Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snippiness 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The driver profile argument is silly and unnecessary. I teach graduate level statistics at a major university. The fact is that Tesla's claims AND underlying statistics are absurd and specious, completely unsupportable. The fact is that most accidents occur at intersections and not on highways. The fact is that Tesla's AP and the current iteration of FSD is mostly deployed on highways. No comparison with respect to accident results per mile can be made with ANY statistical validity whatsoever between the two data sets. However, given the fact that most accidents occur on streets and not highways, it is very likely (without any statistics to support this statement) that the reverse of Tesla's claim is true - if one were to parse out the comparable miles for average highway driving nationally, it may well be that Tesla has no advantage, or is at a disadvantage. But NEITHER Tesla nor we have such data, so the gross claim that Elon makes is at BEST a biased guess that Elon himself knows is not true - and not only isn;t true but is false. It is clearly an attempt to twist statistics in a way that unsuspecting fanbois will buy into because that fits their narrative - hence the arguments in this thread. No folks, there is zero, none, nada, zip, zilch evidence that our Teslas are safer than the average car when using its advanced driving features (AP/FSD) based on accident statistics that are supported by accidents per miles driven.
Thank you!!! ****ing finally, someone who gets it.

For me the proof that all Tesla UI folks are single is that they took away the ability of the passenger to use voice command. I have great difficulty touching the screen accurately (I'm right handed, the car is in motion AND the screen is tilted away from me. Voice command meant I could change my climate settings, send a text, or operate the navigation system on my own. Now, I have to ask the driver to give me permission to use the voice command system by pressing the scroll wheel because the driver hates it when I lean over and push that scroll wheel myself.

WTF was Tesla thinking?

For me the proof that all Tesla UI folks are single (and destined to remain so), is that the voice command to open the charge port is "Open butt hole." Plus, you can have a fart sound for your horn.
And since the air doesn’t blow properly you could also say that they have no idea what a proper blow job feels like

How am I supposed to present better data if Tesla has all of it, retard? My entire point is that Tesla needs to be more transparent and contextualize the data. If they made their data sets public, we could all review it and see for ourselves, rather than take them at their word/interpretation. You can call BS all you want on the age argument but you'd be flat wrong. Insurance underwriting doesn't lie, and it sounds like you're going off more of a half-assed "where *I* live...." argument, which if you've been to college you should know is a trash argument.

Also, not sure who calls an edit to add a thought an "addendum" but I guess if you look like this guy looks....
Do we really have to use so many personal insults here? It gives off a very toxic atmosphere. Do better.

Unimpressed, really? Compared to why my family members in Austin went through he had a great experience. He even says so at the beginning. The biggest issue is he had was weather was overcast for large amounts of time that cut into his system's production. He was able to cook dinner, use the internet, and had at least partial power.

In contrast, my relatives were unable to heat their house for parts of days since while they had gas, without electricity their furnace would not light or blow hot air. They spent at least one night huddled in front of their fireplace since they had gas and the fireplace was the only source of heat in the house. Fortunately, they were able to keep the house warm enough to prevent the pipes from freezing.
There's no positive payback on electricity cost with such a system in Texas. In winter what he has a very expensive crappy power backup system. A $500 generator with $500 in stored propane would have outperformed what he has. Your relatives were cold because they are either poor or didn't prepare.

There's no positive payback on electricity cost with such a system in Texas. In winter what he has a very expensive crappy power backup system. A $500 generator with $500 in stored propane would have outperformed what he has. Your relatives were cold because they are either poor or didn't prepare.
Unfortunately not everyone is as smart as you seem to be to get the best backup system.

Not sure why price should be ignored, but actually personally I would choose a Y over a S or X. The Y simply uses the space more efficiently than the S, it's smaller but has more cargo room (and likely passenger room) than the S. It's also quite a bit smaller than the Model X, which is a huge plus in my book, especially for parking on city streets.

I got my 3 SR+ instead due to no Y SR option when I got it (of course luck would have it, a few days after delivery they announced the Y SR).
Lie lie lie

I'm also charging very little at home now. Tesla has taken something from me and I'm going to squeeze every dollar out of the supercharger network for the next two years before my warranty expires.
^^ this. I'll be using my unlimited supercharging a lot more while I shop around town using Tesla's urban chargers. They owe me.

