Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SMT: Nominal Full Pack tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This isn't another range loss thread. Well, maybe indirectly. Wish I would have started this when my cars were delivered. The plan is to track the nominal pack data every 2 weeks to see how things progress. (may up the cadence if there is interest).

I have a 2019 P3D that was delivered on Oct 19, 2019 and a 2020 P3D delivered on Dec 27, 2019. It kinda sucks that I don't know what the cars were delivered with. I would assume 77-78 KWh.

I have grabbed what I believe are relevant stats out of Scan My Tesla. All my statistics are metric.

My 2019 has 8,927 kms (5547 miles) with 73.1 KWh showing as the nominal full pack. This is after 44.1 charge cycles.
My 2020 has 4,293 kms (2667 miles) with 76.9 KWh showing as the nominal full pack. This is after 21.0 charge cycles.

Both cars are typically charged to between 80-90%. Both cars have had 2-3 charges above that (100% or near) and neither car has been below 15%.

Both cars are driven near daily (Sat and Sundays we might take only one car). Both cars have the same wheels summer (stock 20") and winter (Fast FC04 18"). Both cars are completely wrapped with Stek DynoMatt.

I have started a google sheet here.

Anyone else tracking this or anything else?

DD5855C2-9F73-4540-9E66-D9C0BC0E1D4F.jpeg

2018 Long Range, AWD, 18" areo covers on all the time
For about 12 months I charged daily at home to 90%
Since Sept 2019 I've charged daily at home to 80%

24,000 miles

Nominal full pack: 70.6
DC Charge Total: 525 kWH
AC Charge Total: 7209 kWH
Regen Total: 1999 kWH

100% charge estimate: 292 miles (~6% degradation)

Thasnk OP, I'd love to see this kind of information gathered, mostly cause I'd like to feel a bit better about my own situation.

September 2019 AWD
6300 miles
Nominal Full Pack: 72.2 kWh

I started tracking at around 3000 miles (December 2019), at that time nominal full pack = 74 kWh. The nominal full pack seems to stay steady for the duration of each month, until the end of the month, when it drops about 0.3-0.6 kWh, so I've seen somewhat of a stepped decline rather than a linear decline. The value fluctuates about 0.1-0.2 kWh. Charging is mostly level 2 charging to 80 or 90%, charged once to 100% to see if was possible to nudge the value upwards.

This isn't another range loss thread. Well, maybe indirectly. Wish I would have started this when my cars were delivered. The plan is to track the nominal pack data every 2 weeks to see how things progress. (may up the cadence if there is interest).

I have a 2019 P3D that was delivered on Oct 19, 2019 and a 2020 P3D delivered on Dec 27, 2019. It kinda sucks that I don't know what the cars were delivered with. I would assume 77-78 KWh.

I have grabbed what I believe are relevant stats out of Scan My Tesla. All my statistics are metric.

My 2019 has 8,927 kms (5547 miles) with 73.1 KWh showing as the nominal full pack. This is after 44.1 charge cycles.
My 2020 has 4,293 kms (2667 miles) with 76.9 KWh showing as the nominal full pack. This is after 21.0 charge cycles.

Both cars are typically charged to between 80-90%. Both cars have had 2-3 charges above that (100% or near) and neither car has been below 15%.

Both cars are driven near daily (Sat and Sundays we might take only one car). Both cars have the same wheels summer (stock 20") and winter (Fast FC04 18"). Both cars are completely wrapped with Stek DynoMatt.

I have started a google sheet here.

Anyone else tracking this or anything else?
76.9 kWh is pretty good on your 2020 car. What are your rated miles at 100%, and have you lost any rated miles since new? Just as a suggestion, you might want to add rated miles on the spreadsheet; new vs. current.
How did you get the data in that spreadsheet form? It looks like you just manually entered it which would take a while for that much data.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
have you lost any rated miles since new

My guess would be he's showing 296 or 297 rated miles (when extrapolating from 90%) assuming he has the 20" selection. Or about 319 if he's using the 18" selection.

Would be interesting to get the data point, though.

I agree with the OP that it is unfortunate that we don't have any data on brand new vehicles. If there is anyone out there who gets SMT for their car when it is brand new, be sure to post the data...

Reactions: ran349
Sorry to intrude and for the noob question, but what is nominal full pack and how do you find (calculate?) it?
Thanks.

To know the exact value you have to have ScanMyTesla or a similar tool. But you can also calculate the approximate minimum (it's a minimum value when your full pack energy exceeds the nominal maximum value in the table) current value from your rated miles at 100%, if you know your charging constant.

The grayed out column in this table has it (note that the value for the SR (not the SR+) is incorrect):

2020, 2019, 2018 Model 3 Battery Capacities & Charging Constants

Note that the energy per displayed rated mile is NOT equal to the charging constant, though. The energy content of each rated mile (displayed) is actually 4.5% less than that charging constant. This is listed in the table of course.

BTW, my estimate above is for the 2020 vehicle. The OP's 2019 vehicle very likely has about 298 miles at 100%, give or take a mile. And presumably @golfleep 's vehicle has about 295 miles at 100%.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3 and iMoe
I just got the scan my tesla app up and running. I've been trying to understand my extreme degradation. My car charges to 269 miles at 100%. Now i can see my nominal full pack power is 66.5 kwh.

Is there any way to know the specific brick power capacity?

View attachment 517852
It's wild.
How old is the car and what is its mileage?
I'm worried with mine at 71.4 kWh with 15000kms and less than a year. Which is pretty bad. But 66.5 is crazy.

I just got the scan my tesla app up and running. I've been trying to understand my extreme degradation. My car charges to 269 miles at 100%. Now i can see my nominal full pack power is 66.5 kwh.

Is there any way to know the specific brick power capacity?

View attachment 517852

Can you post a shot of your battery gauge when charged to 90%? I would have expected you to be at 271 rated miles at 100%. Just looking for data points. LR AWD, right?

You are always limited by your minimum brick capacity since they are in series. So presumably your minimum brick contains 0.693kWh or so. (66.5kWh/96)

Last edited:
Reactions: ybbor
Can you post a shot of your battery gauge when charges to 90%? I would have expected you to be at 271 rated miles at 100%. Just looking for data points. LR AWD, right?

You are always limited by your minimum brick capacity since they are in series. So presumably your minimum brick contains 0.693kWh or so.

You're right, currently saying 270.7 miles at 100%. 268 was last week when I went to the service center. They charged to 100%, then discharged to 5%, then charged back to 100%... ~+1 mile changes 269-270 @100%. Now they are having me charge to 90% every day for the next month to see if it makes any differences. Then they want me to message them so they can run another diagnostic on the battery.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Wow... that is not good. I thought I was trending badly @ 70.1kWH nominal full pack.

How do you know the manufacturing date? I picked up at the end of Sept 2018...

I don't know my exact manufacture date, but the service bulletin ( https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10148848-9999.pdf ) says "Affected Model 3 vehicles built between approximately May 7, 2018 and August 25, 2018"... and since they did not start producing the P3D+ until ~June 2018, and I picked mind up on August 26'th, I can only deduce that mine was manufactured in that window.