Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SMT: Nominal Full Pack tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you know the manufacturing date?

don't know my exact manufacture date,

Month and date should be on the driver's B pillar.

I might bring it up to them again at some point if this month of charging to 90% has no affect.

Doubt it will have any effect, but hope I am wrong. Charging to 90% is just going to result in a lower capacity brick having to be leaked down so the other cells can charge to maximum voltage. Which does increase pack energy a bit on the subsequent discharge, due to higher average discharge voltage. But I'd think that after the first cycle to 90%, you'd realize most of that benefit and then things would be steady from there on out.

I realize my post above about the energy in the worst case brick is probably wrong...though it might be kind of close. It's complicated because the average discharge voltage of other bricks might well be higher, so assigning a certain amount of energy to a given brick is a little tricky. If the average discharge voltage of all bricks were the same, then that post above would be correct, but that's unlikely to be the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: ybbor
To know the exact value you have to have ScanMyTesla or a similar tool. But you can also calculate the approximate minimum (it's a minimum value when your full pack energy exceeds the nominal maximum value in the table) current value from your rated miles at 100%, if you know your charging constant.

The grayed out column in this table has it (note that the value for the SR (not the SR+) is incorrect):

2020, 2019, 2018 Model 3 Battery Capacities & Charging Constants

Note that the energy per displayed rated mile is NOT equal to the charging constant, though. The energy content of each rated mile (displayed) is actually 4.5% less than that charging constant. This is listed in the table of course.

BTW, my estimate above is for the 2020 vehicle. The OP's 2019 vehicle very likely has about 298 miles at 100%, give or take a mile. And presumably @golfleep 's vehicle has about 295 miles at 100%.

Thank you for this and your other posts and replies, very helpful and informative.

March 2019 built M3P+ here, about 15k miles on the odo. SMT reads 74.0 kWh full nominal. I only started using SMT about a month ago.

Charging habits: 80% limit when charging on AC at home, which happens 1-2x a week, mostly on weekends if I'm in town (I bike to work). Usually wait until a little under 50% to charge. About 100 charge/discharge cycles so far.

Otherwise, I do take long trips on weekends and supercharge. About 1/3 of my total kWh charged is on DC. In those cases I do charge to above 80% and drain below 10% if needed. I charged 3 times to 100% and always started a long drive immediately right after charging completed.

Last edited:
March 2019 built M3P+ here, about 15k miles on the odo. SMT reads 74.0 kWh full nominal. I only started using SMT about a month ago.

Charging habits: 80% limit when charging on AC at home, which happens 1-2x a week, mostly on weekends if I'm in town (I bike to work). Usually wait until a little under 50% to charge. About 100 charge/discharge cycles so far.

Otherwise, I do take long trips on weekends and supercharge. About 1/3 of my total kWh charged is on DC. In those cases I do charge to above 80% and drain below 10% if needed. I charged 3 times to 100% and always started a long drive immediately right after charging completed.

Wow. your battery is looking to be in great shape!

Wow. your battery is looking to be in great shape!

Thanks, I like to think that after 5+ years of Tesla ownership and 3 batteries (2 in my Model S P85D and 1 in my M3P) I have some experience in good practices.

The first battery in my P85D was charged to 90% most of the time and sat at that SoC for extended periods of time, which is what Tesla apparently recommends. Based on my research and experience however, the battery is much happier sitting around 50%.

In case you're interested, here's my degradation data according to TeslaFi (blue line) compared to the average fleet of similar vehicles (green line):

Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 3.05.28 PM.png

• Informative
Can you post a shot of your battery gauge when charged to 90%? I would have expected you to be at 271 rated miles at 100%. Just looking for data points. LR AWD, right?

You are always limited by your minimum brick capacity since they are in series. So presumably your minimum brick contains 0.693kWh or so. (66.5kWh/96)

Here you go. Charged to 90% last night. This was as soon as I got in the car. The car reports it would charge to 270 at 100% today

90_preScreenshot_20200305-050509.png

90_270_Screenshot_20200305-052835.png

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Here you go. Charged to 90% last night. This was as soon as I got in the car. The car reports it would charge to 270 at 100% today

View attachment 518207

View attachment 518208

Try setting your charge to 90% and plugging it in every time you get to your garage, for at least 2 weeks and then report back (not 82% not 85% but the highest part of the daily line). I have 20k miles on my model 3 performance, plug it in every time it hits my garage, and leave it plugged in when not using it, and my 90% charge is 274, reports in the app as 302 being 100% charge which is 4 miles less than when it was delivered to me. When I picked up the car, 100% charge showed as 306 miles (not 310).

