Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sniffing the WiFi traffic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just out of curiosity - are your network IPv6 enabled? It would make a lot of sense for Tesla to use IPv6 for their internal communications, as the number of "devices" grow, and they need to keep track of them all.

Would be really interesting if you found traces of IPv6 traffic in your logs at least.

So, that's very interesting! I was thinking about blocking OpenVPN traffic on my home router and rebooting the systems.

I hope that when the VPN fails some services still continue to operate and I'll see traffic just like you are seeing.

Maybe I can even respond on the DNS request and direct the traffic to my own servers and see what it tries to do :)

But it's all about time, time, time!

Things we know:

1) Tesla maintains a control computer with a host name of "mothership"

2) SpaceX has a datacenter named "Cyberdyne Systems"

3) Tesla has a program for developing autonomous machines, at least for driving

Things we can surmise:

1) Elon will eventually become responsible for Skynet

I actually didn't realize that a mod moved my post to this thread... took me a minute to figure that out. Sorry!

I don't have IPv6 on my internal network because my IPv6 WAN connectivity is quite flaky (Comcast) and tunnel services like HE just don't do the trick.

I hadn't thought of actually responding to the DNS request... definitely going to set that up. :)

lol @ the SkyNet stuff :p

FTP server during update does not equal a vulnerability. Even if someone hacked into your network during your car's update (which already assumes a lot), they would not be able to side load any firmware, say a Trojan for instance. Firmware is digitally signed by Tesla and any tampered code will not be installed.

Well the keys & certs stored and maybe cached somewhere. The hardware is already sitting in your garage after all, so you don't get more physical access than that (unless the circuitry and buses are dipped into a misshapen ball of tar, ceramics, titanium and ebola) . And I hope Tesla audits server access down to the packet level to find outliers. A car trying the same updates too many times or exposing precisely weird network cut-off patterns may be being analyzed for vulnerabilities. There's few enough cars out there to just log everything.

I actually didn't realize that a mod moved my post to this thread... took me a minute to figure that out. Sorry!

I don't have IPv6 on my internal network because my IPv6 WAN connectivity is quite flaky (Comcast) and tunnel services like HE just don't do the trick.

I hadn't thought of actually responding to the DNS request... definitely going to set that up. :)

lol @ the SkyNet stuff :p

The Model S doesn't do IPv6. I have v6 at home and it doesn't respond on any icmp6 packet.

I was that mod btw... Sorry!