Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smoke so thick that Solar Panels are operating below 50%. Adding Wind turbine support?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm evacuated and the grid power is out, but my wireless internet is active so I have been able to monitor my system.

I had a new "Small" Tesla energy storage system installed in January (although not finally turned on until June) with two Power Walls instead of one (which was recommended at the time and included the second power wall at half price).

The solar panels energy generation is significantly reduced by the thick smoke in the air (not too surprisingly).

I have 4 air filters and 1 fridge running in the house. (Averaging about 500 watts usage).

After 6 days with no power, the 2 Power Walls are dipping down into the high 30% range.

If I were onsite, then I would not realistically be able to use the AC for any significant period of time. (Certainly a PSPS outage with lots of smoke in the air or other non-evac situation with a power outage and lots of smoke in the air is possible). I would wash the panels if I were onsite which should help, but probably not enough.

I would like to evaluate adding wind turbines into the mix for this type of scenario, however, my understanding is that this is not currently supported.

Anyone know if wind turbine support is on the horizon? Seems like an some additional approach is needed to increase the viability of this solution in the context of the new wild fires normal.

I could add more panels if Tesla supported this (although it is not clear that they would) however, this does not seem to be optimal value for money as additional panels would still be adversely impacted by smoke.

Anyone know if wind turbine support is on the horizon?

Residential wind turbines are generally a terrible idea. Just add more batteries and/or solar. Small scale wind is almost comically bad vs PV in terms of cost, durability and generation. Whatever you would spend on wind would almost certainly be more effective invested in more solar or more storage...

For context... here's the top 3 producing turbines for one of the most popular residential wind turbine. A 'Small' turbine on a 100' tower with a blade diameter of 23'. Wind just doesn't work very well if it's smaller than 100kW. You really need turbines >200' tall and >1MW before they begin to pencil.

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 12.01.33 PM.png

Last edited:
I'm evacuated and the grid power is out, but my wireless internet is active so I have been able to monitor my system.

I had a new "Small" Tesla energy storage system installed in January (although not finally turned on until June) with two Power Walls instead of one (which was recommended at the time and included the second power wall at half price).

The solar panels energy generation is significantly reduced by the thick smoke in the air (not too surprisingly).

I have 4 air filters and 1 fridge running in the house. (Averaging about 500 watts usage).

After 6 days with no power, the 2 Power Walls are dipping down into the high 30% range.

If I were onsite, then I would not realistically be able to use the AC for any significant period of time. (Certainly a PSPS outage with lots of smoke in the air or other non-evac situation with a power outage and lots of smoke in the air is possible). I would wash the panels if I were onsite which should help, but probably not enough.

I would like to evaluate adding wind turbines into the mix for this type of scenario, however, my understanding is that this is not currently supported.

Anyone know if wind turbine support is on the horizon? Seems like an some additional approach is needed to increase the viability of this solution in the context of the new wild fires normal.

I could add more panels if Tesla supported this (although it is not clear that they would) however, this does not seem to be optimal value for money as additional panels would still be adversely impacted by smoke.

A few questions. Are you constantly having wildfires where you live? How much wind is there now?

For us, at the edge of the SCU fire complex, we are seeing 4.5kW instead of 7.5 kW of production. But also, the wind is very low which lets the smoke get thick. My guess is if the wind were blowing the skies would be clearer and the solar would be producing at near normal levels.

Reactions: nwdiver
we are suppossed to go up to Healdsburg this Thursday for 2 nights. How bad is the smoke?

You can get an idea of the smoke and more importantly, its impact on air quality, from either of these links.

Fire and Smoke Map - this is the partnership of NOAA, Forest Service, and private partners consolidating air monitoring data and fire mapping data.

One of those partners is Purple Air, which feeds the information from their homeowner based Air quality detectors into Airnow. You can get their customer's uploaded information at https://www.purpleair.com/map .

• Informative
Reactions: getakey
I would bet that much (most?) of the reduced solar output is due to dust and ash on the panels themselves, rather than smoke in the air. It doesn't change your situation though. Maybe panels need built-in spray washes. :)

Find a fireman and give him a tip to hose down your panels? :D

Off topic but how did you get the 2nd powerwall at half price?

We have wind turbines as part of our Tesla Powerwall 2 system. Like solar PV, they need to be correctly sited, and installed by people who understand the technology. We have 4 Skystream 3.7 turbines as part of our overall system. They are on 45' monopole towers. They help balance our system through the seasons. In winter, here in Cheyenne, Wyoming, days a short and our PV production is low compared to summer. It is exactly the opposite for our turbines. Combining wind and PV was the only way we could produce enough power to get us through the dark, cold, winter months when our power usage is at its highest, both for our all electric home and EVs, while still being under the rated 25kW limit in Wyoming's Net Metering law.

More information about our system can be found in this forum at: Wall of 10 Tesla Powerwall 2 units