Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smoked headlights??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am tempted to crack open the headlights and "de-chrome" the interiors. But this involves removing the bumper, heating the headlights, then removing all the chrome you want painted... then reverse install. I've done it before, and it looks amazing.

I am tempted to crack open the headlights and "de-chrome" the interiors. But this involves removing the bumper, heating the headlights, then removing all the chrome you want painted... then reverse install. I've done it before, and it looks amazing.

There is a company that does this, as well as some led work(teslux innovations). Idk if the headlights are butyl sealed or permaseal. I'd be afraid of damaging them myself. I heard there are a upgraded version of the lights coming out and was going to wait until those are readily available before I did any customizing.

Yep - I’ve already been in touch w TesLux - I like their lighting options, but I don’t need that extra show lighting. What I really want is the smoked look on the inside of the housing.

I know TesLux is located in Oregon and I’m tempted to see if I can work out a deal.

This is what I’m looking for or similar.
CCBEA804-1E07-420C-8C27-E3BED8EBDB42.jpeg

Yep - I’ve already been in touch w TesLux - I like their lighting options, but I don’t need that extra show lighting. What I really want is the smoked look on the inside of the housing.

I know TesLux is located in Oregon and I’m tempted to see if I can work out a deal.

This is what I’m looking for or similar. View attachment 612576
Between the paint, the headlights, the wheels, and the angle of the photo making the car look extra aggressive, the pic of that 3 is unbelievably hot.

Every car shop I've about this have advised against doing this. They all state the seal does not last and water eventually gets in and these lights are expensive. I ended up using a dark tint on the outside of the lights. When I wrapped the entire light it looked really cool (sorry I do not have a picture) however it noticeably reduced lighting at night. So I ended cutting out the center area and got the best of both worlds.

Before:
IMG_1706.JPG
After
IMG_0055.jpg

Reactions: Lozzy
Every car shop I've about this have advised against doing this. They all state the seal does not last and water eventually gets in and these lights are expensive. I ended up using a dark tint on the outside of the lights. When I wrapped the entire light it looked really cool (sorry I do not have a picture) however it noticeably reduced lighting at night. So I ended cutting out the center area and got the best of both worlds.

Before:
View attachment 613069 After
View attachment 613070

Looks Great! What are those aero pieces that you’ve added to the bumper?

saw in another thread a blue MY w/smoked headlights. They look good. I'm considering on my White Y. My auto guy says it does cut down on the light -- hence maybe illegal. Dumb question but does it also alter the auto sensor of the headlights coming on?
HAHAHAHAHA! Of course it's illegal. Your insurance is at risk if you're involved in an accident and the adjuster is paying attention.