TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

SMETS 1 and half-hourly readings

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by pdk42, Jan 2, 2020.

1. pdk42

pdk42 Member

Does anyone know how the half-hourly readings are obtained from SMETS 1 meters. In particular:

- Does the meter send the usage in real-time at the end of each half hour?, OR
    - Does it accumulate a day's readings in half-hour chunks and then send the whole log on a less-frequent basis (e.g. daily)?

I found this doc which implies it's the latter, but would be good to know.

I'm asking this because I've had the run-around with Octopus on moving to the Go tariff. I have a Secure-branded SMETS 1 meter from my previous supplier that Octopus say they can use. However, so far they have been telling me that they can't get half-hourly readings so can't switch me. After endless calls and mails where they were recommending that I installed a mobile phone network signal booster (SMETS 1 uses the mobile phone network to communicate), they eventually agreed to install a SMETS 2 meter (which uses a different radio network). I've been waiting for an appointment for this.

Suddenly though, I got an e-mail out of the blue saying that I could not join Go. Sure enough, on my account page I can now see half-hourly readings. My concern though is that the half-hourly readings may stop as randomly as they started, and if that happens I'll drop back to Octopus's variable tariff - which is 4-5 times the cost of the Go tariff. That risk would be higher if the meter strategy was to send readings each half-hour. I do have weak mobile signal where I live.

My suspicion is that actually the meter needed, and has now received, new firmware to collect the half hourly readings - but trying to get any sense out of the help desk there is sort of difficult.

2. rotor2k

rotor2k Member

I'm on Octopus Go, on my "Secure" SMETS 1 meter that was installed by Ovo several years ago (I moved to Octopus 3 or 4 months ago). Everything was seamless. I don't know if that means you have a genuine problem with your meter, or if Octopus are struggling with increased demand?

3. pdk42

pdk42 Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm moving from Ovo too. I've now had four days of solid half-hourly readings, so hopefully all is OK. Trying to speak to them now.

Actually - whilst the process has been less than ideal and has involved lots of calls/e-mails, at least they do respond. Unlike Tesla - well, we all know what they're like!

4. Adopado

Adopado Active Member

I'm almost certain that it sends a batch of readings. It's not uncommon for my Octopus account to lag a day or two and then for all the readings to be available a day later. I presume that this means that it can better cope with a flaky data connection where it may not be able to have a guaranteed continuous real-time data connection.