I agree with a lot of what amped said, but a few fatalities because of faulty FSD will probably not outweigh the lives saved by autopilot to date.
We should never underestimate the role the media plays, which is to find and/or create drama, and how that may play out in the court of public opinion. Elon seems incapable of thinking these few steps ahead.

The assertion that Tesla knew they would have to reduce charging speeds is laughable speculation. The use of massed batteries at that scale had never been done before in a wide spread endeavor like Tesla automobiles, which would support exactly the opposite conclusion, in fact. And I'm speaking an an engineer who spent his career on the leading edge of many different technologies. Breaking new ground technologically nearly always results in unanticipated problems and solutions.
I'm sorry, but if there are unanticipated problems then I as a customer, who was promised a thing of value, should be made whole. Tesla doesn't get to walk away from its written promises that were used as an inducement to buy, just because it was technically unprepared for the reality. Your viewpoint gives every corporation a free pass to screw its customers and walk away from commitments made in exchange for money.

I also cannot wrap my head around why anyone would argue against their own best interest. Tesla is the highest valued car company in the world that will never know your name or care who you are. Why would you defend this behavior to the exclusion of your own interests as a consumer? Do you bend over a lot?

Why did Tesla say they are now using 12V LFP in the new S and X? Along with “we should have been doing that long ago”... weird, they sure are dumb not understanding batteries as well as you do...
And yes, I did use “Tesla” in place of Elon Musk...

I wonder if this will be a 3 post rant or a 5 post rant?

flooding the thread with your posts saying the same thing over and over doesn’t mean you are right or that everyone agrees with you, by the way.

it’s ok to have an opinion and share it and then when someone else expresses theirs and it isn’t the same as yours take a deep breath and go do some yoga or something, not everyone is going to agree with you, that’s ok... you must be a riot to talk politics with, haha! (Wall, let me introduce you to my head)

You are really letting your intense hatred of Tesla make you totally irrational. I see it all over this forum in every thread you post in now. The premise of the original question was for cars where the battery has already failed and needs to be replaced. Is it worth the cost to do the replacement? And then you made the absurd false statement that actually putting in the money and doing the replacement to put in a new battery instead of the old broken one would make the car worth "LESS THAN ZERO"!
It's a shock that otherwise intelligent members of this forum are so utterly incapable of performing basic, simple mathematical calculations. KBB has my private party car value at $20,000 irrespective of battery age (that is not a valuation factor). Paying $22,000 to replace a failed battery on a car worth $20,000 makes the car worth... according to KBB and every other valuation site... $20,000. The most I will get back is $20,000 after making a $22,000 expenditure. That makes the car worth less than zero. In fact, that makes the car worth -$22,000 in my situation.

Funny how math works. If you can find someone who will pay me an additional $22,000 for my new battery, or $42,000 in total for my 2013 P85, then it would be break-even. But it's not. And it never will be. And people like you talk without any evidence, without any knowledge, and with only a single goal in mind: Blindly believing in Tesla.

The replacement cost of drive units and batteries is, to put it plainly, a crock of sh*it. $14k for a new DU and $22k for a new battery. Nobody but a select few can afford this out of warranty. Tesla is a money pit.

And @TwistedGray rightly pointed out how insane that statement is. A car with a replaced good battery is obviously improved value over a non-working car with a failed battery.
Please tell us what a 2013 P85 w/ new battery is worth compared to a 2013 P85 with a functional, old battery. THAT is my dilemma and what I'm talking about. I don't care what you think I'm talking about or what you personally believe. This is about math and I'm sorry you are apparently unable to read. As far as all of my research is concerned, a car with an 8 year old functioning battery is worth the same as a car with a brand new battery. My particular situation is trying to decide whether to sell the car before an inevitable battery failure or chance owning it out of warranty.

