Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snagged a P90D Inventory car for $700/mnth on the new 24 month lease

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah
They make their money off the interest at 4.32% over two years. The numbers are correct and when I plug them into my own calculator I get very close to what your quoted.

The $5800 in the trade in column is the portion from your Down payment going towards cap reduction.

Yeah I noticed. That's insane though. It's like half the payment. Is there any benefit to just pre-paying the lease and then getting gap insurance in case the car gets taken out in a tidal wave? If I could eliminate their interest it looks like that's something like $7000 over two years.

yup, paying full 7% on the lease (over $7k), for just a 24 months lease. It's total BS, but i guess the deal is still good enough to go for it.

That's really terrible. So terrible that you should let someone in a state with sane tax laws have it ;)

Re TAXES: Make sure you guys aren't getting charged for full tax if you're in a state that accommodate partial tax payments. California and Illinois for example only charge you tax on the lease payment. So you're only paying tax on the portion of the vehicle you're using versus tax on the entire car.

Last edited:
Rather than paying the $750 delivery charge from SoCal to NorCal I am thinking about flying down to LA in a couple weeks to pick up the Model S and taking my first road trip back north via Hwy 1. September is usually perfect weather in Big Sur so should be a great drive.

I can get a one-way flight from SF to LA for less than $90, and mileage charges on the lease will be about $100 (400 miles x $0.25/mi), leaving $560 for food and hotel. Should be a nice first weekend with the S!

Rather than paying the $750 delivery charge from SoCal to NorCal I am thinking about flying down to LA in a couple weeks to pick up the Model S and taking my first road trip back north via Hwy 1. September is usually perfect weather in Big Sur so should be a great drive.

I can get a one-way flight from SF to LA for less than $90, and mileage charges on the lease will be about $100 (400 miles x $0.25/mi), leaving $560 for food and hotel. Should be a nice first weekend with the S!

Nice. Picturing your drive up the coast, I almost regret pulling the trigger on a local car in the Bay Area :)

Reactions: EinSV
Yeah

Yeah I noticed. That's insane though. It's like half the payment. Is there any benefit to just pre-paying the lease and then getting gap insurance in case the car gets taken out in a tidal wave? If I could eliminate their interest it looks like that's something like $7000 over two years.

ar.

They don't allow prepayment in full. I've asked. You can only do up to 25% prepayment as cap reduction.

Ok so I just spent a while reading through this thread. I know I'm late to the party but are there any good deals left or is it all a matter of talking to someone at Tesla?

I'm in Seattle and most of the deals seem to be in California (re: SoCal Jimmy's posts - thanks for all the info by the way).

One other clarification is to find the MSRP reduction is that something you can see on EV-CPO or does the Tesla rep show that?

The main part that's held me back on buying a Tesla is the coming AP 2.0 and what Model 3 would do to residual values. Obviously a car is not an investment just trying to make sure I wouldn't make a bad timed purchase.

2 year lease gives plenty of time for the uncertain future to be revealed and to decide what to do for the next car later.

Welcome to the thread.

Not all cars are listed publicly so reaching out to an OA is the way to go. SoCalJimmy's guy is good obviously and so is Aaron S. They will get you all the numbers you need to know to do the math if/when a car is added to the pool anywhere in the country. I would reach out to them quickly because if a car comes up, it usually doesn't last long.

IMHO, if you find a car deal like some of us did here, I wouldn't give a crap about AP2.0 or M3 for the time being. You can revisit these topics in 2 years and have a ton of fun until then.

Last edited:
Reactions: EinSV
I don't think the online tools show discounts or lease numbers when you are looking at their lists. Three weeks ago I used the painstaking method - I sorted by type of vehicle, then for each type I was interested in I would quickly open each one and glance at the lease rate. When I was looking at P90Ds and found one with a lease in the $950's, I knew it had to have a large discount. (That was for a 3-year lease; numbers are better on 2-year).

Note that sorting by price was not a reliable indicator of which ones would have the great lease terms. I just had to go and click on every one. Most of the cheap ones were multi-coat red with 21" grey wheels. (Though the cheapest one I found was black).

I knew the OAs had access to a larger list of cars, but my OA didn't think she had any better way to find the deals.

I don't think the online tools show discounts or lease numbers when you are looking at their lists. Three weeks ago I used the painstaking method - I sorted by type of vehicle, then for each type I was interested in I would quickly open each one and glance at the lease rate. When I was looking at P90Ds and found one with a lease in the $950's, I knew it had to have a large discount. (That was for a 3-year lease; numbers are better on 2-year).

Note that sorting by price was not a reliable indicator of which ones would have the great lease terms. I just had to go and click on every one. Most of the cheap ones were multi-coat red with 21" grey wheels. (Though the cheapest one I found was black).

I knew the OAs had access to a larger list of cars, but my OA didn't think she had any better way to find the deals.

If you want to be able to run your own lease numbers and need the discount, it shows up in the page source (search for discount). Might be worth asking the creators of some of the inventory tool sites to consider adding it since it'd make this so much easier!

So if you're looking to do a quick analysis on a P90D just look at the Tesla.com listing and if the 3 year lease is sub $1,000 then you can investigate further?

But basically it sounds like I need to talk to someone at Tesla.

So if you're looking to do a quick analysis on a P90D just look at the Tesla.com listing and if the 3 year lease is sub $1,000 then you can investigate further?

But basically it sounds like I need to talk to someone at Tesla.

Haven't been able to find any fantastic deals on P90Ds even with the help of an OA right now, but hoping for new inventory soon. I do have 2 good P85D options that I'm mulling over.

Keep in mind that online they'll show 3-year lease numbers on PxxD cars (though I think they show 2-year numbers by default for 60Ds). You have to do something special to get the 2-year numbers on a PxxD, which are lower. (My car was something like 960 for 3 years, 660 for two. 10k miles, before tax, etc).