Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smithtown NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone familiar with the town code for Smithtown NY for EV Charger Install?
Will likely do 14-50 Outdoor rated Outlet.
Do we need a permit for this or do we just need a permit if we are installing a wall connector ?

Electricians are quoting $1800, $1200. I am not paying that on a rental property.

EDIT: Im sorry about the title for this thread it was submitted without the remainder of it and I cannot modify the thread title.

Is anyone familiar with the town code for Smithtown NY for EV Charger Install?
Will likely do 14-50 Outdoor rated Outlet.
Do we need a permit for this or do we just need a permit if we are installing a wall connector ?

Electricians are quoting $1800, $1200. I am not paying that on a rental property.

EDIT: Im sorry about the title for this thread it was submitted without the remainder of it and I cannot modify the thread title.

You should contact your town building department. They'll know better than us, but I'd wager that if you need a permit for a wall connector that you'd also need one for a new outlet. They might overlook(or just not know/notice/care about) the new 120V outlet you put in for the freezer in the basement, but someone will definitely notice the 240V outlet.

A quick perusal suggests its a $50 charge before you start work, or 3x that if you get the permit after the work is done(!), plus perhaps $100 for a 'certificate of compliance'

Have you spoken with your landlord about installing a charging circuit? The landlord would qualify for a 30% tax credit as part of the Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit.

See IRS publication 8911: About Form 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit | Internal Revenue Service
I have told them about the tax rebate, but i am unfamiliar with the code or how permits work. Do we just get a permit and then let the electrician do the work ? One of them said they do the work without a permit and also offer an inspection certificate? I guess ill have to call someone at city hall tomorrow to find out.