to talk to each other. Surprisingly, this is not an uncommon problem and one that seems to be ignored.
In two years our neighbour has not had a gas meter reading: the supplier has told her she has to read the meter and enter the reading on the suppliers website. At 93 our neighbour lives on her own and is fiercely independent, she has no internet and no mobile phone. So she hasn't had a bill: as she is 93 and classified as vulnerable hey cannot terminate supply. She offered to send a reading by mail but that was refused, it seems. The latest position is that she has told the supplier that the meter is accessible to be read!
Impasse it seems.

• Funny
Reactions: UkNorthampton
The "Smart Meter" project has a simple objective: save the supply companies money as they don't need to employ meter readers. Eventually, possibly, they will take a reading every 30 mins and the rate charged will go up and down.

"Eventually" ! This has been happening for years... there are references to it on this very forum. There are several objectives and a very basic and useful one is the saving of meter reading. A more significant objective is to optimise the delivery of electricity around the country. This will enable the reduction of carbon production and even facilitate the move to wider EV adoption. Yes, the actual process of getting these systems properly sorted has been a pain but this is just becasue it's been done badly, not because it's a bad idea.

They’re useful to open up some time of use tariffs which can be useful to you. Although we had a meter reader turn up out of the blue to read mine despite being with octopus and seeing the remote readings every half hour

We've had a SMETS2 meter for a couple of years. The benefit is we do get readings every 30 minutes and a variable cost tariff. This allows us to control our time of use more than we could with a traditional meter. The benefit in shifting use away from peak demand times is a green grid, as the high demand periods tend to use the dirties forms of generation.

Earlier post stating Octopus wouldn't fit one because the regulator wouldn't allow them to must be due to some particular circumstances. Octopus have been the leaders in pushing smart metering and variable pricing.

They’re useful to open up some time of use tariffs which can be useful to you. Although we had a meter reader turn up out of the blue to read mine despite being with octopus and seeing the remote readings every half hour
Don't they still need a manual check every couple of years? (Also to check that you haven't tapped the supply before the meter ...)

Reactions: init6
Hi

I’ve received an email from my electricity provider offering a free gas and electricity smart meter.

Are there any disadvantages of installing g it?

Did anyone have a bad experience and regrets getting it?
I wouldn't. I'm currently having plenty of chats with Scottish Power over mine. After it was installed I've been charged the wrong rates and they will not refund me at the moment. I'm having to go through all the figures manually and calculate it before they will look at this.

Smart Meter only gives you an idea one how much energy you are using, it doesn't submit meter readings, only every 3 months unless you push to submit. I found it a pain in the neck and wish I never had it installed.

I wouldn't. I'm currently having plenty of chats with Scottish Power over mine. After it was installed I've been charged the wrong rates and they will not refund me at the moment. I'm having to go through all the figures manually and calculate it before they will look at this.

Smart Meter only gives you an idea one how much energy you are using, it doesn't submit meter readings, only every 3 months unless you push to submit. I found it a pain in the neck and wish I never had it installed.

Are you commenting about getting a SMETS1 replaced by a SMETS2 or about smart meters in general?

Yes they do. Ours has been physically read a number of times since installation

Probably seeing some unusual usage patterns ;)

Seriously, I noticed the meter reading frequently checks change when we went solar. I don’t think we have had once since going smart though although I do recall being told that bi-annual checks were a thing. Possibly more of an issue with gas meters whose battery only lasts around 10 years - which is why you get a more basic set of readings with gas to keep battery usage down.

Apologies for confusing with the electrical household inspection check, that was because at the time of having mine done the main fuseboard was also being upgraded at the same time as having external electrical charging socket installed. Just changing the meter over should be fine, free, and if gas meter within readable distance (typically 10 m direct) then all should eventually be good once both are provisioned.

Reactions: MrBadger and init6