Try setting your charge to 90% and plugging it in every time you get to your garage, for at least 2 weeks and then report back (not 82% not 85% but the highest part of the daily line). I have 20k miles on my model 3 performance, plug it in every time it hits my garage, and leave it plugged in when not using it, and my 90% charge is 274, reports in the app as 302 being 100% charge which is 4 miles less than when it was delivered to me. When I picked up the car, 100% charge showed as 306 miles (not 310).

That's what i'm doing now. Service center asked me to charge to 90% ever night for a month; started 2 weeks ago (so the numbers above are after 90% every night for 2 weeks). Before that, I plugged my car in every day in may garage and set the charge to 84%. I've charged my car to 100% about 5 times (2 of them were the server center charging it to 100%), and I've immediately driven after a full charge. I've only supercharged about 10 times. I live in San Diego so my garage has never gotten blow 60 degrees F.

Charging history; cars 100% estimate for past 5k miles
2020-03-05-Annotation 2020-03-05 072312.png

The 100% charge was the service center. after that, TeslaFi stopped recording while it was there, but they discharged it to 5%, then charged it back to 100% on 2020-02-19
charge-Annotation 2020-03-05 073747.jpg

Last edited:
2018 Long Range RWD
Build date 9/2018, purchased 3/2019
I typically charge to just under 80% daily, the car doesn't see much distance on the weekdays, less than 10mi/day typically.

17,000 miles

Nominal full pack: 72.1 kWH
DC Charge Total: 1780 kWH
AC Charge Total: 3913 kWH
Regen Total: 874 kWH
Charge Cycles: 90.3

I'd add it to your Google Sheets document, but it's view only.

• Informative
Just installed SMT. Thought I'd share the data here of the results:

Car 1 (Tesla model 3 LR DM, dec 2019 delivered):
Nominal full pack 76.3 kWh
ODO: 7994 km (sorry for the metrics here :) )
Always charge to 60-70%. Only higher when on vacation (winter trips to the Alpes)

Car 2 (Tesla model S 75D, dec 2018 delivered):
Nominal full pack 68.5 kWh
ODO: 37186 km
My girlfriend charges this car to 90% every day (not a care in the world). I would have expected this one to be higher, more in the low 70's. Something to keep monitoring.

Looks like my M3 is in good shape. So I'm at least 50% happy :)

7890 miles 72.7 nominal pack. Shows 295.5 as full 100%. I've been charging at 90% for about a month now, only seen a range increase of about 0.5 miles. I think I will just go back to charging to 70% and only charging when I go under 50. I forget how many charge cycles but it was in the high 30's

Reactions: hcdavis3
LR RWD 18” Aero (off)
Build 8/18. Delivered 9/23/18
20,500 miles

SMT Apple iOS Beta Version:

Nominal Full Pack = 72.5 kWH. (77.8 new)
Full Range Miles = 309 miles

Typical charge 50-90%

how did you get the iOS beta version? How do you like it so far? I just placed an order for the cable and the Mx+ As I’ve been waiting for iOS version to come out and didn’t realize it was coming out!

how did you get the iOS beta version? How do you like it so far? I just placed an order for the cable and the Mx+ As I’ve been waiting for iOS version to come out and didn’t realize it was coming out!

I have been following the Scan My Tesla FB page when it was announced. You can go to the FB page and get the links. The full release version release date is first of May.

I like what they have done so far with the Beta version. It was just updated to add the Battery Capacity and Range Miles. So far it has been different gauges with multiple data points within each gauge. Interesting to actually see active data while driving. I am looking forward to the full release version.

I have been following the Scan My Tesla FB page when it was announced. You can go to the FB page and get the links. The full release version release date is first of May.

I like what they have done so far with the Beta version. It was just updated to add the Battery Capacity and Range Miles. So far it has been different gauges with multiple data points within each gauge. Interesting to actually see active data while driving. I am looking forward to the full release version.
Can you post what a readout looks like?

FCE7A244-00BF-4778-AC0C-DF2A0E6CCE05.png

I don’t have the HW to access CAN bus data in my M3. Not even sure I’ll get it, so I may be somewhat off-topic in this thread. I hope you will forbear. This thread seems to be a group with better understanding of the issue than my own. I’d like your opinions if this 100% SOC chart from my 2018 M3 looks to you like Tesla capped my Vmax. The beginning of the drop @ about 12,500 ODO miles corresponds fairly well with the .16.1 SW upgrade. Looks to me that it’s stabilized at abt 297-298 miles & may even be recovering a little bit. TIA.

Last edited: