TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Smoking in Model S

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by efusco, Sep 20, 2012.

?

Smoking in the S

1. I don't smoke and noone will every smoke in my S

121 vote(s)
    93.8%
  2. Don't smoke, but would let friends/family smoke in the car

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  3. I smoke, but I nor anyone else will ever smoke in the car

4 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. I smoke and will smoke in the car but only with the windows and/or Pano roof open

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  5. I smoke and will smoke in the car

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  1. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Observed someone smoking in their car this morning (not Model S) and it made me think how disgusting it makes the interior smell. In light of the recent bumper sticker survey it made me wonder if anyone at all would smoke or let anyone smoke in their Model S.

• Like x 1
  2. phx182flyer

phx182flyer P11051

To me, this totally ruins the interior. You can never remove the smoke smell.

• Dislike x 1
  3. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Personally, if I'm buying an EV to stop polluting the atmosphere outside the car it doesn't make much sense to pollute the atmosphere inside the car.

Mod Note:
    As this is more related to the owner/driver than the car itself I moved the thread to "Off Topic" where it sits comfortably with "Bumper Stickers".

4. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Can't stand it. I hate being in an examining room with a patient who is a smoker. It's worse when their entire family of smokers is there as well. Nauseating.

• Like x 1
  5. efusco

I like it when they then deny being smoker!! Esp. when you can see the Marlboroughs poking out of their purse!

• Funny x 2
  6. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

I am a smoker but I don't smoke in my house or cars. I even avoid going to smoking establishments (restaurants and bars) because I really don't like being in confined spaces with smoke. It's just not my cup of tea. With that being said I love going out on my back deck and having a stoggie and a scotch on the weekends or having a cigarette and a beer after work.

• Like x 1
  7. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Definitely not. I have family trying to sell their home and wondering why no one bids... They can't smell it, but it REEKS of smoke. It's to the point where my throat feels hoarse after being there an hour or so. Same thing with cars, I can't see resale value being great there (unless you sell to another smoker). Heck, when I buy stuff on eBay I make sure it comes from a non-smoking home. I just don't think people get how horrible that crap smells.

• Like x 1
  8. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I think it's illegal in California.

At least it should be ;-)

• Dislike x 3
  9. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

You may get different responses from Europe or Asia, but I'd be shocked if you get anyone to select 2, 4 or 5. As nrcooled points out, even (or particularly) smokers generally can't stand the stench of cigarette smoke. Who would want to ruin a beautiful Model S that way?

10. efusco

I won't be too surprised if I see one or two in at least the last slot. Smokers are often unaware of the smell, they live in their vehicles and homes and fee it's their personal space to smoke--particularly since there are so many fewer public and even private spaces where smoking is permitted.

11. Orthonos

Orthonos Member

+1000

If someone came up to the government today and said "I've got this new product, no real beneficial effects, as addictive as crack cocaine, will kill tens to hundreds of thousands per year - including innocents just exposed to it second hand - and will be a major source of polution (air and cigarette butts everywhere)" do you think it would be legalized?? *deep breath* ok, nvm me. Although I laugh everytime I tell smoker patients how they have increased risks of death, infection, non-union and delayed union compared to normal people and they look at me stunned, stuttering that they didn't know. Right. Because I've only heard it on TV for like 35 years, let alone from health professionals. And all the pictures on the packaging.

• Like x 1
  12. Ardie

Ardie Member

I don't smoke, nor does my wife.
    My dad smoked a pipe for over 30 years, and it probably took 10 years from him at the end.
    However, I try not to force my will on others - if those sad wretches are addicted to tobacco, I don't inflame their misery by telling them they can't smoke. But they must carry their own ash trays.

On a similar thought, it seems that approximately 1/4 of all Europe smokes. I would expect that the European version of the Model S would have a cigarette lighter and ash tray in a convenient spot.

--Ardie

13. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

In your home/vehicles? If so, it's not exactly forcing your will on them is it? It's protecting yourself and your property. If someone was prone to urinating wherever they pleased, would you not impose your will on them to NOT do it in your living room?

• Like x 1
  14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I don't smoke, but I grew up with smokers... I really hate cigarette smoke. It was so wonderful when they banned smoking in restaurants here. Needless to say I've never allowed smoking in my car or home.

Years ago my mother forgot this and lit up in my car. I have to confess that I actually reached over, grabbed the cigarette out of her mouth, and tossed it out the window. (I hate people who throw their butts out the window, but what else was I going to do with the damned thing?). She was pretty pissed, but she's never lit up in my car again!

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  15. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I recall when they first banned smoking on CP Air. The Stewardess made an announcement about the non-smoking flight and everyone cheered.

