Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smoother riding coilovers - let's built it! Band together - then approach Bilstein/MotonSo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have upgraded the shocks on many of my performance cars.

Usually cost a couple thousand dollars, but the results are wonderful. Better ride, control and adjustability.

Imaging that Tesla will release a suspension package when they catch their breath. Takes significant manpower and funds to fully develop these components.

For fairness to Tesla, their current suspension systems are superior to many of their competitors. Mercedes, previous (but not recent) BMW' and of course the amazing Jaguars do a wonderful job as well, but Tesla's coil and air suspensions provide a pretty good comprimise of handling, control, quiet and comfort.

A week ago I needed to make an emergency off ramp maneuver. The X amazed me with it's composure and control. Far better than the Jeep Grand Cherokee I drove previously.

@hatman4731 We have not found enough demand to develop a D lowering springs, but if there are 15 members within the community that will participate in a group buy, we can make it happen.

Do you have access to or relationships with engineers who can develop a complete suspension system - including dampers tuned to our application to improve the ride - not just cosmetic lowering springs? If so - what's involved in getting this going? Cosmetic lowering springs just seem so - low rent. These aren't Civics - they're six figure automobiles.

I'd be interest if someone finds an aftermarket solution. The rough ride with my 60D coil is by far the biggest complaint I have with the car.
If I can't find a solution, I might sell it fairly quickly (1 year?) and just suck up the loss. It's too bad Audi and Porsche won't have a comp until 2020.
I definitely be willing to spend a few thousand to fix this.

As calisnow said there's no reason coils can't be as comfortable as air, so I wouldn't write off your 60D just yet. There have been aftermarket solutions to these suspensions for decades now, we just have to have a reputable brand willing to explore it for Teslas.

Found an interesting option in my searches online:
Automotive Suspension Experts | Fat Cat Motorsports, Inc.

Basically its a custom suspension tuning shop. They use Bilstein monotube shocks and customize the damping specifically for your car and driving preferences.

Cost-wise it's not cheap.
$125 for 30min consultation
$400-1500 for full set of Bilstein dampers
$275-$325 for revalve adjustment per damper

Additional Feature
$110 per damper for Ripple Reducer (minimizes high frequency small bumps)
$400 per damper for Kerb Blow-off for minimizing large bumps

Total we're looking at anywere from $3000-$6000+ depending if you want the additional features. Minus ~1500 if you want them to use your existing shocks.

Makes me regret not picking the air suspension -- $2500 doesn't seem so bad anymore!

• Informative
Reactions: Deans and calisnow
I picked the coils because I was coming from a BMW. After test driving both, I definitely likethe coils from a handling and road feedback perspective. What I didn't test was the car's behavior on high-frequency bumps like the grooves on SoCal's 405 freeway. My car definitely wasn't harsh over those bumps but the air loaner I got had a smoother ride over those bumps.

I would like a ~1" drop in ride height but experience tells me that swapping springs while leaving the stock dampers tends to push the car toward slightly worse handling and comfort. If dampers should be swapped out anyways, might as well get an upgrade on that as well.

I have not tried this, but I wonder if lowering the tire pressure from 45 psi would help. I would describe the suspension as "bouncy", and to me it feels like the tires are too stiff. However, this is my Opinion only. Loring tire pressure will reduce efficiency by increasing rolling resistance.

I like where this thread is heading. I would stay with a Bilstein monotube shock. 1. Because already OE supplier 2. Imho I doubt the motion shocks would come close in valving performance.

Whilst I'm not a fan of progressive rate springs, they do have their place in some applications.

I would also lean towards revalving the current stock shocks and possibly converting to coild over

I think first job is too find out the spring rate of the stock coils. Going to need some photos and measuring. There are several online calculators for this.
There's some threads that @lolachampcar did a while back that get very detailed about springs and sway bars and other stuff... you could potentially save yourself some time by reading those

Hi Shaikh,

Thanks for all the information. I did do some research last year into your company and looks like you are doing great work. One of my posts in this thread went over the associated costs I found from your website as an option to the adventurous ones out there.

There's been quite a bit of interest in Model-3 related suspensions, and I know of at least one aftermarket company that designed a custom setup (Mountain Pass Performance) with great feedback. However, it seems that since Tesla has switched to air suspension for all Model S owners the market for coil-suspension Model S improvements has been a pretty niche population and it has been difficult to find a vendor that can help with designing, testing and releasing a suspension improvement for coil based Model S.

I'm located in SoCal so I reached out to Unplugged Performance and they set me up with some dual rate lowering springs; these have proven to be not only more comfortable but less lean-in in turns and a more confident feel. The minuses are less clearance as the springs have settled and an increase in small-bump vibrations absent in air suspensions, particularly on our California highways with the rain grooves.

Is there any way your company can improve on the small vibration issue without going into an entire suspension swap? Cost is of course a concern here as it's a hard pill to swallow when the air suspension was $2500 back when we ordered our cars, and so far the companies I've talked to have quoted above that amount without being able to reach the comfort level of air suspension. Model S's are less suited for track duty due to the less capable battery thermals and I'm not looking for a race setup, just something that allows me to have a smoother, more confident ride without resorting to only lowering springs.