Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snippy forum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My "negativity" started when I discovered that my $35,000 car was going to cost $50,000. I think you can probably trace most of what you see as negativity to the July 28 reveal; which for me showed fewer standard features and much higher prices than I expected.

My experience with the Model S has taught me years ago that 35K will really just be the very naked base model. I therefor fully expected to budget between 50K and 60K Euro for my version of the Model 3. If it turns out to be less, I will be pleased of course.

My "negativity" started when I discovered that my $35,000 car was going to cost $50,000. I think you can probably trace most of what you see as negativity to the July 28 reveal; which for me showed fewer standard features and much higher prices than I expected.

I think most of us who've been following Tesla longer felt that Model 3 would be - on average - much more expensive than $35,000 - to the extent that Tesla would delay and possibly anti-sell the base model.

We shall see. If Tesla does fulfill the $35,000 base model as it currently seems - perhaps after October, 2017 or early 2018, I wouldn't consider that too far away from the mark. It seems like an OK base model, if released as it now looks like.

The AP is very expensive on Model 3, relatively speaking, though.

I can understand this. Again I was also extremely sold on the $35k mark, naively thinking it was going to I don't know come with a default set of features I expected. And then when they announced no key fob, I admit for a day I went all negative on the forums. For the last 4+ years, I've been wanting one of those little car looking key fobs I thought they were so cool. Now finally I am able to afford a Tesla and then am told I don't get my little car fob :-( Sadness ensues.

• Funny
Reactions: Timo
Aftermarket?

This might be a dumb question because I don't know the technology behind it, but I figured it wouldn't be possible. Like they weren't building some type of feature into the car that would allow for a FOB. I mean otherwise what they have the technology in the car and just are saving $100 per M3 for the FOB? That seems unlikely. Or again they would just give you the option to buy it separate.

This might be a dumb question because I don't know the technology behind it, but I figured it wouldn't be possible. Like they weren't building some type of feature into the car that would allow for a FOB. I mean otherwise what they have the technology in the car and just are saving $100 per M3 for the FOB? That seems unlikely. Or again they would just give you the option to buy it separate.
It wouldn't be hard for a third party to build a bluetooth fob, but I'm betting Tesla has some security in place that will prevent them from actually working. Seems fairly reasonable to assume that when you connect your phone to the car the first time it communicates with Tesla to download encryption keys that allow the phone to properly authenticate and unlock/start the car. I highly doubt there would be a legal way for a third party to access the keys.