Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SMS Text Notification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In all the other cars i've ever owned or driven, whenever I pair my phone to my stereo it will always alert me (audible or visual) that a text message has been sent. For some reason it isn't working on the model 3. Is this on purpose or is there a setting I can change to enable this?

You mean you want one of the most technologically advanced cars on the road to be able to do something that other cars have been able to for the past 10 years? Clearly Tesla knows better than we do and thinks we shouldn't have this capability!

Seriously though, I still don't understand how this is not supported on any Tesla vehicle. Maybe version 9 will bring some of this functionality but I'm not going to hold my breath...

You mean you want one of the most technologically advanced cars on the road to be able to do something that other cars have been able to for the past 10 years? Clearly Tesla knows better than we do and thinks we shouldn't have this capability!

Seriously though, I still don't understand how this is not supported on any Tesla vehicle. Maybe version 9 will bring some of this functionality but I'm not going to hold my breath...

I mean... same way it doesn't support music playback from a pulled-in phone like cars did 10 years ago... or same way it doesn't support waypoints like Garmins did 15 years ago... or same way it doesn't offer any sort of a decent USB playback interface like cars 10 years ago did...

In short the whole infotainment suite on Teslas is absolutely terrible. Embarrassingly so.

That said- I'd rather have EAP and crap infotainment than awesome infotainment and no EAP.

For iPhone users...

My teenager trained me to use my iPhone's hands free features to send iMessages to people in my address book.

"Hey Siri"

Wait for the acknowledgment sound which is often a bit delayed over the car speakers.

"Tell Elon Musk"

Siri responds "What do you want to tell Elon Musk"?

"Elon, this M3 is the best!"

Siri responds "Your message to Elon Musk reads 'Elon, this M3 is the best!', ready to send it?"

"Send" or "Cancel" if Siri screwed it up.

I avoid the Tesla voice control except to navigate.

i love this argument. ______ car does this but Tesla can't! terrible. Never mind the 50 things teslas can do other cars can't.

For me, i have an apple watch. so notifications for texts come to my wrist, i never miss it on a car screen. turned that feature off in my old lexus anyways, got super annoying when 50 people texted me at the same time.

i love this argument. ______ car does this but Tesla can't! terrible. Never mind the 50 things teslas can do other cars can't.

For me, i have an apple watch. so notifications for texts come to my wrist, i never miss it on a car screen. turned that feature off in my old lexus anyways, got super annoying when 50 people texted me at the same time.

I think it's a valid argument. Most cars on the road with decent infotainment systems have some sort of integrated text message capability. I don't think it's too much to ask for Tesla to support this as well.

I too have an Apple Watch but find reading messages on it while driving to be dangerously distracting so I try to avoid doing it. I do however use it to dictate text messages while driving at times, but I'd prefer for the Model 3 to support this on its own.

Reactions: RBowen and rdlink
Thats not the point of this, at all. Phone integration is abysmal in Tesla vehicles, there's no arguing. Proper integrations allow messages to be received and sent without diverting attention from the road.
How can messages be received and sent without diverting attention from the road in any vehicle? Isn't that why texting while driving is illegal?

• Disagree
Reactions: stretchymantis

I’m not getting your argument - I’m glad that Tesla’s have features that other cars don’t. I love my car. That doesn’t have any impact on whether or not it’s excusable that a lack of meaningful phone integration beyond simple Bluetooth exists. You don’t get any text integration. You can’t do anything with music on a phone except pause/play and skip forward or backwards. Many other cars let you choose from playlists, etc. The list goes on and on.

I’m simply not buying the argument that because Tesla’s have other amazing features that we shouldn’t care that they are missing basic ones. I don’t recall Tesla’s motto being “we give you amazing stuff but will make you settle on basics.”

Unsurprisingly, as a small company struggling to become profitable Tesla cannot offer every feature offered by car companies that have been in business for many decades and have vastly greater resources than Tesla has.

Surprisingly, Tesla offers an incredible combination of features that, as a whole, no other car company comes close to matching: a reliable high performance all electric drivetrain, an extremely reliable high capacity battery pack with temperature management, internet connected cars for over the air updates, and the worlds largest and fastest charging network for long distance travel.

I’ll take that package over a few convenience features that are missing.

• Disagree
Reactions: stretchymantis
How can messages be received and sent without diverting attention from the road in any vehicle? Isn't that why texting while driving is illegal?

The same way that carplay and android auto do it, the message is read to you and you can respond via voice command.

This is by no means a killer feature, but it is one that should exist on cars as advanced as those that Tesla offers. I'm not in the camp that feels like they need to offer car play or android auto, but the phone integration itself needs a ton of work.

Unsurprisingly, as a small company struggling to become profitable Tesla cannot offer every feature offered by car companies that have been in business for many decades and have vastly greater resources than Tesla has.

Surprisingly, Tesla offers an incredible combination of features that, as a whole, no other car company comes close to matching: a reliable high performance all electric drivetrain, an extremely reliable high capacity battery pack with temperature management, internet connected cars for over the air updates, and the worlds largest and fastest charging network for long distance travel.

I’ll take that package over a few convenience features that are missing.

LOL. It would take Tesla about two months to integrate CarPlay and Android Auto into their system.