If you have nothing to contribute, and it's clear you do not, consider keeping the pie hole closed.
And then you doubled down on it. Obviously doing the fix is very expensive and may or may not be worth doing, but it's indisputable that if someone put that money into it to do the replacement, the car would then be worth more in repaired condition than broken condition.
That's not what I'm asking and clearly you have no clue what concern you are actually attempting to address in your rude and condescending tone. Perhaps before you respond like an a** hat, try to take a few seconds to actually understand what I'm saying. Take off the Tesla tinted glasses.

It is unfortunate Tesla does not pay you to shill.

The replacement cost of drive units and batteries is, to put it plainly, a crock of sh*it. $14k for a new DU and $22k for a new battery. Nobody but a select few can afford this out of warranty. Tesla is a money pit.

Agreed!!!!

Please tell us what a 2013 P85 w/ new battery is worth compared to a 2013 P85 with a functional, old battery. THAT is my dilemma and what I'm talking about. I don't care what you think I'm talking about or what you personally believe. This is about math and I'm sorry you are apparently unable to read. As far as all of my research is concerned, a car with an 8 year old functioning battery is worth the same as a car with a brand new battery. My particular situation is trying to decide whether to sell the car before an inevitable battery failurere or chance owning it out of warranty.
Here is one data point - probably one of VERY FEW that actually exists. So rather than making assumptions, here's one anecdote which is one more than what you have.

My car sold to the previous owner for $24k late Fall 2020 with 157k miles.

He replaced the HV at 163k miles (sits at 277k today) in Nov. 2020 and sold it to me at $35k. I'll be selling it for $35k in about a week (waiting on title) having out a handful of miles on it.

Soooooooooo he paid $24k + $22k = $46k, and got $35k for it after putting 20k miles on it. As you can see, THE CAR WAS NOT WORTH LESS than what he paid after he invested $22k into it.

It is ALSO NOT WORTH what he paid + $22k because he drove it a lot in those few months and because you're not going to recoup the $22k. It's just not going to happen. You sure as he** won't devalue the car, and it absolutely adds value.

You're not only updating the battery technology, but you're also adding 4yr/50k battery warranty at that time. You're being ignorant to continue suggesting you are right. You're not.

You continue to state that two identical cars, one with a brand new under warranty battery is worth the same as a near 10-year-old car with an old, aged battery that will fail in the somewhat unknown, likely short-term future. Stop trying. Again, you are wrong.

Nashville is way too far away, 183 miles from my house to the service center (1641 Westgate Cir, Brentwood, TN 37027).

Asheville (~125) or Chattanooga (~104) either way it's a long drive from Knoxville for me. Chattanooga would be closest but ultimately there will have to be one in Knoxville.

I can't see myself driving 100+ miles each way for service on a car that will likely take several visits in the first year.

That's a factor in why I haven't reserved a Model 3 yet.
Telsa's largely don't need service. I went back to have them swap out a rear bumper (color match issue) and that has been it on the new Model Y.
Having owned five different Teslas (S,3,X,(two),Y), I have only been to the service center about six times, total. Collectively, You will spend less time going to the SC (no matter how far it is,) than you now spend getting an oil change every quarter. Push the button. Why deprive yourself of the fun?

Telsa's largely don't need service. I went back to have them swap out a rear bumper (color match issue) and that has been it on the new Model Y.
Having owned five different Teslas (S,3,X,(two),Y), I have only been to the service center about six times, total. Collectively, You will spend less time going to the SC (no matter how far it is,) than you now spend getting an oil change every quarter. Push the button. Why deprive yourself of the fun?

1. quoting my post from 2016, what I said there is true but it was 5 years ago and somehow we still don't have an open service center in Knoxville.

2. I don't change oil. All my current vehicles are EVs. In fact they are cheaper to drive per mile than any Tesla currently for sale.

3. There are a number of things that can only be done at service centers. I don't need you to tell me about your experiences.

4. I'll buy my next car when I'm ready to buy. Not because you tell me to.

As a TSLA shareholder I thank you for your past purchases. As a forum member I'd ask you to pick a different thread to post your thoughts in if you aren't from/near Knoxville, TN.

Or at the least find some way to stay on topic. This thread is about a Knoxville, TN Tesla Service center. This thread is not primarily about my buying preferences.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.