• Funny x 1
  16. daniel

daniel Active Member

Tobacco smoke is filthy and disgusting. When I was a child, everyone in my family smoked except me. I never did. I was probably ten when I asked my mom for a drag off her cigarette. She let me. It disgusted me and I never wanted to try it again. I'll say it: Smoking is STUPID!!! I always ate slowly. At my dad's house (where I was forced, against my will, to spend alternate weekends) everybody lit up while I was still eating. If I waved the smoke away at table or in the car, my dad would scold me for being rude!!! Smoking in the presence of children is CHILD ABUSE!!!

Okay, so there are two kinds of smokers: There are smokers who acknowledge that it's a bad habit and that second-hand smoke is disgusting and causes a thousand kinds of disease, and they avoid smoking around non-smokers or in other people's cars and homes. Then there are the a-holes who insist that it's their right to smoke wherever they damn well feel like it. When my step-father's health was deteriorating from cigarettes, he would insist petulantly that cigarettes were the only thing keeping him alive. He would smoke in no-smoking areas and in buildings where the fire department had prohibited smoking. A friend arrived at my house and I asked him to please put out his cigarette before coming in. He didn't reply. He didn't say a word. He just turned around and left and never spoke to me again.

Tobacco companies are absolutely no different than drug cartels and their executives belong in prison.

I do not permit smoking in my home or my car. I won't go places where smoking is permitted. And I do not spend time with smokers who do not respect other people's lungs. I have friends who smoke, but they do it out of doors and are careful to stay downwind.

Today there was a smoker in the car ahead of me, and even that far away I could smell it, and it was disgusting. If I didn't already know that our government is a corrupt pack of gangsters, the fact that tobacco is not illegal would be proof enough.

17. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

It is kind of amazing. If the effects of smoking were from something else (chemical used in plastic water bottles, additive to a certain kind of food...etc) it would be banned faster than you could blink. We just accept it since it has been around so long and no one has the will to do much about it.

18. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Holy hyperbole batman! Daniel REALLY hates smokers haha. I don't think tobacco companies are like drug cartels though. I respect anyone's decision to smoke, just don't do it in a way that makes the decision for me to also smoke, even if second hand.

Tobacco companies are selling a product people want, whether its good for them or not. They've been regulated almost to nothingness when it comes to what they can and can't do, and they're still around because people still want to smoke.

Fast food is pretty bad for you and adding MSG is like sprinkling a little crack on your fries. People know the risks and still want want it though, so let them. It's not hurting anyone but themselves.

• Like x 2
    • Dislike x 1
  19. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

#19 dsm363, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
    That's basically true but if you consider the societal cost of paying for health care hurting, smoking is a multi-billion a year problem. So is obesity. We can't ban every bad thing but smoking, especially around kids, does no one any good. People want to smoke because it has been shown to be more addictive than almost anything out there.

Like I said, if someone created a product that was highly addictive (new energy drink for example) that caused cancer and added billions of dollars a year to health care costs it would instantly be banned. No questions asked. There would be public outrage that a company was allowed to sell such an addictive, destructive product. You can indulge in bad food now and then and not cause long term damage. It's tough to make that argument with cigarettes.

• Like x 1
  20. daniel

daniel Active Member

No. Just the ones who blow smoke at me. Or who smoke around kids, their own or others'. Or smoke in public places, including crowded outdoor places. I do not hate the respectful ones who are careful to keep their smoke to themselves.

They absolutely are. If cocaine were made in the U.S. by corporations with big lobbying departments, and tobacco were all imported, cocaine would be legal and tobacco would be illegal.

Only because, first, they were hooked as children by highly sophisticated and scientific propaganda which pushed cigarettes as romantic and sophisticated, and an "adult" thing to do, and second, because then they were addicted. Nicotine is more addictive than heroin. Tobacco companies are victimizing their customers, and as smoking has been restricted in the U.S., they are becoming more and more agressive in pushing tobacco in other countries. I wish I could remember which country it was that tried to ban all tobacco advertising, and the U.S. threatened severe retaliation if they did not drop the plan. The tobacco cartels are powerful enough both politically and financially to employ government to do their dirty work, and they do not shoot each other's executives on the street, but they are drug cartels. They are greedy, amoral s.o.b.'s who don't even blink at the pain and hideous suffering of their victims as long as there are more new young smokers coming along, which there are, plenty of them, in the rest of the world. They belong in prison.

Not at all. It's a flavor enhancer which gives some people (including me) headaches. It does not have crack's psychoactive effects.

Which is why MSG is entirely different than crack or tobacco, both of which put a heavy burden on society. Crack, even if it were legal and people didn't have to steal to get it, is highly addictive and causes anti-social personality alterations (paranoia, schizophrenia, etc.) Tobacco causes lung cancer and numerous other deadly and incapacitating illnesses, which are a burden on the nation's health care system, both in the smoker, and to all the innocent victims of her or his second-hand smoke.